Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

New NT-01 tire from Nitto

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New NT-01 tire from Nitto

Went to the press day release of the new NT-01 tire from Nitto (Toyo Tire) this Wednesday at the California Speedway.

This is a brand new DOT-R legal enthusiasts tire. It has a very grippy compound, a radical siping to the tread, high modulus sidewall response....in other words...this is one fantastic tire.
Do not run it in the rain lads...stick to your Toyo RA-1's for the wet stuff. But in the dry, this tire is fantastic. I was pushing my brake points several feet deeper on the corners, the turn in response was crisper than the RA-1 I normally run, and it also promoted more rotation and oversteer into the turn with the improved grip, which took a couple of laps to adjust to for sure! This is the real deal, and will be priced somewhere between the Kumho and Yokohama offerings. I ran it all day on the track and for the dry weather track day enthusiast (not autocross) this is a terrific tire to consider for your next set.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Ugyjig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I noticed you have S0-3 in your profile, if that is the bridgestone tire, how does the new NT-01 compare? I am about to purchase a new set and was looking for something different. I currently have 235/255 S0-3's on
Old 07-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two tires are quite radically different.
The SO-3 is a fine tire. It performs reasonably well, and it lasts a good long time. BUT, it is truck like heavy in comparison, and is your basic high performance street tire. Mine are 19" for the steet with fancy wheels, so it does not matter a lot. But the S0-3 is not what you want for real sterling performance. A lighter and more advanced compound like the Toyo Proxes or Michelin Pilot Sport would be my choice, or even one of the Nitto, Kumho or Falken offerings. Avon has a pretty good tire too. I am using the Bridgestone because a friend scored me a great deal on them, and as I said they are good performers. But I will not buy a set again as I think the price/performance trade off for what I want is not fulfilled with that one particular tire as optimally as some others.

The NT-01 is a track day tire..very very close to being a slick, with a very large contact patch and gummy compound. If you ran it on the street, you would never want to drive it in the rain, and you would not get a lot of miles on it...maybe 7,500 but probably less. And you would pick up a lot of street debris and grit in it too. I think it would be fine to drive to and from the track on it...but I would not recommend it for every day use. For the track I am running a 245/40/18 on the front and a 275/35/18 in the rear. With the nismo wheels I would estimate that the weight difference unsprung is more than 5 pounds a wheel compared to the street set up. That is noticeable.