Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

NISMO S-tune ... impressions.. part 2 & pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 01:29 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO S-tune ... impressions.. part 2 & pic

S-tune …. Round 2: Evaluation

On Sunday, May 04, 2003, I went for the first major test of the S-tune coupled with my TE37’s and S03 PP’s. The run was 235 miles over 5 hours on expressways and 2-lane country roads with surfaces both smooth and bumpy / uneven -- sweepers, hairpins, and fast switchback turns.

Summary: Absolutely fantastic !!

Expressways…
Included straights and fast speed 3 lane runs, bridges with joints, fast up-down bumps, really tight, high speed twisty curves (like a fairly deserted Taconic State Pkwy in NY or Ventura Frwy in LA with more hills and curves) – including speed trips. The S-tune handled everything in stride. Spot on handling and dampening with any bumps. The S-tune is made for both expressway and secondary road handling. It is compliant, tight with absolute precision handling. Some suspensions might be tighter and harder for certain driving .. but washboardy over certain road conditions. The S-tune seems to handle everything well. On my previous Z32TT, I used to have an Ohlins adjustable SUS with kg/mm springs… and set on the upper reaches of the hardest settings. Very good, but I like the S-tune better for its overall handling.

The back roads…

Smile, smile, smile…. Excellent ! Similar to what I posted before..it still holds true after this run:

1. The dreaded “porpoising” is really gone. Of course, there are certain sections of any highway that induce the up-down effect…but with the S-tune, the dampening controls it as opposed to the absolute helium-like, uncontrollable bounce of the stock suspension..
2. The overall ride is a bit stiffer… but very close to stock. Very nice…!!
3. The understeer is agone.
4. Like Steve (aka: raceboy)… I always felt that when I turned the steering wheel, the Z responded on a half-second delay. With the new S-tune setup, the turn in is quick-but-smooth and has given the Z the true sports car agility it should have had from the beginning. There are no surprises when running a tight and twisty road – the steering, turn in, power on-off, and overall handling are very fast, crisp, and instinctive.
5. On the tight-and-twisties, with the S-tune and better wheels/tires… there was confidence supreme… and excellent feedback.
6. Body roll is almost non-existent…very flat cornering.
7. With the nimble steering and handling comes a feeling of lightness to the Z that was non-existent with the stock setup.

Summary… after this 5 hour run and returning home… I had nothing but smiles… since it was an unbelievable fun time. As all_bark has in his tag line… “I love this freakin’ car” -- but after today, I love it even more.

The following picture was the starting position at that same track location where I did my previous run about 2 months ago before my S-tune and wheel/tire change:……..
Attached Thumbnails NISMO S-tune ... impressions.. part 2 & pic-the-run-1-mine.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 01:31 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default some of the secondary roads

twist..
Attached Thumbnails NISMO S-tune ... impressions.. part 2 & pic-the-run-2-tight-corner.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 01:33 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default and..

straight accelerate.. and turn...
Attached Thumbnails NISMO S-tune ... impressions.. part 2 & pic-the-run-3-straight-and-curve.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 01:35 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default rest stop 1

... hilly rice fields being planted....
Attached Thumbnails NISMO S-tune ... impressions.. part 2 & pic-the-run-4-rest-stop-rice-field.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 01:38 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default old volcano stone area....

beautiful country area....
Attached Thumbnails NISMO S-tune ... impressions.. part 2 & pic-the-run-5-volcano-stone-field.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 09:37 AM
all_bark

Yes, thanks for the review.

Couple of questions.

Being that the suspension is "slightly stiffer" than stock your still saying that on long drives it is still not as hard on the body as the stock suspension? I plan on doing some cross country driving in the Z and want the nicest, most aggressive, yet smooth, easy on the body suspension out there! (yeah, I want everything!)

Those roads in the pictures look very smooth. You did test it on rough roads too, yes?!?!

And this is not a question but more of a statement with a question mark.

The porposing and understeer is REALLY GONE?!?!?! yeah!

I already know the answers to questions 2 + 3 but I figure I'd post them anyway. I appreciate your review and look forward to getting the S Tune as soon as it arrives in the states. I am going to start complaining more to my dealer so that when it gets here they are going to have to give me a good deal just to get me off their backs!

