Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheel width performance differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:02 AM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel width performance differences?

What would the difference in performance be between 9.0 fronts and 10.0 rears, or 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears? For example, acceleration, handling, braking, etc.

Lets assume we are working with 18" wheels, and the wider wheels are only slightly heavier (2lbs per wheel extra).

I heard someone mention that acceleration would be sacrificed with wheels that are wider. CAn somoene explain this concept to me? Because it seems like the car breaks loose so easily that wider tires would get more power to the ground.

Last edited by phile; 04-02-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:37 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

ill let you know in a couple of weeks when i put on 18x9 and 10.5s ...there shouldnt really be any difference in accel., your car might steer a little bit heavier because of all the meat on the wheel, but...your turning at speeds should be awesome...your car will look bad ***, and as far as differences between 9s or 10s...or 8.5 and 9.5 ...there should be little noticable if any differences..so for me it came down to how widew can i go! the wider you are the cooler it will look. any more questions
Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 PM
phile

Yes, definitely let me know
Old 04-02-2005, 10:11 PM
joust75

Originally Posted by phile
What would the difference in performance be between 9.0 fronts and 10.0 rears, or 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears? For example, acceleration, handling, braking, etc.

Lets assume we are working with 18" wheels, and the wider wheels are only slightly heavier (2lbs per wheel extra).

I heard someone mention that acceleration would be sacrificed with wheels that are wider. CAn somoene explain this concept to me? Because it seems like the car breaks loose so easily that wider tires would get more power to the ground.

Wider wheels do not affect performance as changing the overall diameter of the wheel will. Whoever told you this has it mixed up. Its changing overall diameter that impacts acceleration and braking

I went from 18 track model wheels to 19s that were only a pound heavier at each wheel, but changing overall diameter noticeably affected braking and acceleration. Most wouldnt notice this but I did.

However the handling improvement was worth it. I went from 18*8 front 18*8.5 rear wheels with 225*45 front and 245*45 rear tires to 19*9, 19*9.5 and 255*35 and 285*35 tires.
Grip was dramaticaly improved.
If you are only getting wider wheels and not increasing the overall diameter, you will not notice a performance loss, but will see a nice improvement in the corners

In fact, if you buy decent wheels they will be lighter than stock (unless you have the track model) despite the fact that they are wider. NOt only that but certain tires are lighter than others. IF you get good wheels you might even notice an acceleration improvement.
However if you get some knockoff crappy wheels or spinnas that weigh 50lb each you will kill your acceleration.

Remember it is weight and overall diameter that affect performance negatively. not width.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:30 PM
redline350ZZ

Too light while accel's better can break....if its not Forged.... been there..... and didnt avoid the pothole....
Old 04-03-2005, 08:25 AM
lowrider

joust75 you are wrong. Wheel width and wider tire sizes affect handling in a very positive way. Increasing the OD to 19", while it looks good, is actually a negative in the handling department vs. lighter, wider 18s (both wheel width and rubber). Wider wheels with the proper offset and a good set of wider tires will greatly improve the handling in the "Z" or "G".

You are correct about weight reduction, however. Reducing unsprung weight will also affect handling in a very positive way.

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 04-03-2005 at 08:29 AM.