Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Ghetto q: But can you just spray paint the wheels instead of powdercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Korrrion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghetto q: But can you just spray paint the wheels instead of powdercoating?

I'm cheaper than Ebonezer Scrooge and I was wondering if it was possible to just spray paint the stock wheels instead of the costlier alternative of powdercoating them.

If someone could lay out a quick process on what materials and steps are needed in order to perform such a paint job I'd be much grateful. I've never really painted anything like a wheel before (airbrushed plastic model kits - constitutes all of my artistic experience right there) and I'm sure there are applications available that would combat my fear of the paint getting chipped away within the first couple of weeks.

Thanks, and if anyone could help me out on this ghetto solution to an improved stock appearance I'd give ya some cash if I weren't so darn cheap.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:56 PM
KillerBlackbird

For the few hundred dollars you will spend powdercoating your $30,000 cars stock wheels, its kind of pointless to use "spraypaint". The rattle can paint will not be able to take the heat that the powdercoating will be able to, and its just going to flat out LOOK LIKE $H!+.....

You will save money in the long run.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Please post pics when you spray paint them! And while your spray painting them, how about spray your brakes and rotors as well.

Mine came out pretty good, wife was pissed at ruining the grass but oh well, I don't have to mow now, MWHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Attached Thumbnails Ghetto q: But can you just spray paint the wheels instead of powdercoating?-mm-20086.jpeg  
Old 11-02-2005, 01:20 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

A stock car looks better than a car with sh!tty mods. If you don't wanna spend your money on new rims, then don't. But don't spray paint your existing rims, that will look like crap.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:06 PM
twenzel

There is nothing wrong with painting your wheels instead of powdercoating. Most wheels from the factory are painted. You think Volk powdercoats their wheels? no, they paint them.

Now I wouldnt buy the walmart brand .50 cents a can paint. Do your research and see what kind of spray paint can withstand high temps. Take your time preping the wheels so the paint doenst flake off. Also I would not recommend a gloss finish. Gloss spray paints look like **** and in that case I would recommend a powdercoat. But if you are looking for a satin or flat finish spray paint works fine for that

I am biased however. I painted my wheels satin black. I guess I am going to hell for painting the wheels on my average priced $30k car according to these guys. But you know what? After a year of painting my wheels I have not had one chip or flake and they look professionally done. I even had the tires replaced and there are no chips on the edges of the wheels. Most people that see my wheels assume they are powder coated. I took a lot of time on it though. It took me about a week to do everything start to finish.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:22 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Powdercoating IS painting minus the solvent.....

Yes. Volk Paints wheels.... but not with spray cans!!!!!!!!!!

Spray cans can't atomize paint like a spray gun. Your wheels will look like ***, but you will save money. You have a big conflict of interest here. Want to save even more money? DONT DO IT.

You paint yard furniture with spray paint. Not wheels.

Respect
JET
Old 11-02-2005, 03:36 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ghetto q: But can you just spray paint the wheels instead of powdercoating?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only if you want the Nissan Quality police to repossess your car.

Wait untill you have the bucks to do it right.

Last edited by The Brickyard Rat; 11-02-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 AM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

zand02max,

you didn't really spray the discs AND brake pads right? i hope that was a joke lol.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznmojo
zand02max,

you didn't really spray the discs AND brake pads right? i hope that was a joke lol.
No I think he is serious....
Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 AM
L337350

here are my ghetto rims spray painted flat black
Attached Thumbnails Ghetto q: But can you just spray paint the wheels instead of powdercoating?-zcarhouse.jpg  
Old 11-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by L337350
here are my ghetto rims spray painted flat black
Dude your rims aren't even visible on that pic... hahaha

get one in the sun or something so we can see SOMETHING. :P
Old 11-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Gryphin

he got the flat black part right...
Old 11-03-2005, 01:03 PM
tware

if you prepped them properly, the Duplicolor Wheel paint will probably come out just fine.

I powdercoated ($250) a set of wheels a few months ago and it turned out nasty. For one, most powdercoatings require a clearcoat so UV wont dull them. So the nice shiny silver I picked turned out to look gray in most light. Gray wheels, yay. Also, the e-coater didnt want to work around a polished lip, so I gave up trying to get that done, but i really wanted it. Had I been painting, I could have masked that and made sure it came out right.

So, now I'm looking are refinishing them, great another 3-4 heat cycles of 400F. Thats gotta be good for them. After a good sand blastings and e-coating, they should be good and brittle. (I have no intentions of doing this) I'm still alittle pi$$ed that I have $800 in wheels sitting in my basement. I really wished I'd just blasted them with a fine bead and painted properly.

again, supposed to be shiny silver.. and they were before the required clear coat.

Last edited by tware; 11-03-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:10 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by Ed 718
No I think he is serious....

Thats a joke, ive seen that on a forum over 3 years ago.l
Old 11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by aznmojo
zand02max,

Actually they work quite well and blend very well on my PPW 02 Maxima!

Old 11-03-2005, 04:31 PM
NY 350Z

i painted my stock 17s black with VHT caliper paint. It makes a nice THICK coat, its shinny, and it looks as if i got it powder coated. Plus why spend a few hunder when i only use the 17s in the winter, know what i mean?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
VersionS_z33

i painted my wheels before with a spray can...you can get it from wal-mart or pepboys......i forgot what the brand name was but it has a picture of a wheel on it and it's for wheel painting......it came out pretty good...it's been awhile now since i painted it and it still looks good
Old 11-05-2005, 12:25 AM
slvr_g35

Ghetto q: But can you just spray paint the wheels instead of powdercoating? Yes, but also you can steer your car with your feet, but neither one is a good idea.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:00 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by slvr_g35
Ghetto q: But can you just spray paint the wheels instead of powdercoating? Yes, but also you can steer your car with your feet, but neither one is a good idea.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:36 PM
illphil

I agree, if you want to spray paint your wheels, do it. I didn't feel like taking off the tires to have it powdercoated and was bored so I "rattle canned" my track wheels. Big whoop. I guarantee you everyone that comes up to my car asks where I powdercoated them, and on top of that they have lasted track day lap session temps in the mid-summer in TEXAS heat. Heat should not be a concern, and if you use a quality paint and prep accordingly you can get a gloss look of powdercoating. heres a close up, and thats dirt not a chip. As far as strength goes, right now I'm trying to polish the lip and I've given up on that one after nothing besides bead blasting will get the paint off- so make sure thats the color you want but hey they are stockers- screw it. And the pic is after about 6 months of abuse KEY PHRASE- who cares they are stock wheels, do whatever its not like you are ruining something you paid extra for.

Last edited by illphil; 11-05-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Ghetto q: But can you just spray paint the wheels instead of powdercoating?