Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Sumitomo HTR Z Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 11:44 AM
atlsupdawg#2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sumitomo HTR Z Tires

Just bought a set of rear tires for my stock 17" rims 255/45-17. I plan on going with 245/45-17 in the front as well but needed rear tires ASAP so that's why I picked them up first.

Anyway, I wanted to get some feedback from the more experienced "tire guys" here in terms of what you all think of these tires. I still have the stock 225/50-17 Potenzas in the front and I've noticed a few things while driving:
1) It seems as though the rear of the car has a delayed response when cornering. It almost seems unpredictable because I can't really feel if the back end will break loose or not.

2) The shop that did the mount and balance inflated the tires up to 32 psi and I inflated them up to 40 to match the front. On the freeway the car felt unstable when hitting uneven pavement. I felt like I was constantly correcting for it with the steering wheel and then compensating for MY corrections because of the delayed response as noted above. So in essence it looks like I'm swerving. I dropped the pressure on all 4 tires to 35psi front and 32psi rear thinking this may help, and it did, but not what I had hoped.

3) Accelerating from a dig is cool, no complaints there. I think I even smoked my clutch a little trying to burn out. Now accelerating from say 65 to 100 gets a little nervous cause I feel like I'm correcting the "unstableness" too much.

This is pretty much the best description I can give you guys by not being tire savvy. Could these issues be a result of mismatch tire sizes, brand, side wall stiffness, air pressure, what?? The car should obviously be more balanced when I pick up the front set correct? Or are these tires just plain sh!tty??
Old 03-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sumitomos were good on my Maxima. But their sidewalls, in general, are not as stiff as most performance tires I believe. This could lead to the behavior you're describing.

Most likely 40psi is way too much, and I don't think overinflating is a good way to compensate for soft sidewalls.

Just think about it, if you swap tires and you all of the sudden feel worse handling, what do YOU think it might be?