Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Winter tire advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:50 AM
maxpowers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spendy until the one time they save you from running up against a curb or smashing into someones bumper. IMO this is the best saftey feature you can add to your car (if you live in a cooler climate area). Better than VDC, TCS etc.

Originally Posted by IMAKIWI
I've been looking at tirerack.com and discount tire. Seems the biggest issue is limited choice it the 18" size, Dunlops or a Perilli. Blizzaks only come in the 17's for the most part. A quandry. I did find some take off 18" OEM rims, but without the pressure senors. I really want a set of wheels as well, but this is getting spendy

Scratching head....
Old 09-19-2006, 05:24 AM
IMAKIWI

I give up. The information available is sketchy or from sources I don't know or have any way of confirming. I'm not willing to spend another 400 on sensors on top of the 1100-1400 on rims plus the tires. So, I'm just going with Dunlop M3's on my original rims. Discount Tire seems to have the best prices in this area and they have helped me more that any other shop, so they are getting my business. FYI, my dealer (who will remain nameless) wanted $50 a tire more than them and on top of that $200 for mounting and balancing.

Max, I know what you said and I agree, the tires are a no-brainer, it's the wheels and sensors I was refering to as "spendy".

Last edited by IMAKIWI; 09-19-2006 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:34 AM
Manu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IMAKIWI
Part one:

I want to get a set of winter tires and wheels for our Z. I know there are a number on the market. But my question is more basic that which tire/wheeel. I've read in various places that it is good to go one size negative for winter. That would be going to a 17" wheel and one size less in aspect ratio to keep the tire diameters consistent with the normal or summer tires. This reduces the contact patch so less snow is pushed by the tires. Has anyone done this? Any issues? I know there is a performance penalty, but after all it is winter anyway. So, very agressive driving isn't likely anyway.

Part two: Which Tires? Advice from experience would be helpful.

Thanks
Just for your information, reducing the wheel size will not decrease the contact patch. A 20 inch wheel has the same contact patch than a 16 inch wheel, as long as the tires are the same width and the tire sidewall compensates for the decrease in rim diameter. You want tires that are more narrow for winter...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
mhodzic1

Default anyone running just rear winters?

Is it necessary to get the entire set of winter tires or could I get by on just the rear two if my front stocks are new???
Old 09-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Mathys

To get only rears is just stupid imo. Get a full set.
I recommend Dunlop Wintersport M3. I have it on my Z and a lot friends have it on their cars as well (147 GTA, S2000, M3, RX8)
Attached Thumbnails Winter tire advice please-wintersport-m3-1.jpg   Winter tire advice please-wintersport-m3-2.jpg   Winter tire advice please-wintersport-m3-3.jpg  

Last edited by Mathys; 09-20-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:28 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mhodzic1
Is it necessary to get the entire set of winter tires or could I get by on just the rear two if my front stocks are new???
Unwise. The car will not go where you point it.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
IMAKIWI

yup, you need all 4
Old 09-20-2006, 03:49 PM
CelticPride2

Originally Posted by davidv
Unwise. The car will not go where you point it.
+1,000...If you only get two snows for the rear and keep the stocks on the front, you're going to have excellent handling in the rear and horrendous handling in the front. The Z's stock tires are borderline unsafe in winter conditions. Almost no grip in wet, snowy weather, and highly compromised grip in cold, dry weather...when the mercury drops into the 30s and below, the OEM tires turn into 18" hockey pucks.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:16 AM
IMAKIWI

Yup, everyone I have talked to locally that's tried only getting two has ended up getting the other two. Doesn't matter if it's a front driver or rear driver. You need all four. I ordered Dunlop M3's and finally found a set of stock 06 rims with TP sensors. So I'm happy now.