Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

PLEASE READ: 350Z, track days, rear pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 09:22 AM
FlyingToaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DZeckhausen
...It this time, I'm not aware of any ducting kits for the 350Z. The ideal kit would consist of a replacement backing plate that used a quick disconnect to attach a high-temp hose to duct air directly to the center of the rotor from an opening under the front bumper. You don't want to simply direct air to the inside face of the rotor, since this will result in differential cooling and added stress to the rotor as it tries to take on a cone shape. The quick disconnect would allow you to remove the hose for street driving, since it would limit the range of steering. On atrack, this is not a problem at all, but on the street it makes parallel parking a pain!
That's what I thought as well. The quick disconnect mechanism and a modified backing plate are my issues, but I am sure we can actually manufacturer something home made for that.

btw - I finally got to your web site and remember it now as I was looking for some brake and suspension parts for my 330Ci.

Thanks for the contributions to the thread Dave.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:49 PM
commasense

Just to add to the dataset, when I changed my OEM pads for Ferodo DS 2500s at 5,500 miles, the stock pads were quite evenly worn, front and back, with about 7 or 8 mm left. At that point I had run five track days, mostly with VDC off. However, it can be quite helpful in the rain.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:47 PM
FlyingToaster

How do you like the Ferodos? I heard very good things from couple of people, especially with track performance and brake dust.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:38 AM
commasense

So far, so good, but I haven't had a chance to put them to really hard use. The only track day I've had since installing them was wet and cold. And it looks like my next track day, this Friday, will also be wet, dammit.

The DS-2500s are supposed to be good street-track combo pads, and on the street they're fine: no excessive noise and dust about the same or slightly better than the stock pads. I didn't want to a) risk wearing down the rotors, as the more agressive pads (DS-3000 or Hawk Blues) are supposed to do, or 2) switch pads before and after every track event (yeah, I'm lazy).

I'll report back when I have more info.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:10 AM
FlyingToaster

LOL, sounds good.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:21 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for a great thread.

I just recently upgraded my pads, lines and fluid for track events and wish I would have read this thread earlier.

I stuck with the factory setup but added motul 600, Carbotech Panther+ f/r, s/s lines and a DIY air duct for the fronts. My latest track event was a time trial so I didn't get a *lot* of repetitive use, but the morning practice session was probably 10-12 laps and I experienced no fade. Which was a very different experience from my last event where I had to downshift to make the car slow down because the brakes faded so badly.

Also, I brought along an infrared non-contact thermometer and my parked front rotor temps never exceeded 800 degrees. Rears came in around 750. Both front and rear temps were very close to the same each time I tested them. Those temps were with a shortened cool down lap, with no high speed straight.

Now my plan is to work on enlarging the duct system and finding a way to get air to the rears. But so far I am pretty happy with the factory brakes. Sure they don't look as good as a BBK, but they work, for now.

Last edited by zillinois; 07-04-2004 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:59 PM
4myZ350

this bump is to get this tread up w/ the other brake tread about BBK's