Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Catching Air

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:43 PM
VJD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catching Air

I've had my '06 Enthusiast model coupe for a couple of weeks and have about 350 miles on it. Yesterday, while entering a decreasing radius off ramp at about 40 MPH (35 MPH speed limit), I hit a raised expansion joint mid corner and the whole car stepped out way more then I expected it to. It felt like an extreme case of bumpsteer. Good thing the road was not wet.
Also, noticed that the front end seems to really bounce around, especially the least loaded wheel, when cornering on rough or bumpy roads. I can feel a significant jerking and pounding sensation in the steering wheel. This week I will be taking off the stock BS 040's mounted on Nismos (by the dealership) and will have Discount Tire mount up some Pirelli P Zero M&S tires (245/40/18 & 275/40/18). I need you Z-Experts to tell me if I need to get some Koni (Yellow) or Tokiko D Spec shocks to help calm down the Z a bit. I want to keep my OE springs. I don't want to lower the Z, but I will if it will help the ride (swap OE linear rate springs for progressives). Recommendations? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

During autocross (on smooth surface) the front inside wheel will often leave the ground. I am not sure if this is a negative factor because the outside tires are supporting the weight. So new tires will not make a difference.

For recommendations as to how to keep the tires contacting the surface, I suggest that you post in autocross.