MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-60/)
-   -   Why do so many people have Toyo TR1s? (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/294421-why-do-so-many-people-have-toyo-tr1s.html)

engiNERD350Z 08-15-2007 05:34 PM

Why do so many people have Toyo TR1s?

This has been bugging me for the longest time. Every new wheel thread I see, the owner has Toyo TR1s on them. Are they that great or are they cheaper or do they last longer? I priced them and they didn't seem that much cheaper than any other major brands. Right now I have Goodyear Eagle F1's which I love, but they're wearing out. Thanks.

eltness350 08-15-2007 05:37 PM

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...75&ar=35&rd=19
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...45&ar=35&rd=19
it says u have 19inch rims...here are bunch of great tires also...i have had the toyos and they are just ok in my book...i personally like nittos and bf's

Scarab440 08-15-2007 05:42 PM

they are a solid,predictable,inexpensive performance tire. I run the T1Rs and would buy them again but for only exclusive street use.

i really want to try the falken Azenis RT-615's

Nexx 08-15-2007 05:45 PM

because its mad JDM? personally, i wouldnt touch them because their sidewalls are like butta. decent prices might be one of the main reasons.

Volk350Z 08-15-2007 05:58 PM

Great Price for what you are getting.. Tires is great for rain and dry...

CAVZ33 08-15-2007 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by eltness350
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...75&ar=35&rd=19
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...45&ar=35&rd=19
it says u have 19inch rims...here are bunch of great tires also...i have had the toyos and they are just ok in my book...i personally like nittos and bf's

Nitto's are made by Toyo same material just different tread pattern. TOYO FTW..................

Ztalker 08-15-2007 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by CAVZ33
Nitto's are made by Toyo same material just different tread pattern. TOYO FTW..................

i thought nitto's got slightly stiffer sidewalls than Toyo. i could be wrong. i've had both before.

Sensi09 08-15-2007 06:17 PM

They're cheap and get packaged with many aftermarket wheels such as volks.

engiNERD350Z 08-15-2007 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sensi09

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!!

wayneside 08-15-2007 06:46 PM

toyos are good tires...

are you looking for a set?

CAVZ33 08-15-2007 06:52 PM

They are very good tire and the reason they get packaged with a lot of aftermarket wheels is the dealers make more money of them, they are rated 1 in profit making. Back in the day it was Falken getting the package deals but they found out it was a POS to many complaints.

bbs350z 08-15-2007 07:04 PM

i stick to 3 inch wide rims, and cooper tires. 105's brah! great for the snow.

guitman32 08-15-2007 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Scarab440
they are a solid,predictable,inexpensive performance tire. I run the T1Rs and would buy them again but for only exclusive street use.

i really want to try the falken Azenis RT-615's

Other than the treadwear on the RT-615 (200 - they dont last very long), they are amazing tires. Given 'em a whirl, and you wont even think about the T1Rs ever again.

To the OP, I think it is a combination of price, decent performance, and aggressive tread pattern that contribute to their popularity. IMO, I personally don't like the tread pattern at all.

JDMFairladyZ33 08-15-2007 07:25 PM

+1 Many vendors like to push these.

bb1314 08-15-2007 07:26 PM

CHEAP, not bad quality and sexy treads!

SirSpeedyZ 08-15-2007 07:53 PM

I hear they are good, I had the goodyear eagle F1, but got T1R because I have seen test results saying they are nearly as good and a little cheaper

Tekwon-V 08-15-2007 08:44 PM

they are great street tires. i love mine. really nice grip even with my turbo and on a high-speed track like willow springs AND!!!! they are not too expensive.

andyisphat2004 08-15-2007 08:49 PM

+1. cheap and they stick to the grounde like a mofo. I have a tough time spinning in second and i am FI.

Volk350Z 08-15-2007 11:20 PM

Toyo was one of the only few brand that made 275/35/19 & 285/35/19 when the Z market first started... now every brand make that size to jump on the band wagon lol....

