Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

PICS of Customers NEW 19" iForged Rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 04:10 PM
roberto350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by iforged
roberto350z I am not posting the offset, because it is basically classified information. HRE and other custom wheel companies do not post the offset. Also since we manufacture all our wheels with the customers request for offset, every wheel can be manufacture with a different offset.
so you are saying that HRE doesnt know how to measure? or you have a speacial precise way for measuring offset that no one else has, thereby making every other brand incapable of making rims for me? Oh but wait, the CUSTOMER has to recommend the offset...I see...

youre right rod, this is a joke...
Old 12-26-2002, 04:13 PM
iForged

I am not saying either. I am saying HRE and other custom rim companies do not post offsets of their wheels. Also I am saying that many customers order custom offsets and custom widths for their wheels. If you think that is B.S., call HRE and tell them you have a 350z, and ask them to disclose the offset. Let me know what they say. Obviously you know what offset you already want to order for the Z. Look at some other wheels that people are putting on their Z, where they have to buy spacers to make them fit correctly.

Some want a low 20 more agressive offset, while others want a mid to high 20 to preventing rubbing. When you go buy a Nismo, Volk or other kind of wheels, they are already have standard offsets avaiable for your vehicle. That does not mean that is the best offset for your car. With custom wheels everything is custom including finish, offset, style, bolt pattern, backside setting, everything.

Last edited by iForged; 12-26-2002 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:35 PM
roberto350z

I am sorry. I was not criticising you...I believe that HRE will not disclose offset information, and my rant goes to them too. But it makes me wonder if any of you guys (like HRE, volk etc) know which offset works BEST as far as longevity and keeping parameters close enough so as not to mess with suspension and performance. The info is all over the place, and only one man has stepped up to the mike and proved to me even a little bit that his company has done research on ackerman angles and scrub radius and crap like that that I dont understand. (luke@tirerack) And then even he gave up recommendations for a perfect wheel.

So all this hush hush from EVERYONE leads me to believe that no one has the resources to do research and thus the offset info is not posted for fear of liability.

Furthermore, customers should not be allowed to customize offset because of the problems that will be associated with wrong offset. Their bearings will crack or something like that and theyll be mad and find out its because they had bogus offset. Customers dont care if its because of the offset that THEY chose, theyll just say, "man, I cant believe HRE let me get an offset that doesnt work, they suck!"

AND, if all the stuff luke was saying about scrub radius and such is BOGUS, then why didnt any reputable companies stand up and provide data that says offset does little to damage your vehicle unless there is contact with the springs, brakes or fender?

please provide evidence and not rhetoric...or I can banter HRE instead, cuz I like your wheels better, and Ill have to order from you someday!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:15 AM
darebren

What tire size is on that red car with the new iforged wheels?
Old 12-27-2002, 01:41 PM
iForged

iFORGED announces 4" lips for the rear of 350Z
After doing some more calculations and research, iForged is able to present all of the 2 Piece RS series of its wheel line with a rear lip size of 4" and the front lip size of 2.5".

On the 3 Piece FS Series we can fit 4.0" lips on the 20". Currently there is not a 4" lip in 19" 3 piece but it will be available in mid Feb. In the 18" we will offer the 3.5" lip in the rear.

All of the iForged wheels can be ordered with custom offsets and widths. In the RS Series we use

Front
18*8
18*9
19*8

Rear
18*10
19*10

In the FS series we can do

Front
18*8
18*8.5
18*9
19*8
19*8.5
19*9
20*8.5
20*9

Rear
18*9.5
18*10
18*10.5
19*9.5
19*10
19*10.5
20*9.5
20*10

Please check out our website for more details and pictures
http://www.forgedwheels.com
Old 01-23-2003, 10:07 AM
HREWheelMaker

Roberto, your rant is misguided. The real reason for HRE not disclosing offset information: I develop fitments full-time for HRE, so whenever a new car comes out, I have to locate one, measure it, and calculate all of the variables.

The variables include:
*wheel widths
*wheel diameters
*potential tire sizes
*big brake kits

All the while, I must consider all of these vaiables and how they interact throughout three different HRE wheel lines, all of which have different spoke profiles.

Are you justified in demanding to know our offsets so you can use them to buy a set of (for instance) Volks? Volk needs to do their own homework anyway, as our (again, for example) 18x8 +30 might clear your factory 350Z Brembos, their 18x8 +30 might interfere... see where I am going with this?

