Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Is it useable? (tire Q)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 AM
teacher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it useable? (tire Q)

I`d appreciate some informed commentary on this one. If you have ``tire knowledge`` or ``been mountin` tires since I was a ...`` then ..perfect!

I bought a set of lightly used (still 9-10/32`s) Yokohama es 100`s : 235/40/18 for my fronts. Prior to my purchase of them, one of them received the damage pictured below from the mounting/dismounting machine.

Viewed from the outside , the damage is a tiny 1/6`` `nub` out of the tire`s inside lip. From the inside the damage is in the form of a roughly 3`` cut on the inner surface of the tire about 1/4`` from the lip/ `doughnut hole` middle. My pics are pretty close up, so I want to make things clear with analogies we all know and love...

The cut follows the perimeter of the inside circle/hole, and is never more than 1/4`` from it. It is roughly 1/6`` deep at the start and lessens in depth as it goes. The cut is only in the ``carcass`` - no steel bands are visible.

Before I`m inundated with the ``You got scccrrrrreeewed`` comments, let me state that I payed $0 for this tire, which may very well be its value!

Q: I don`t know exactly how the tire interacts/mounts on the wheel, so I`m wondering if this is cosmetic damage, or a part of the tire that will be under some stress.

Q: Is this cut only an issue on mounting, or would you consider it a liability/dumper even if the tire holds air and behaves normally? I`m looking at about $5-10 to have it mounted, so I`m open to ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Is it useable? (tire Q)-tire1.jpg   Is it useable? (tire Q)-tire2.jpg   Is it useable? (tire Q)-tire3.jpg  
Old 01-28-2007, 08:08 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

a. Used tires are a risk. Sometimes you can see damage. Sometimes you cannot.

b. Once the tire is mounted, and you drive the car, the damage will get worse.

c. I would not trust that tire at 80 MPH.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:26 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer to your question is no, that tire is trash. Just because the bead will sit doesn't mean it's going to hold over time. This is not a cosmetic issue. It is a safety issue. I've worked with tires before and I can tell you that tire will never go on my car.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:44 PM
teacher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for confirming my impression!

Thanks guys!
I thought it was a no-go, but I wanted to be sure,
I`m more familiar with tread repairs and sidewall issues. Without any experience mounting a tire I needed some help.
This tire will be going on my pimped lawn mower.

Gracias!