Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Who's interested in a 18 x 9.5 square (non-staggered) setup from Champion Motorsport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Skrill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's interested in a 18 x 9.5 square (non-staggered) setup from Champion Motorsport?

From my M3 days I am still pretty tight with a lot of the track driving nuts. With the help or RAC (the wheel maker that is part of Champion Motorsport (as in Champion Audi S4 and RS6 that raced in Speed GT), a handful of M3 track nuts created the RS110. It is a wheel designed for one purpose -- heavy duty track use. They it used a design taken from the Porchse GT3 cup cars that maximized strength while minimizing weight and is perfectly designed to allow the M3 owners to get a square setup (they use a rear spacer to give the car the proper track).

The wheel is beautiful too:

These are 18 x 9.5 and weigh about 18.5 lbs. They can be designed with a slightly smaller lip and that will get the weight to 18 lbs. These are super-strong and are holding up quite well for the M3 guys for both daily driving and dedicated track use. They are forged to 8000 tons and heated to T6 (I have no idea what that means -- but I assume it's good).

If we were to get the necessary folks signed up -- Champion would draft a local Z (and possibly G-coupe owner) to do some measurements so they can determine the exact width and offset for a perfect square setup. The goal would be to achieve a setup capable of allowing a 275 width tire with no rubbing inboard or outboard, and adequate clearance for any BBK. My initial research tells me that an 18 x 9.5 w/ 30mm offset will allow for a square setup with 275 width tires at all four corners. This is what Sport Compact Car claimed would provide the perfect dimensions and fitment: Linky This may require a spacer in the rear to provide the proper track width -- but I am not sure. Champion will be able to figure out the details.

Cost: if we did a GB, we are looking at $2900 per set (I believe that is shipped -- but I am not sure). These guys make custom Ferrari and Porsche wheels in the same design and sell them for $5000 a set. So $2900 is a decent price.

Min number: We would need to do 8 sets (32 wheels) to make it pencil and get the GB price. These would need to be pre-sold with a $1500 deposit provided to Champion Motorsports directly --and the remaining $1400 due after wheels are made and ready for shipment.

Lead time: Approximately 100 days once the min. number of deposits is received. Most of the M3 guys are getting their wheels between 3 and 4 months after ordering.

Spares: They will be available from Champion. But it is unlikely these will bend or break absent a "Mother of all Potholes" situation (or hitting a solid wall -- in which case you have bigger issues).

Color: They will come in the Silver finish that is pictured. It's a very strong finish that holds up well. If you want -- I believe you can order them unfinished if you prefer to have them powder-coated, polished, whatever on your own (price will not change however). We could probably arrange to get some Champion centercaps -- but I will have to check on that.

I am just floating this idea out there. I know there a some folks that would like to run a square setup (mostly other track rats), but there are few options for our cars offering it. I am proposing this option. If you are interested -- please post here with your level of interest.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:59 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! I like. Too much for my wallet though........

Great looking, and I like the non staggered idea.

Make them in the black-chrome (or whatever BMW calls it) finish, and I could be swayed.

And I don't need no stinking centercaps!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Skrill

Originally posted by EnthuZ
Damn! I like. Too much for my wallet though........

Great looking, and I like the non staggered idea.

Make them in the black-chrome (or whatever BMW calls it) finish, and I could be swayed.

And I don't need no stinking centercaps!
Sorry -- silver only. Unless you were to want them unfinished -- then whatever floats your boat.

Here are some more pics from another M3 owner. This is his BMW CCA club race car:

Old 02-01-2005, 05:25 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do look good and I do need a set of 18" track only wheels to fit over my Stoptechs, but they are just outa my price range.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:23 PM
DLin05

thats hot!