We (HRE) do consider stock offset, scrub radius, and other critical design components of individual cars, and how it will affect handling, stability, and 'tactile feel'... but my expertise and knowledge comes at a price, and, let's be honest, a part of what makes wheels look great is how they fit. If it was easy, EVERYONE would be in the wheel business.

Also, part of the advantage of being a three-piece wheel manufacturer is that you are a problem-solver for many of your customers.

Say a guy is building a C3 Corvette (www.stevenkamis.com), and wants 19x9.5 + 19x14 wheels with a certain backspacing, brake system, racing hubs, etc. How many people can build these for him? Steve had done his homework on the car and how he wanted it set up. He was able to custom-spec his wheels for his particular application, and it saved me a trip to Seattle... (how much would that added to the per-wheel price!?)

BTW, HRE furnishes the offset data on the order confirmation. If you want special offsets, we'll build them for you. If you have a 'standard' vehicle, we will make a recommendation, but the final decision is up to the individual customer.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:20 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by HREWheelMaker
Roberto, your rant is misguided. The real reason for HRE not disclosing offset information: I develop fitments full-time for HRE, so whenever a new car comes out, I have to locate one, measure it, and calculate all of the variables.

The variables include:
*wheel widths
*wheel diameters
*potential tire sizes
*big brake kits

All the while, I must consider all of these vaiables and how they interact throughout three different HRE wheel lines, all of which have different spoke profiles.

Are you justified in demanding to know our offsets so you can use them to buy a set of (for instance) Volks? Volk needs to do their own homework anyway, as our (again, for example) 18x8 +30 might clear your factory 350Z Brembos, their 18x8 +30 might interfere... see where I am going with this?

We (HRE) do consider stock offset, scrub radius, and other critical design components of individual cars, and how it will affect handling, stability, and 'tactile feel'... but my expertise and knowledge comes at a price, and, let's be honest, a part of what makes wheels look great is how they fit. If it was easy, EVERYONE would be in the wheel business.

Also, part of the advantage of being a three-piece wheel manufacturer is that you are a problem-solver for many of your customers.

Say a guy is building a C3 Corvette (www.stevenkamis.com), and wants 19x9.5 + 19x14 wheels with a certain backspacing, brake system, racing hubs, etc. How many people can build these for him? Steve had done his homework on the car and how he wanted it set up. He was able to custom-spec his wheels for his particular application, and it saved me a trip to Seattle... (how much would that added to the per-wheel price!?)

BTW, HRE furnishes the offset data on the order confirmation. If you want special offsets, we'll build them for you. If you have a 'standard' vehicle, we will make a recommendation, but the final decision is up to the individual customer.
I respect what you are saying, BUT, in a day and age when the public is very very informed (thanx to the internet), people tend to know EXACTLY what they want, and what look they want.

In other words, I see SkiDazzles VOLKS and how they sit on teh car, I plug in his measurements into the offset calculator and FIND the EXACT offset. I then take that measurement and apply that to the wheel I want.

I know that you will come back and say that "trust me, we will get it to fit right", my responce to that is "trust me, I have been told that many times and have been screwed way to many times for me to trust someone else with my car" See, many of us know EXACTLY what we want, and since we are making the investment WE want to make the decision.

You can keep you offsets a secret, BUT I will NEVER buy from you either, so whatever. (I still maintain that offsets are a pretty funny thing to keep secret, PLUS if the wheel is TRUELY a CUSTOM wheel, the customer should beable to order ANY offset they want (relatively) am I right???)
Old 01-23-2003, 11:22 AM
rodH

btw, I like the way iForged does it, I say I want a partular offset and he says "Fine, we will build it that way", in other words, choose any offset you want and if it is possible, they will build it
Old 01-23-2003, 02:13 PM
HREWheelMaker

rodH: I never said we wouldn't build it to your specifications- we do it for people all the time.

Sometimes, there is a flip-side to this: we actually need to bring customers back down to earth (in a diplomatic fashion) about realistic fitments for their particular vehicle (i.e. "I want 20x13 with a 5" lip on the rear of my stock 350Z").

Unfortunately, many people on the internet are spreading mis-information about technical details (about all sorts of topics), so the General Public may not be as informed as they think they are. Not to be cocky, but I am perhaps one of the top fitment guys in the business, and I do this for a living. Let's not get in a pissing contest about wheel technical data.

At the end of the day, you're right, it is your money, and you should be able to get what you want. Fine by HRE...

By the way, if you're ordering your own offset, what do you care what offset we use? I'm not mad, just curious... it seems like a very strange issue to get worked up about. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your anxiety about this (?).

