Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Whats up with the 315/35-18's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002 | 01:30 AM
roberto350z

Default Whats up with the 315/35-18's?

That would be one wide tire, but no one ever mentions this size. What gives, I think a 315 would look great back there, AND its a perfect match with the old size! What would I need, a 11" inch rim?

Last edited by roberto350z; 12-23-2002 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2002 | 04:45 AM
Luke@tirerack

too wide for the car ....
Old 12-23-2002 | 05:52 AM
BDeppe1316

it would stick out if u have an 11 inch wide tire in the back i dont think it would look that great
Old 12-23-2002 | 06:03 AM
Driven

I think you are going to see it yet. It will likely require shaving the fender along with the PERFECT offset...but I'm pretty sure you are going to see it. Luke would likely know best since he has mounted the widest tire anyone has posted to date (295 on a 11" wheel). But he did this with a dropped suspension, stock fender lip, and what looked like a bit of room to spare.
Old 12-23-2002 | 06:13 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by Luke@tirerack
too wide for the car ....
I have the Touring with the 17" wheels and tires. Is there any reason why I couldn't run 225/45/17fr and 235/45/17s on the rear? The fronts are 7.5" wide and the rears are 8" wide.

Boomer
Old 12-23-2002 | 06:27 AM
Driven

Why did you swap your 18"ers for the 17's? If you didn't...I've never heard of any Touring models coming with 17". So this makes your question seem strange. If you truely do have 17" wheels...why would you want to stick with the same width tires...but throw off the stock spec by going with a thinner sidewall?? You will have no notable performance gain...mess up your speedometer...and have a stiffer ride?? I'm confused.
Old 12-23-2002 | 07:37 AM
DrDrilZ

all touring auto's come with 17's
Old 12-23-2002 | 09:23 AM
Driven

Wow! That is very strange: Nissan lists ALL Touring models with the 18" wheels (six spoke non RAYS) the same way they list the Performance model! AND EVERY "Touring" model Z I've seen in person has had the 18" 6 spoke wheels. Your above posts look like you both are from the States, right? So that doesn't account for the discrepency...what gives?
Old 12-23-2002 | 11:01 AM
03Z33

Cool maybe if you had over 400HP

315 is way too wide for performance, maybe if you where going for all show? you would also have to go much wider in the front to compensate for all that extra grip in the rear (lots of under steer!)
Old 12-23-2002 | 11:11 AM
Driven

Mine will have over 400hp...eventually. But even so, I would only do the 315 if it were for all show....I agree it wouldn't be very functional, even if it could be done. The widest I am considering myself is a 295...but will happily settle for 285 if everything works out as best overall looks/performance. I think the initial post above was purely a question as to why no one has discussed this size yet...surely there will be those that are all about show not "go", won't there?
Old 12-23-2002 | 02:24 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Driven
Wow! That is very strange: Nissan lists ALL Touring models with the 18" wheels (six spoke non RAYS) the same way they list the Performance model! AND EVERY "Touring" model Z I've seen in person has had the 18" 6 spoke wheels. Your above posts look like you both are from the States, right? So that doesn't account for the discrepency...what gives?
All Touring 5AT models come with 7 spoke, 17" wheels. Whats the problem? This has not been a secret and I prefer 17s any way, I don't intend to race, autox or otherwise. Every 6MT Touring has the 18s, +VDC. You need to read the specs on NissanDriven.com more closely. I assure you it is true.

My reason for asking Luke about sizes is that I need all season tires on my Z, it is not a garage queen and the RE040s are "summer" tires and undriveable in the snow. Also, the exact replacements are not what I want. The sizes I've inquired about are pretty close to the stock size and the stock sizes are hard to find in all season tires, no thanks to Nissan for their O.E. tires. They fit the wheels perfectly as well. Sorry to be so terse, but other members have heard my opinion of the stock tires many times and it isn't favorable.
Old 12-23-2002 | 02:32 PM
Driven

I concur 100% on your opinion of the quality of our stock tires. That is the only area I truely think Nissan screwed us on! Anyway, my apologies...I didn't understand your reason for asking...your original post said nothing about winter tires (unless I missed it) and I assumed you were asking out of interest of improving performance in general...which is why it made no sense to me. Additionally...I have not seen any automatics....nor do I often think of anyone buying one...so my knowledge of any variations for the auto is slim to non-existant. Sorry.
Old 12-23-2002 | 06:56 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Driven
I concur 100% on your opinion of the quality of our stock tires. That is the only area I truely think Nissan screwed us on! Anyway, my apologies...I didn't understand your reason for asking...your original post said nothing about winter tires (unless I missed it) and I assumed you were asking out of interest of improving performance in general...which is why it made no sense to me. Additionally...I have not seen any automatics....nor do I often think of anyone buying one...so my knowledge of any variations for the auto is slim to non-existant. Sorry.
No need to be sorry. My dislike for the stock tires is making me more than a little testy. I would like to get something, money for 4 tires w/less than 1500 miles, but people on this site are trying to get even $200! and not finding buyers. The Tire Rack lists what I want, but its still about $1K to put them on and I'm in a priority crunch.

My wife has a 99 Maxima w/all season tires, so we are not dependent on the Z for a ride, but its my new car and I want to drive it. The crunch is, I also want some high dollar home theatre speakers and they are on sale for about $1K! Hence the crunch. I am also making improvements on the house, etc.

It just burns my butt to have to cough up another $1K to buy new all season tires right now. If I want to drive it in snowy weather, the stock tires are out, they are the poorest tires for winter some people have ever seen. Dangerous to life and limb.

Ah well, I'm probably screwed for the speakers, but new tires are a must, so I am trying to find less expensive tires w/comparable performance and having a hard time with it. Our O.E. tires are in a size which is hard to find if you want good tires. So don't apologize to me, I'm the villain of the piece, not you. Sorry for my tone, its frustration complicated by a need/want for instant gratification. Hell, its the American way, isn't it?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-23-2002 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2002 | 07:21 PM
Driven

Well...I say...leave the Z in the garage since you don't absolutely need it...keep the sand and salt off of everything underneath...buy yourself some sweet a$$ speakers (put em on the free for a year plan if you have to) and then next Spring blow the $1000 on some real summer rubbers! No need to blow that kind of cash on tires just to get around in the slush and crap anyway...no one notices your ride...they are all just trying to stay warm themselves. And if they do notice you they think silently to themselves, "look at this fool...he's got such a nice ride and since he spent more than he can afford he has to drive it in winter." Ya know? Keep it in the garage detailed and waiting for nice weather...you can still look at it each morning.