JoeyFyed 08-16-2007 12:46 AM

I <3 my RT 615s

chriskabobbers 08-16-2007 12:55 AM

i run toyo t1rs in the rear and BFG g-force's in the front

SpeedRcr 08-16-2007 05:58 AM

because my toyos are quieter than the 2 sets of kdw's nt's i ran on my car...they hook up just as well

yoichi 08-16-2007 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nexx
because its mad JDM? personally, i wouldnt touch them because their sidewalls are like butta. decent prices might be one of the main reasons.

In Japan, Bridgestones and Yokahama Advans are the most popular. Don't hear too much of toyo's.

IMO Bridgestone's make the best tires. I love my re050's. Very quiet and they grip well but damn, 400 for a rear tire...

The Brickyard Rat 08-16-2007 08:08 AM

After much looking I concluded the F1s were the best tires out there.......but they did not come in OEM sizes. So, I bought T 1Rs which I've been happy with.

If your happy with your F1s, I'd stick with them.

Alberto 08-16-2007 09:16 AM

They are "decent" Ive had 6 diff tires on my Z, and driven these tires HARD @ Tail of the dragon, I didnt care for the sidewall roll at anything under near full max inflation, or the fact that they howl waayyyy before the car reaches its limits. On my scale, they are not near the top. Most wheel shops like to sell the wheels/tires as combos and they sell these tires. Id never buy a set for my Z...

BRONZEE 08-16-2007 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by engiNERD350Z
Right now I have Goodyear Eagle F1's which I love, but they're wearing out. Thanks.

Hmm, if you love the F1's why are you thinking of changing brand?? Personally I'm an F1 fan and will stay that way as long as I can get my hands on the German manufactured ones. I've had 4 sets thus far on my own cars. Seem to perform well on every other car I've driven with them on.

rkd350z 08-16-2007 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Alberto
They are "decent" Ive had 6 diff tires on my Z, and driven these tires HARD @ Tail of the dragon, I didnt care for the sidewall roll at anything under near full max inflation, or the fact that they howl waayyyy before the car reaches its limits. On my scale, they are not near the top. Most wheel shops like to sell the wheels/tires as combos and they sell these tires. Id never buy a set for my Z...

+1
I realize I dont like the soft side walls even It will make my ride softer and quiter.
I think my Kumho MXs have soft side wall but not compare to T1Rs because so many people mentioned it before.
Also, after reading few replies on here, they seem to be cheap since venders will profit the most from selling it...
I like my MX!! :rolleyes:

Chebosto 08-16-2007 10:17 AM

how come no one's put down that they're lighter than other brands in the same size?

thats another reason why i went with Toyos..

MyV6IsFast3r 08-16-2007 11:58 AM

Falken 425's are better IMO.... Almost the same, just a little stickier IMO. And in my size, the Falkens are cheaper too.

97supratt 08-16-2007 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chebosto
how come no one's put down that they're lighter than other brands in the same size?

thats another reason why i went with Toyos..

+1

You also have those 888's you lucky son of a gun you!!! :icon11:

davidv 08-16-2007 01:21 PM

Over the past years, the Toyo Proxes T1-S finished in the top 5 of several independent tire tests. The TR-1 is similar to the T1-S.

BabyZiLLa 08-16-2007 07:02 PM

I have no real complaints with them other than the sidewall.. Makes for some ugly hard cornering.

engiNERD350Z 08-16-2007 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BRONZEE
Hmm, if you love the F1's why are you thinking of changing brand?? Personally I'm an F1 fan and will stay that way as long as I can get my hands on the German manufactured ones. I've had 4 sets thus far on my own cars. Seem to perform well on every other car I've driven with them on.

I really love the F1's and they're so predictable at the limits. The main reason I would steer away this next time is the cost. My sizes are a little unorthodox (235/255) and they're almost the same as stock diameters but even though they were cheaper than the popular 225/245 combination, they still cost $940.

If I stay in the same price range, I am thinking of going with BF KDWs next to try them out. Just wanted to see peoples thoughts on the TR1s.