Have you seen the Saleen S7 wheels we build in person? Those were built from a completely new design, not even one of our existing forging platforms. Even the inner rims are application specific on the S7. Heck, we even build a special wheel for Ferrari spline-driven vehicles, such as the early Testarossas and F40 models.

However, 85% of our customers are looking for a no-hassle solution AND an 'aggressive' looking fitment- obviously we need to have technical data about vehicles and be educated about what works, why, and the ramifications of doing certain things.

This takes a huge amount of time and resources, and is much more difficult than making a one-piece wheel in "5x114.3 19x8.5 +45, take it or leave it, have a nice day." Of the 350Z orders we have currently, they range from front 18x8.5/18x9/18x9.5 to 19x10/19x10.5/19x11, and about anything in between.

I'm sorry to hear that you'll NEVER be an HRE customer: the reality is, not everyone can afford HRE's, but that's okay. Our business will not only survive, but prosper due to our integrity.

Regards,
Bob
Old 01-23-2003, 02:31 PM
jak

Originally posted by rodH
I respect what you are saying, BUT, in a day and age when the public is very very informed (thanx to the internet), people tend to know EXACTLY what they want, and what look they want.

In other words, I see SkiDazzles VOLKS and how they sit on teh car, I plug in his measurements into the offset calculator and FIND the EXACT offset. I then take that measurement and apply that to the wheel I want.

I know that you will come back and say that "trust me, we will get it to fit right", my responce to that is "trust me, I have been told that many times and have been screwed way to many times for me to trust someone else with my car" See, many of us know EXACTLY what we want, and since we are making the investment WE want to make the decision.

You can keep you offsets a secret, BUT I will NEVER buy from you either, so whatever. (I still maintain that offsets are a pretty funny thing to keep secret, PLUS if the wheel is TRUELY a CUSTOM wheel, the customer should beable to order ANY offset they want (relatively) am I right???)
I'm confused??????? If you know what you want and know what you are doing, what do you care what offsets the custom shops use!?? Do the work and come up with your own fitment. Maybe after all the effort you put forth on your fitment you may not be as willing to give your work away for free.

Personally I could care less about the offsets just as long as the wheel fits my car properly and looks good. Isn't that what we are all after?

That is why I bought HRE. Good looks, correct fitment, no hassle.

Last edited by jak; 01-23-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:52 PM
rodH

HRE, careful when you assume people don't buy your wheels b/c they "can't afford it", believe me when I say that IF someone wants something bad enuf, they will find a way (I have NO Bussiness owning a $20,000 home sound system, BUT I DO).

ALL I am saying is that it is silly to be so private about offsets, BUT, maybe you work with the customer (in private) enough to find out EXACTLY what they want and know what to do to get it. I am just saying, when I started eliminating wheels, the ones that don't list an OFFSET or I have NO idea how they fit, GET eliminated 1st. You don't eliminate you customers just b/c you don't want to provide technical info, like offset. just my opinion.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:27 PM
jak

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rodH
[B]ALL I am saying is that it is silly to be so private about offsets,

I disagree TOTALLY. I own a very successfull architectural firm and if you called me about a building that I had designed, and told me that you wanted something similar and wanted me to give you the floor joist specifications FOR FREE I would think you are crazy!

Even if you would pay me a fee I still would not give you that information. Why? One word. LIABILITY. I have no clue what conditions (wall loads, live loads, dead loads, structural components, etc., etc.) you would be using the floor joists in.

The only way you get that information is by retaining my firm to design the complete package for your particular use.

There is no difference between the above analogy or wheel manufacturing. Why do you feel that someone should give you something for free? What makes you so special that you should be entitled to all of this free info?

The wheel manufactures have spent a lot of time and money to develop fitments for various vehicles. It is part of there business to stay in business so they will not give out offset information, rightfully so.

You want the complete building specifications for one of my buildings? BUY THE PLANS.

You want the complete offset specifications for a wheel manufacture's fitments? BUY THE WHEELS.

Otherwise buy something off the shelf with a preset offset and live with it.

Last edited by jak; 01-23-2003 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:43 PM
rodH

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jak
[B]
Originally posted by rodH
ALL I am saying is that it is silly to be so private about offsets,

I disagree TOTALLY. I own a very successfull architectural firm and if you called me about a building that I had designed, and told me that you wanted something similar and wanted me to give you the floor joist specifications FOR FREE I would think you are crazy!

