Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire Guru Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 07:05 PM
twotonetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Guru Help Please

I recently got a big bolt in the sidewall of my tire (I have Track Model Wheels FYI) and they were getting bald anyways so I stopped by my local Tire Kingdom. Someone special ordered two Toyo T1-R 275/35 R18s but never picked them up.

They gave me a great deal, $400 for the two installed. I assumed this would make the stance higher in back, lower in the front but stupidly didn't do the math accordingly. Now the tires are 5" in diameter smaller in the rear = exactly what I wasn't going for. They stick better than any non slick I've driven but at 90mph the car feels kind of floaty and bouncy. My math translates to the transfer of moreweight over the rear wheels from the change in angel which could account for a recent kill of a new Mustang GT convertible and an STI from 60-90mph on I-95 but the look and handling is not what I wanted .

Finally the question. I need two new T1-Rs for the front and want a lower profile but still enough width to not throw off the balance. Also with the smaller diameter wheels I am thinking about getting some new springs to drop it a tad.

Any advice on tire size/kind of springs/spacers would be much appreciated.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:31 PM
twotonetrack

BTW, this is a daily driver car that enjoys track days as well as the strip at Moroso Motorsports. I ran a 13.8 stock with the crappy stock tires so I know how to drive and am looking for a car to handle on the streets and track.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:33 AM
twotonetrack

Well after using the 1010 tire calculator and the fact that I have the track wheels (and the lack of 2XXR30s in the T1R,) It looks like I will be getting: 255/35 R18s in front. This will keep me under the 3% benchmark.

What size spacers and springs (agressive and low, not slammed) should I get to match the combo:

275/35 R18s out back
255/35 R18s in front (will 255s rub on U turns?)

and advice on where to get the springs/spacers would be great.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:39 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks to me like you are doing a hell of a job answering your own questions.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:46 PM
twotonetrack

Originally Posted by davidv
Looks to me like you are doing a hell of a job answering your own questions.
Thanks so much for the help? I am hoping someone could let me know if the decisions I am planning on making were good/bad as in throwing off the ECU and such.

Does anyone ELSE think I am going in the right/wrong direction for my listed goals?

Q: since I went with 35 profiles, will the Eibach Pro Kit give me the best drop without being slammed?

Last edited by twotonetrack; 11-06-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:41 PM
twotonetrack

Update:

I went back to Tirekingdom and spoke with the manager to explain that I was lead in the wrong decision by buying the previous tire and their clerk did not do the math to see that my front tires are now bigger than the front and it is way past the 3% mark now. I watched him go yell at the guy, who he sent in to apalogize for his mistake, and then called his distributor to get the tires which he sold me "at cost" and after ordering them he had his invoice faxed right away and was telling the truth. He continued to apalogize and offered to install them for free and not charge for delivery/disposal/etc. and that on his word he will not make a penny off of it.

I then complained about the wheel gap I wasn't aware I would have which he agreed after seeing the car. I thought I was pushing it by asking if I brought in new springs to take it down an inch to eliminate the problem I wasn't told I was going to have, if they could install them for me. He said bring them in when we get the tires and if their head installer feels he could put them on confidently, he would do so. I pushed it even further asking about spacers and advised me to have the tires installed first and then they would accurately measure it for me without guessing and then I would order them (ichiba) and bring it in once they come in and they would put them on and align the car (I opted for the three year unlimited alignment plan.) This should give time for the spring to settle a little justifying the alignment.

Now that is customer service: admit that you made a mistake and do not profit from doing so (I hope some vendors are reading this.)

I went ahead and ordered the Eibach pro-kit springs and I should receive them shortly.

I will also be ordering Cusco sways which I will install myself.

It is officially figured out and mostly ordered (thanks for the help gurus)

Toyo T1R 275/35R18 out back
Toyo T1R 255/35R18 up front
Eibach Pro Kit
Cusco front and rear sway bars
Ichiba spacers

I can't wait to see how my car drives.