Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Volks being repaired

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:29 PM
ztropic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volks being repaired

So I just dropped off my Volk GT-C rims at Wheels America in Miami to get repolished and recleared. I'll keep everyone posted as to the results. Apparently the original clearcoat is a PITA to remove, so we'll see how well they manage (I tried various stripping agents with no luck. The only thing that worked was the laborious process of sanding with 600+ grit....then I gave up.)
They said they can get it down to bare metal, polish the lips, and then clear powdercoat them.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:10 PM
maximumsportZ

Default Re: Volks being repaired

Originally posted by ztropic
So I just dropped off my Volk GT-C rims at Wheels America in Miami to get repolished and recleared. I'll keep everyone posted as to the results. Apparently the original clearcoat is a PITA to remove, so we'll see how well they manage (I tried various stripping agents with no luck. The only thing that worked was the laborious process of sanding with 600+ grit....then I gave up.)
They said they can get it down to bare metal, polish the lips, and then clear powdercoat them.
Cool, take pics when they are done.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:21 AM
imalazeeass

i wanted to do this too but i was afraid their polishing will not match the shine on the other wheels..
Old 12-23-2004, 07:46 AM
ztropic

Wow, they just called me to tell me the wheels are done!!! I can't wait to see how they came out!

lazeeass,
I was worried about that too, so I had all the wheels redone. This doubled the cost, but at least they will all match.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Tantrum Z33

I was told by Wheels America in NY that they weren't able to polish the lip to a mirror finish and that the re-finished lip would appear more dull.

Interested to see how it came out as well.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:19 AM
350G

I've got two rims that have very minor curb rash (most people don't notice, but I do ). Can this place fix the spots and then refinish the wheels? I may have them do all 4 (refinishing) . . . .

Post some pics and the pricing . . . thanks!

G
Old 12-23-2004, 09:37 PM
ztropic

Well ,polishing the aluminum is not the problem, they can get it to a "mirror finish", it's the clearcoating process that dulls it somewhat. Volk uses a process that is not EPA approved in the US, so no one stateside can duplicate their super shiny appearance. The clear powdercoat used here is very shiny as well (similar to HRE and Iforged), just not "Volk" shiny.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:30 AM
cehome

Post pics when you get them. I just had a wheel repaired and refinished. It definately is duller than the other wheels. It's shiny but not an exact match to the other wheels. If someone does not know you had it refinished, they most likely won't spot it....Here are some pics

Original finish

Refinish wheel

Wider view of refinish wheel. Compare it to the front wheel.

Being the **** type I was expecting a 100% match. I'm going to buy a new wheel to replace the refinish one. Anyone wants to buy one refinish 18x9.5 Enkei Silver PK6 wheel?

Last edited by cehome; 12-24-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:37 PM
ztropic

Alright, so I got them back today. I can't say I'm 100% satisfied, but I'm an extremely picky person. Right away I'll tell you that they do not match the quality of original Volk clearcoat. The clear has a slight orange peel to it, and the shine is not as bright. The repolish job could have been done better, imo, as I can notice slight crosshatching on the metal. Overall I'm happy because they look much better than when I brought them in (at least they are all uniform), but I would have expected more care and attention to detail in finishing the process. If you had never seen a set of brand new Volks you would not notice the difference, but side by side, there is no comparison.
I don't have pictures just yet, but the clear coat more closely resembles the "before" picture from above than the "after".
Old 12-30-2004, 03:56 AM
ir8

How much does Wheels America charge to repair Volks? I have 2 GT-C needing repair, so I am curious to know how much $ is saved by repairing vs. replacing.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:09 PM
ztropic

If you break down the wheel and deliver just the rim, it's $109 per rim. If you send them the wheel complete (rubber and all) it's $129. If you get just the two wheels repaired, you will be disappointed when you put them next to the originals. I went in with a set of slightly damaged, used wheels...so for me it was acceptable (only because they look better than before), but if I had two wheels in great shape, and two that were busted, I'd probably swing for the new wheels.