Even if you would pay me a fee I still would not give you that information. Why? One word. LIABILITY. I have no clue what conditions (wall loads, live loads, dead loads, structural components, etc., etc.) you would be using the floor joists in.

The only way you get that information is by retaining my firm to design the complete package for your particular use.

There is no difference between the above analogy or wheel manufacturing. Why do you feel that someone should give you something for free? What makes you so special that you should be entitled to all of this free info?

The wheel manufactures have spent a lot of time and money to develop fitments for various vehicles. It is part of there business to stay in business so they will not give out offset information, rightfully so.

You want the complete building specifications for one of my buildings? BUY THE PLANS.

You want the complete offset specifications for a wheel manufacture's fitments? BUY THE WHEELS.

Otherwise buy something off the shelf with a preset offset and live with it.
lets get too a little bit more direct analogy.

I use to work on very high end bikes and use to be known as one of the better wheel builders around. I had access to the exact specs one needs to use for spoke length, gauge, spoke tension, dish, etc. etc.... to use for a F VS R, different hubs, different rims, different type of riding (Downhill VS Cross country VS Road). This is a VERY VERY complicated process. sometimes if you use very common parts, the info is easy to find (in a book), if NOT, you have to do a BUNCH of calculations.

I provided FREE information (easy or NOT) for people (even if they weren't going to buy from me). I found that it gave me a good name and people got to feel more comfortable with me and my abilities. Ulimately it lead to more sales (even though I am sure some people took the info and just ordered the parts off the internet), and better relations. I guess it just depends on how we prefer to do our business. so be it.

I happen to be a Physical Therapist now, I make my $$ off my knowledge (got in debt $116k for it), I go to a certain sports board on a regular basis and people know I am a PT, they ask me questions about their personal ailments all the time, I try and answer their questions the best I can, I guess I could just tell them to come in and make an appointment, or ask someone else, I just don't prefer to be that way. some people are, I am not. Fine, I just find myself people doing a lot more business with people that are like me, that is all.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:56 PM
HREWheelMaker

So, what do you suppoose I'm doing on this forum?
I don't own a 350Z...
Old 01-23-2003, 05:26 PM
jak

If you are giving away free medical advice over the internet why would anyone need to make an appointment with you?

If wheel manufactures tell everyone how to build the wheels and where to get the supplies why would you want to buy anything from them?

I respect your way of living but it would seem to me you would pay your $116,000.00 debt faster if you made a few more appointments and stopped giving it away for free.

It is good business to give clients extras but it is a successful business to know when to draw the line and charge for the services they provide. The successful, reputable wheel manufactures have drawn the line correctly and charge for for there offset knowledge.

It is wise sense in a capitalistic system to seperate being in business to make a profit from being in business to make a lot of friends and buddies.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:07 PM
rodH

Originally posted by jak
If you are giving away free medical advice over the internet why would anyone need to make an appointment with you?

If wheel manufactures tell everyone how to build the wheels and where to get the supplies why would you want to buy anything from them?

I respect your way of living but it would seem to me you would pay your $116,000.00 debt faster if you made a few more appointments and stopped giving it away for free.

It is good business to give clients extras but it is a successful business to know when to draw the line and charge for the services they provide. The successful, reputable wheel manufactures have drawn the line correctly and charge for for there offset knowledge.

It is wise sense in a capitalistic system to seperate being in business to make a profit from being in business to make a lot of friends and buddies.
i don't tell people HOW to fix themselves, I give them advice of what a particular injury could be, and what to do from there (go see an Ortho, a GP, etc......)

btw, I sure see a LOT OF OFFSET INFO out there from other very reputable wheel companies (in fact, almost every single company I can find offset info for), I don't see any from iForged, BUT at least they have posted pics so people can see how the wheels sit on the car, I have seen NOTHING from HRE yet (maybe I am impatient??).

This arguement is getting stupid, we will just agree to disagree, we don't all have to be CLONES, just b/c we are on the same forum.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:44 PM
jak

A few pics of HRE fitments on the SEMA car.
Attached Thumbnails PICS of Customers NEW 19" iForged Rims-350z-445r-ft-web.jpg  
Old 01-23-2003, 06:45 PM
jak

Next

Last edited by jak; 01-23-2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Brad4rdHay

Come on guys. HRE (as many know) make some of the best wheels money can buy, and iFORGED wheels are a great way to get afordable custom wheels (that definately anrn't slouches themselves). They are both great companies, both of whom dont like to just shout out all of their specs online.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Stone Z

Thumbs up

iForged!

Quick Reply: PICS of Customers NEW 19" iForged Rims