VENOMSZ 08-16-2007 09:18 PM

T1R's are all that they say they are.
GREAT in the rain, GREAT on the street.

usmanasif 08-17-2007 07:23 AM

Not sure about you, but I don't consider a $300 tire to be cheap by any means.

T1Rs (note: no such tire as a TR-1) are popular because they work extremely well in all conditions. I can drive on the highway in pouring rain at 80mph and not be too worried; that alone is worth what I consider fairly high price.

Spike100 08-17-2007 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
After much looking I concluded the F1s were the best tires out there.......but they did not come in OEM sizes. So, I bought T 1Rs which I've been happy with.

If your happy with your F1s, I'd stick with them.

Good point. When it was time to replace my tires, I faced the same dilemma. I have a 2003 Performance model (and thus, VDC) so it was important to match overall diameter to maintain correct VDC function with my 18/8" stock wheels. The only choice I had with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 was 245/40-18 front and 245/45-18 rear (staggered width was not an option since there was no 225/45-18 size in this tire line).

I decided to go with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, and I have been very pleased with this tire and the setup (size). It grips very well on dry and wet roadways, has soft sidewalls that provide a more comfortable ride, while delivering great handling. From what I've read here (messages posted by forum members), the Toyo TR1s deliver the same (softer sidewall, more comfort, great rain grip, etc.) for less $$. Considering how fast performance tires wear, it might be better to buy a less costly tire and replace it more frequently than trying to "stretch the life" a more expensive tire.

--Spike

photo2u 08-17-2007 08:13 PM

I love the tire. I got a nice set from a friend. If he uses it good enough for me. I used the f1 excellent tire also.

I had only 3.6k miles on my o6. So far, I had 3 different tire/wheel set.

oem- good for everyday use.
yoko - better but i was not happy with the look
toyo- cool happy and will buy them again.

I think that you must first evaluate the tires on your personal car before buying them. I know that in tires it does not work this way. But to me, if you trust your seller with the info he is given you, that is the most important fact with the tire you buy.

George from Pasadena,

wheatz 08-17-2007 10:12 PM

+1... great all around tires. I've been running my 255/285 setup for almost 2 years now with great traction.

dbpoet 08-18-2007 09:59 PM

I've been very happy with my BF KDW's. I've never ran Toyo's but my friend who has claims they wear really fast.

bloodwings19 08-19-2007 02:47 PM

Mine came with Volk, so no choice. I have to say they are great tires considering that I have them on for over 2 years and 6 months. They look like they will last me another 1 year, or two- knock on wood. I drive, but not as an everyday car. I have to say Toyo is good in my book, I'll probaly go with them again.

ohSIXz 08-20-2007 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bloodwings19
Mine came with Volk, so no choice. I have to say they are great tires considering that I have them on for over 2 years and 6 months. They look like they will last me another 1 year, or two- knock on wood. I drive, but not as an everyday car. I have to say Toyo is good in my book, I'll probaly go with them again.

2 and half years on the same set of tires?!?!?! i cant go a year without getting new tires.

Spike100 08-20-2007 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ohSIXz
2 and half years on the same set of tires?!?!?! i cant go a year without getting new tires.

:confused: Isn't it the number of miles and not the length of time that determines tire wear statistics? If I parked the car for a year, there would be no wear.

--Spike

AlvinHuyN 08-25-2007 09:41 PM

I have had all three of the tires below:

Goodyear Eagle F1 - GS-D3:
Pros - great tires, sexy pattern, low noise, GREAT in the rain feels so smooth and grippy even in down pour conditions!
Cons: Too expensive

BFGoodrich KDW II:
Pros: Crazy dry traction! Ass kicking thread pattern!
Cons - Not so great in the rain, also kind of unpredictable in general, hard to feel what you can do with them - their sidewalls are also huge. They also make a weird rumble/humming noise at around 25-30mph and this is pretty common with these.

Toyo Proxes T1Rs: Favorite tire of all time for street use!
Pros: They look great, priced well and feels great in wet and dry and are PREDICTABLE!
Cons: None, I love them!