Thanks again, WOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 11:53 AM
ezee

You said in your previous post that the S-tune drops the car 20mm (.8 inch). Did you have your wheels realigned? If so, were there any problems with the realignment? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:48 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally posted by all_bark
Yes, thanks for the review.

Couple of questions.

Being that the suspension is "slightly stiffer" than stock your still saying that on long drives it is still not as hard on the body as the stock suspension? I plan on doing some cross country driving in the Z and want the nicest, most aggressive, yet smooth, easy on the body suspension out there! (yeah, I want everything!)

Those roads in the pictures look very smooth. You did test it on rough roads too, yes?!?!

And this is not a question but more of a statement with a question mark.

The porposing and understeer is REALLY GONE?!?!?! yeah!

I already know the answers to questions 2 + 3 but I figure I'd post them anyway. I appreciate your review and look forward to getting the S Tune as soon as it arrives in the states. I am going to start complaining more to my dealer so that when it gets here they are going to have to give me a good deal just to get me off their backs!

Thanks again, WOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!

all_bark...

1/ for your cross-country driving... the S-tune will delight you.

2/ yes, rough roads were tested as well... really uneven pavement together with severe bumps...

3/ and yes, the dreaded porpoising is gone and dampened ... and the understeer is history.

enjoy...
Old 05-05-2003, 04:50 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

ezee.. yes, I had the alignment done.. and no problems...
Old 05-05-2003, 08:19 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Are your pics posted with the NISMO suspension on it? I am just want to see how much different it looks with the drop. Can you post a pick with it on without it on from before. I would love to compare the differece in height.

Thanks for the review, it is really helpful. How much did they change the camber BTW? Jeff
Old 05-05-2003, 08:55 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by fairladyZ in Japan
all_bark...

1/ for your cross-country driving... the S-tune will delight you.

2/ yes, rough roads were tested as well... really uneven pavement together with severe bumps...

3/ and yes, the dreaded porpoising is gone and dampened ... and the understeer is history.

enjoy...
SWEET! Thanks again. Cant wait till it shows up in the states!

So no problems with the wheel alignments either! Also a great question (I forgot to ask) and glad to here there are no problems with that either.

I am a buyer! (here that nissan reps?)
Old 05-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

maybe Courtesy Nissan Parts can give us a group buy discount? I can't wait to have them on my car!
Old 05-06-2003, 09:51 AM
WashUJon

Terrific review! That's very encouraging news! I'm definitely a buyer when it gets here under NISMO. I just hope they warrant the setup and don't give anyone grief for the feathering problem. Have you had any feathering after the S-tune installation, or is it too soon to tell? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:48 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

zland... sorry -- but I don't have those pictures... the S-tune went on first .. then the wheels/tires. The pictures I posted in this thread have the S-tune on.

WashUJon.... thanks ! Regarding the feathering... still to early to tell. I have put on around 500 miles since the install.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:14 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Bill,

Your pictures and reviews are very encouraging, but at the same time make me very sad. Two months after I ordered my S-Tune kit and waited patiently for it to come across the ocean, I now find myself in a position where my vendor doesn't know where the f**k it is.

Enough of my crying like a little girl. Congrats and please keep sharing the joy!
Old 05-07-2003, 06:44 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

droid... unbelievable bad luck. How in the hells bells can they not find a shipment ?

Waiting for your post and pictures when you do get it located, installed, and your comments.

Wish you luck... until then...I would be -- squEEEackest wheel on the planet trying to find out what happened.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:18 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by droidekaus
Bill,

Your pictures and reviews are very encouraging, but at the same time make me very sad. Two months after I ordered my S-Tune kit and waited patiently for it to come across the ocean, I now find myself in a position where my vendor doesn't know where the f**k it is.

Enough of my crying like a little girl. Congrats and please keep sharing the joy!
Droid,

If they don't find the shipment soon you may has well have waited for the US NISMO release....... Hope they track it down soon.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:51 AM
jesperanza

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting the review and pics. I really like your Z! Those Volks are SWEET! BTW how is your radar mounted?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Slexis200

why does his car look so dam good? woooow man.... nice
Old 05-07-2003, 07:20 PM
deviousZ
Banned

Why are there side markers on the version in Japan?

Quick Reply: NISMO S-tune ... impressions.. part 2 & pic