Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
  #61  
Zrolimit
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Zrolimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Okay so I have two questions:

Is the clearcoat applied to the barrel the same as the clearcoat applied to paint?

-if so-

Could scratches or curb rash be removed from a barrel at a repair shop and then re-clearcoated so an individual would not have to constantly polish them?
Zrolimit is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
  #62  
jumpin800agl
8 to 11
iTrader: (7)
 
jumpin800agl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 3,162
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zrolimit
Okay so I have two questions:

Is the clearcoat applied to the barrel the same as the clearcoat applied to paint?

-if so-

Could scratches or curb rash be removed from a barrel at a repair shop and then re-clearcoated so an individual would not have to constantly polish them?
the clear coat on the barrel is an ANODIZED clear coat which is different than the clearcoat on your paint. I found this out the hard way if you read further down the thread. This info came direct from Mackin industries. According to Mackin any repairs like that to the wheel will void the warranty also. I just keep polishing mine. . . which sucks but hey thye look good.
jumpin800agl is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 04:43 PM
  #63  
Zrolimit
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Zrolimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
the clear coat on the barrel is an ANODIZED clear coat which is different than the clearcoat on your paint. I found this out the hard way if you read further down the thread. This info came direct from Mackin industries. According to Mackin any repairs like that to the wheel will void the warranty also. I just keep polishing mine. . . which sucks but hey thye look good.
There was a warranty??? Oh well I've had my GT-Vs on my car for a little over 2 years now and there are some minor scratches that I wanted taken care of. The front left has some very minor curb rash that I thought might be fixable by a wheel repair shop. Pic below:

Name:  Wheel.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  54.8 KB
Zrolimit is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:05 PM
  #64  
mw9
Registered User
iTrader: (51)
 
mw9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 2,427
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

+1
mw9 is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
  #65  
Zrolimit
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Zrolimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

More pictures of the front left. Other pictures are of some damage done by a Nissan Dealership in Las Vegas during an oil change (bastards wouldn't own up to it ). Front left has some minor scratches as well that I can't seem to get rid of (and I'm scared to try).
Attached Thumbnails How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-wheel2.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-wheel3.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-wheel4.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-wheel5.jpg  
Zrolimit is offline  
Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
  #66  
m3inaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hell, AZ
Posts: 159
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

So i know this might have been answered already..but i have the 2003 performance with the semi-upgraded 18in wheels and I have noticed that theres some of that abrasive and hazyness on the front wheels..Is there anyway to reserve it now??
m3inaz is offline  
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 PM
  #67  
zosomoso
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: gfalls/blacksburg, VA
Posts: 206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

i had a major leak in my garage a week ago and the dripage left a whitish-brown residue along my front quarter panel and a good amount splashed onto one of my wheels. i claybar'd the car with zaino z-18 and the residue came off relatively easily, however, i still cant figure out how to clean my wheel. Would it be safe to clay the lip of my volks?
zosomoso is offline  
Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 AM
  #68  
Velocity350Z
Registered User
 
Velocity350Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N. California
Posts: 497
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zrolimit
There was a warranty??? Oh well I've had my GT-Vs on my car for a little over 2 years now and there are some minor scratches that I wanted taken care of. The front left has some very minor curb rash that I thought might be fixable by a wheel repair shop. Pic below:

I am also interested to know the price on fixing the minor curb rash. One rim shop told me that it will cost more than the wheel itself to fix a minor curb rash, so its better to replace the whole wheel. I am hoping that he is incorrect!!
Velocity350Z is offline  
Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM
  #69  
zosomoso
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: gfalls/blacksburg, VA
Posts: 206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Velocity350Z
I am also interested to know the price on fixing the minor curb rash. One rim shop told me that it will cost more than the wheel itself to fix a minor curb rash, so its better to replace the whole wheel. I am hoping that he is incorrect!!
wow! thats ridiculous, i cant believe someone would tell you that and make sure you never go back to that shop. it should only cost you about anywhere between $100 and $170. all they do is sand it down, polish, and reapply clear coat. in fact its something that you can do yourself, but then again a shop will probably do a lot better of a job.
zosomoso is offline  
Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
  #70  
redlude97
Registered User
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 2,755
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zosomoso
wow! thats ridiculous, i cant believe someone would tell you that and make sure you never go back to that shop. it should only cost you about anywhere between $100 and $170. all they do is sand it down, polish, and reapply clear coat. in fact its something that you can do yourself, but then again a shop will probably do a lot better of a job.
You cannot reapply a clearcoat to a polished wheel, that is the whole problem. To get them back to their original condition requires the wheel to be taken apart and anodized, which is very expensive and hard to get done correctly
redlude97 is offline  
Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM
  #71  
zosomoso
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: gfalls/blacksburg, VA
Posts: 206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by redlude97
You cannot reapply a clearcoat to a polished wheel, that is the whole problem. To get them back to their original condition requires the wheel to be taken apart and anodized, which is very expensive and hard to get done correctly
O... well that sucks
zosomoso is offline  
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 PM
  #72  
tnk210
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
tnk210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 496
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zrolimit
More pictures of the front left. Other pictures are of some damage done by a Nissan Dealership in Las Vegas during an oil change (bastards wouldn't own up to it ). Front left has some minor scratches as well that I can't seem to get rid of (and I'm scared to try).
I had curbed one of my GT-V's about a year ago. I took it too a local shop and they polished it right out, no damaged to the clear coat at all.
tnk210 is offline  
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 PM
  #73  
redlude97
Registered User
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 2,755
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tnk210
I had curbed one of my GT-V's about a year ago. I took it too a local shop and they polished it right out, no damaged to the clear coat at all.
Which means they stripped the clearcoat to fix it.
redlude97 is offline  
Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 PM
  #74  
tnk210
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
tnk210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 496
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by redlude97
Which means they stripped the clearcoat to fix it.
Most likely, but my point was I can't tell a difference.
tnk210 is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 01:24 PM
  #75  
nate dog
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
nate dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: downtown
Posts: 251
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

would it be ok to clean
my gt-f with
windex?
nate dog is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
  #76  
jumpin800agl
8 to 11
iTrader: (7)
 
jumpin800agl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 3,162
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nate dog
would it be ok to clean
my gt-f with
windex?
i would not chance that. Stick strictly to soap and water if I were you.
jumpin800agl is offline  
Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 PM
  #77  
jubes
Registered User
iTrader: (22)
 
jubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 2,195
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Does this also go for the OEM rays Track wheels from the track edition Z for all years?
jubes is offline  
Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
  #78  
mikez97
Registered User
iTrader: (12)
 
mikez97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Palm City
Posts: 1,164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

great write up !
mikez97 is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 AM
  #79  
mzdfc3s
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
mzdfc3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gettysburg
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

what about water spots? i have tried just about everything above to try and get these off and i just cant touch them with anything?????
mzdfc3s is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 04:12 AM
  #80  
mw9
Registered User
iTrader: (51)
 
mw9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 2,427
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zridder19
who would take their car to a car wash??
In the winter I take mine to the touchless once a week, to get all the crap off of it.
mw9 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: