Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire Droning After Hitting Curb

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Droning After Hitting Curb

Hi Everyone,

Need some help on this issue. Hit an ice spot last year and did a couple of 360's before slamming up and over a curb. Hit the left side of the car and had to get the two rims on the left side replaced.

Car came back into alignment perfectly and the dealer couldn't find any other damage. The problem is that when I drive the car between 65 and 75 I get a rhythmic droning noise and a high frequency, low amplitude vibration I can feel in the floor board and steering wheel. It's most noticeable when I am on a stretch of road that curves to the right, less so on a straight-away and non-existant when I am on a left curving road.

I just put on some brand new tires(that weren't affected by driving with the alignment out of whack) and the noise is greatly reduced on the straight aways, but still curving to the right on smooth roads, the rhytmic droning/vibration noise is still very evident.

I talked with Nissan and they said as long as the car is in alignment and no parts are visibly bent, they wouldn't be able to find the problem.

I am thinking about having it taken to a body shop to see if the chassis got tweeked, the dealer also thought maybe it was the front left bushing that is damaged.

Anythoughts on what it could be, or possible solutions?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 07:29 AM
AZ350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar incident where I hit some road bumps...my tire got a bubble on the sidewall and I thought that was the source of the noise. Now, with the new tire, the noise is still there. I am thinking wheel bearing. Once I get it looked at, I will post.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:05 AM
Starchecker

Thanks for the reply, did you have the car realigned after the hit?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Starchecker

Update.

I just had the car inspected by a body shop. They measured the chassis with lasers and said the car came inside of manufactured specs, (within 3mm) at all the check points. So I am assuming it must be a wheel bearing.