I love the T1Rs (going back to them with my new wheels) because I feel that I can trust them. One of the NW meet I drove with 17 g/z and we took curves on the freeway at 90 to 120mph under wet conditions and it gripped well! I was amazed...from that moment on I was in love with these.

z350boy 08-25-2007 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ztalker
i thought nitto's got slightly stiffer sidewalls than Toyo. i could be wrong. i've had both before.

I had the Nitto extreme 555's and now have a set of Toyo TR1's being mounted. The Nitto's have a very stiff sidewall. I was told the Toyo's have a softer sidewall, but more grip as compared to the Nitto's. I will find out shortly.:cool:

Yokohamaz 08-26-2007 05:10 AM

I was at a Japanese tire store pricing a set of Volks yesterday. He gave me a quote of around $3500 for Volk GTF's with tires, balanced, caps etc. I asked him what kind of tires. He said Michelin. I asked if they had Toyo's. He gave me a sour ass face and asked me if I was fkn crazy. "Those tires suck and we don't even carry them."

Go figure.

AlvinHuyN 08-26-2007 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yokohamaz
I was at a Japanese tire store pricing a set of Volks yesterday. He gave me a quote of around $3500 for Volk GTF's with tires, balanced, caps etc. I asked him what kind of tires. He said Michelin. I asked if they had Toyo's. He gave me a sour ass face and asked me if I was fkn crazy. "Those tires suck and we don't even carry them."

Go figure.

wow thats a steal! $3500 for volks with tires! But then again I don't know what kind of Michelin they're giving you...I don't even know anyone running high end aftermarket wheels with that brand....maybe the guy was just trying to reel you in to make a sale because they make made michelin tires that no one wants :D :eek: :p

bloodwings19 08-26-2007 02:11 PM

I have over 9,000 miles on the Volk, and I drive like I care. I don't speed, I don't do any tricks and importantly, I don't drive in over 100 degree pavement in Texas. Mine tires still has a lot of miles to go, I would say at least 2 more years- knock on wood. I paid a little over $3K for my Volk and Toyo tires, but this was 2.5 years ago before price was raised on all Volk wheels. They had LE37T with Toyo tires for $3400, but I passed.

Originally Posted by Spike100
:confused: Isn't it the number of miles and not the length of time that determines tire wear statistics? If I parked the car for a year, there would be no wear.

--Spike

AlvinHuyN 08-26-2007 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bloodwings19
I have over 9,000 miles on the Volk, and I drive like I care. I don't speed, I don't do any tricks and importantly, I don't drive in over 100 degree pavement in Texas. Mine tires still has a lot of miles to go, I would say at least 2 more years- knock on wood. I paid a little over $3K for my Volk and Toyo tires, but this was 2.5 years ago before price was raised on all Volk wheels. They had LE37T with Toyo tires for $3400, but I passed.

Wow...3k for volks with tires brand new? What model did you buy and in what size, 3k sounds like prices for 18s.

RudeG_v2.0 08-26-2007 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
wow thats a steal! $3500 for volks with tires! But then again I don't know what kind of Michelin they're giving you...I don't even know anyone running high end aftermarket wheels with that brand....maybe the guy was just trying to reel you in to make a sale because they make made michelin tires that no one wants :D :eek: :p

:icon18: :rolleyes:

:thinking: I'm trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic or serious.:dunno:

Guys have been putting Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on high end wheels for a while now. IMO, it's a better tire than the Toyo T1R albeit one of the most expensive. The Pilot Sport 2 is coming OEM on Porsche's nowadays, including the Carrera GT. Is that high end enough for you?

Triple8Sol 08-27-2007 08:31 AM

The Toyo T1R is a great tire for the price, especially if you drive in the rain, as I do. It's definitely not the best dry tire out there, but it's not designed to be. Sure there are better tires out there like F1's & PS2's, but they cost a bit more. The only comparable one in price/quality/performance seems to be the FK452, although I can't be sure, since it's one of the few high-perf tires I haven't personally owned yet.