Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Winter daily driver and tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:42 AM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Winter daily driver and tires

Ok I am going to need to drive my 2003 Track version Z this winter. It hardly ever snows and if it does then driving the car willl not be an issue unless I get caught at work. So my questions are about what tires would you suggest. Background info you may need.

Avg temp: Usually low 20's in morning ranging to low 30's during colder months
Precipitation: Hardly ever snows (2 inches last year) but can rain a lot.
Daily miles: 20 miles or so mmax 1 way trip
Terrain: hilly
Roads: mostly interstate driving

At this time I have the 18 inch rays wheel on car with Dunlop Direzza I think they are called. Not terribly impressed with tire, and will eventually get a set of new rims in 18x9.5 R and 18x8.5 front so looking for sugestion about what type of tire I should go with and even a particular tire as well.

TIA
Old 08-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my G, for winter tires, I went with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. They are whats called "performance" snow tires. In other words, they give up a little cold wet performance to ensure that they still have good dry performance.

The big thing about snow tires is not the tread, although that is important, but the rubber compound. Winter/snow tires are made from a rubber compound that doesn't get hard or brittle when it is cold, unlike regular tires, even so called "all-season" tires. However, when they get hot, like in the summer months, these winter tires will wear a lot faster, so you don't want to continue to use them in the summer.

Anyways, thats my two cents.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Ztalker

studable winter tires

Winter daily driver and tires-fs_winterforce_ci1_l.jpg

Winter daily driver and tires-fs_winterforce_ci2_l.jpg
Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Scarab440

I run Dunlop graspics DS2's 225/50 front 225/55 rear on the stock touring 17s (yes they clear the factory brembos.). they are a bit more squirrelly than I would like (after all they are snow tires!) They grip very well and drive predictably in the white stuff. When it comes time to buy the next set I will go blizzak... or try the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's mentioned above.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:51 AM
redlude97

I run Michelin pilot arctic alpine PA2's in the stock 17" sizes. Costco usually has them for a decent price in the fall when they have the $60 off coupon
Old 08-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Sea Bass

To the OP, in case you didn't know, always go for the SKINNIEST tires you can get onto the car for winter driving. I know that you rarely get snow, so maybe it doesn't apply that much, but for people in the northeast who drive their Zs in the winter, this is important. I've got over 12 years winter driving experience in eastern Canada before I moved out here, and along with getting the ride tread, it's always important to remember this tidbit as well.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:39 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you shopping for all-season or snow tires?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think more along the lines of an all season tire. We don't get enough snow to demand a snow tire. It rarely snows here and the 2 times a year that it actually sticks, I can drive the Element if I just have to get out. What I am most concerned with actually is the rubber compound as UHP or MP tires tend to turn to slick like glass when it gets cold. Anyway that is why I am now searching for a tire. I have driven on Proxes 4 from Toyo and a All Season Performance tire from bridgestone that came with the last car. I have not really driven the Z in the winter because the ZR only came out of the garage when the temps were in the 40s. I recently had a friend die in a G35 and since she crashed not much more than a mile from where her trip began this past winter, I can't help but think it had to do with the car not handling like she believed it would. Anyway to late to make this short but looking for a tire compound that will be sporty enough so I don''t have to drive the Z like I have a bushel of eggs in the car. I still need the tires to have enough grip in the cold to make me comfortable my wife annd myself will make it home safely.

Being overly dramatic but you get the point.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:52 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR
I would think more along the lines of an all season tire. We don't get enough snow to demand a snow tire. It rarely snows here and the 2 times a year that it actually sticks, I can drive the Element if I just have to get out. What I am most concerned with actually is the rubber compound as UHP or MP tires tend to turn to slick like glass when it gets cold. Anyway that is why I am now searching for a tire. I have driven on Proxes 4 from Toyo and a All Season Performance tire from bridgestone that came with the last car. I have not really driven the Z in the winter because the ZR only came out of the garage when the temps were in the 40s. I recently had a friend die in a G35 and since she crashed not much more than a mile from where her trip began this past winter, I can't help but think it had to do with the car not handling like she believed it would. Anyway to late to make this short but looking for a tire compound that will be sporty enough so I don''t have to drive the Z like I have a bushel of eggs in the car. I still need the tires to have enough grip in the cold to make me comfortable my wife annd myself will make it home safely.

Being overly dramatic but you get the point.

Check any of these top rated tires.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

I just bought the Bridgestone Potenza pole position RE0960AS tires, 245/40/18 fronts and 275/40/18 rears. They have been highly rated for all-season tires.