Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Do you guys think black wheels on black Z is played out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:21 AM
A Keno Star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you guys think black wheels on black Z is played out?

Well I was just wondering if you guys think black wheels on a black Z is played out? Because im thinking about getting rid of my gold SF challenge's for diamond black or gloss black volks wheels. "Not sure which model yet" maybe GT-V's or just powder coat my SF's gloss black. Anyways i know like any wheel i would get tired of it always wanting something new but im just really tired of the gold and want to go with black wheels because it's more subtle to me, therefore, what do ou guys think i should do? Stay with the gold or roll with some new black volks? And please no negative opinions im just here looking for your guys postive opinions because i know i can count on you guys for advice and thanks again.

Keno

here's my car with my gold Volk SF challenges:

and here's my Z I photo shpped with som DB GT-V's

Old 03-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Clapton9286

I'm absolutely tired of the polish lip (my personal thing, that is)..I just wish black on black looked good without it (unless you can prove me wrong)

Dylan
Old 03-09-2006, 11:33 AM
ASTIG_Z

I personally do not like the look of Black on Black. Everyone of my friends tell me that it would look the best, but I think that it doesnt give a black car personality IMO. Looks great on Silver, white, red, but the black of black is played the F*** OUT. Your Gold SF-Challanges really stands out!

If you decide to sell your SF-Challange Gold, I would be really interested. PM me if you are!

Last edited by ASTIG_Z; 03-09-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:34 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by A Keno Star
please no negative opinions
OK.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:36 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno if it's played out yet but everyone and their mother seems to be getting black wheels these days.. so eventually I would imagine black wheels will get played out like altezzas<--or maybe not quite that bad.. LOL
Old 03-09-2006, 12:44 PM
stl350

black wheels will never be played out, they've been around forever and they look great on the right car.

now the people to still run steelies on their cavaliers...thats played out.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:55 PM
A Keno Star

Originally Posted by stl350
black wheels will never be played out, they've been around forever and they look great on the right car.

now the people to still run steelies on their cavaliers...thats played out.
cool thanks for the opinion bro !
Old 03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
noodleman

I've seen in person black LMGT on an SB car, and it looks amazing. Black on Black is a pretty classy combo when done right. I guess it depends on the area too to see if black on black is played out.

Around the toronto area there's ALOT of people running black rims with a polished lip, including tegs, civics, mazda's etc. So in my view it's getting played out. Mind you, there's still some jaw dropping slightings of black on black (on vettes, 6 series, etc).

If you want subtle, nothing is more subtle than Merc Silver.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Black on black is definitely not getting played out. I live near Beverly Hills, and everytime I roll through there, I see a bunch of SL500, etc. with black spoke / polished lip deep dish rims. Not to mention Land Rovers, and whatever else - you name it.

The question is, if people are still BUYING black on black, then is it getting played out? No. It's only getting played out if people are still sporting black on black but no one new is buying it. So, why don't you ask Rick@Status, how many people are still buying black on black... that will let you know.

If you want the more classic look, just go all silver on black, that will never get played out.

Oh yeah, and an all-black rim (powdercoated or spraypainted) looks like crap IMHO. (With a few exceptions, namely the Nismo LMGT4 in gloss black and some others I haven't thought of.) Looks cheap and greatly resembles steelies when rolling. That was never *in* style so it can't get played out. You NEED some contrast with a polished lip or something, to make the wheel look good. I chose SF Challenge because they have a lot of silver stuff everywhere, which gives a good contrast with the black IMO.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
A Keno Star

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Black on black is definitely not getting played out. I live near Beverly Hills, and everytime I roll through there, I see a bunch of SL500, etc. with black spoke / polished lip deep dish rims. Not to mention Land Rovers, and whatever else - you name it.

The question is, if people are still BUYING black on black, then is it getting played out? No. It's only getting played out if people are still sporting black on black but no one new is buying it. So, why don't you ask Rick@Status, how many people are still buying black on black... that will let you know.

If you want the more classic look, just go all silver on black, that will never get played out.

Oh yeah, and an all-black rim (powdercoated or spraypainted) looks like crap IMHO. (With a few exceptions, namely the Nismo LMGT4 in gloss black and some others I haven't thought of.) Looks cheap and greatly resembles steelies when rolling. That was never *in* style so it can't get played out. You NEED some contrast with a polished lip or something, to make the wheel look good. I chose SF Challenge because they have a lot of silver stuff everywhere, which gives a good contrast with the black IMO.

Thats what i was thinking , see how things go and i'll most likely get some new Gt-V's in DB or P/C my Sf's thanks "Wired 24/" !
Old 03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
noodleman

here's another example of all black done right

I'm thinking this would still look badass if the car was black

as shown, all black rims match very well with bright coloured bbks

Last edited by noodleman; 03-09-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by noodleman
here's another example of all black done right

Old 03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well what about a black Z with black Le37's? Personally i think they look clean on a Z and the Work Vs-xx would look amazing on SM/MB Z.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:09 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think black-on-black looks great if the black portion of the wheels have some sort of contrasting feature.

For example: the flakes in Volks' Diamond Black coat.

Or a matte black with an anodized flake.

It has to be a tad different in shade or texture to really set it off.

Just straight gloss black on a black car seems boring since alot of cheap wheels nowadays have that option. Flip open any magazine and you'll see the bargain wheels with the same scheme.

Just my honest opinion.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:19 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the Gold better.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:40 PM
mikedZ33

Stick with the gold. Black on black is played out IMO.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:03 PM
noodleman

man, how could i have forgotten my own thread! These looked good on a photochop for sb..semi gloss/matte black with a red pin stripe. They showed the TE37's and CN28's at TAS2k6..

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/165587-new-te-37-s-at-tas-2006-a.html

Old 03-09-2006, 07:25 PM
<BLACKOUTZ>

Default cant go wrong

i personaly love black on black i just put my black rims on my Z this past weekend and it really sets off the car i have nothing but good about mine since i have put them on
Old 03-09-2006, 07:27 PM
LiLxDooD

black on black is getting old..the new thing..is Chrome YEAH!..not blingy chrome.but RBC and RMC...sweeett
Old 03-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love black on black...that's why I'm gonna be selling my gunmetal GT-C's as soon as my new wheels come in.

On a side note, i've always loved your car. Saved all the pictures you posted in this forum. You're an excellent photographer.

Quick Reply: Do you guys think black wheels on black Z is played out?