Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tires for the rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:12 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I'm not overly fussed on the Escta's. Auckland in New Zealand where I am is generally rains alot in Winter, and generally fairly heavily, road surfaces aren't that good in some areas, and I've not had any problems with any set of GS-D3's giving out under the any of the cars I've had them on. That being said they are supposed to be a Summer tyre.

I talked a friend in the last few weeks, into waiting another couple of weeks to get decent tyres, and he's absolutely wrapped with the increased handling.

Please do us all a favour and don't scrimpt on tyres, it's the only thing that will save you. We'd rather not see another statistic.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:53 PM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haev kuhmo ASX. Otherthan being kinda wavy on the initial 2k miles (cuz they have a lot of thread) they're are vvery resistant to hydroplaning. I actually leave a clean clearing when i drive because the tires push the water away. These are cheap and they're symetrical so u can rotate easily.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 PM
FirstZ
Banned

Originally Posted by plumpzz
I haev kuhmo ASX. Otherthan being kinda wavy on the initial 2k miles (cuz they have a lot of thread) they're are vvery resistant to hydroplaning. I actually leave a clean clearing when i drive because the tires push the water away. These are cheap and they're symetrical so u can rotate easily.

I found the ASX very soft..... but decent price in a 17"
Old 03-03-2007, 07:03 PM
tware

bfg kdw. alittle loud. the tread might look alittle wild, and maybe its not for wet, maybe more for marketing, but dayyyum, they work great wet. They slice thru some deep puddles.

I got them when they first started coming out, over a year ago, maybe 15K on them now. They havent hardened up like my OEMs. they are still gripping great in wet and still evacuating water quite well and I'm pretty close to the wear indicators now. They have worn very evenly for me.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:27 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the W in KDW is for Wet.

There are quite a few good summer tires that work great in the rain, there just isn't a classification for rain like there is for mud and snow or all season. Just because it rains a lot, does not mean you need an all season tire. That is not to say that all summer tires will work well in the rain though.

Chris
Old 03-03-2007, 10:42 PM
tware

What I meant to say is that perhaps the tread design was more for marketing than water, the non-NT KDW doesnt look anything like that. Just saying that trend design does as well as you'd think it would just by looking at it, huge channels to push out water.