Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Starting up a wheel company need some feedback!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Red6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do want to make rims that people can go to the track with dont get me wrong.

I like to see a show of hands tell me what guys are tracking two peice custom 18" wheels?

I can make a 18" two piece rim but are people willing to pay $3500+ for them (when a Volk LE37 is cheaper has more performance value + established reputation)?

I dont think realistically the hard core track guys are not going to buy my rims over
let say a one piece forged which is s lighter rim!

I track my car on Volk GT-C 20" rims now on my Saleen (I'm pushing 550hp). If I could afford to track more myself i would go a one peice forged rim in a smaller size and less weight.

I'm looking for people who want something different, bigger lips, choice in offset, color, size, simple design + quick turn around time.

I cant please everyone and the track guys are by far the hardest.

Last edited by Red6; 09-18-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Red6
i like to see a show of hands tell me what guys are tracking two peice custom 18" wheels?

Also thoses interested in a 18" two piece rim are you willing to pay $3500+ for it?

I personally think you should specialize in the big sizes, but look at ccw wheels. They are about that price.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Red6

Originally Posted by Tubbs
I personally think you should specialize in the big sizes, but look at ccw wheels. They are about that price.
Thanks!

CCW offers most of their applications in a one piece forged wheel.

They only offer one style in a 3 piece design which I want to stay away from.

3 piece wheels are made with more parts which means more added weight + glue.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Sergio07350Z

If You Need Help Marketing Those wheels Feel Free to Contact me or send me a Message. Or i can Promote your company on my 350Z

Glad to Help.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 PM
S12 driver

I know most brand name wheels owners will disagree, but if you're a startup company, copy other company's design. There's no good Volk TE37, GTS, or SF Winnings replicas. If you make a regular cast one piece version and sell it for cheap, they would sell like hotcakes.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Red6

No looking to copy anyones wheel designs or make a heavy cast wheel (I'll let Tenzo or Axis type company do that).

I want to do a fresh elegant five spoke, a classic but special mesh design, and then something simple but completely different to bring to the market.

I may have a contest for future designs because I want the market driven by the customer and fresh designs.

Last edited by Red6; 09-18-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:56 AM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S12 driver
I know most brand name wheels owners will disagree, but if you're a startup company, copy other company's design. There's no good Volk TE37, GTS, or SF Winnings replicas. If you make a regular cast one piece version and sell it for cheap, they would sell like hotcakes.

Well there are Rota-Volk Knock offs I believe but who wants to throw a cheap replica on there Z, its just wrong... I own Volks and would laugh my *** off at a Z with replica Volks on it!!

The thread starter is coming across that he wants to make nice classy forged wheels not fake knock offs....If you want cheap wheels then buy some motegi's or something off ebay...
Old 09-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

um yes there are

http://www.exelife.com/blog/automoti...off-volks.html

to the OP props on doing this Im glad there are still some people with creativity left in the industry
Old 09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Tubbs

Some people would gladly sell their soul to make a profit selling knock offs of other products, so that cheap Walmart type people can buy them. I'm glad the OP is not. And for that, alone, I support him.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Fluid1

I don't see anything groundbreaking here.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Red6

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I don't see anything groundbreaking here.
You will see my friend.

I not going to blast my idea all over the net only get punked by a knock off or bigger company.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:12 PM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see a wheel with no lip and incredibly aggressive concave face.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Zexy

Walk the walk and don't talk the talk my friend..

Everyone has the "idea" that they'r afraid of people "knocking over".. An idea is not gold unless people actually see money is made from it. Not because it sounds like one. Being siad that good luck on your venture and i'll be seing the future progress of this thread and your future wheel company i guess..
Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
Some people would gladly sell their soul to make a profit selling knock offs of other products, so that cheap Walmart type people can buy them. I'm glad the OP is not. And for that, alone, I support him.
+1

I can't see the hardcore guys breaking loyalty from Rays/Work/Advan etc. but at least youre trying to make something quality, not a lame replica. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:33 PM
taurran

If performance is the goal, you at least need to offer some 18" wheels. You can't buy good tires in anything above that size. You mention Corvettes running 19's, but many are sticking with the 18 front/19 rear combo that comes with the car.

Good luck, but I think that you'd be making a mistake producing a "performance" wheel that didn't come in anything smaller than 19".

Most people on this site won't agree, but all 19"+ wheels ARE a show/bling wheels. The size serves no purpose other than looks.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Red6

Originally Posted by Zexy
Walk the walk and don't talk the talk my friend..

Everyone has the "idea" that they'r afraid of people "knocking over".. An idea is not gold unless people actually see money is made from it. Not because it sounds like one. Being siad that good luck on your venture and i'll be seing the future progress of this thread and your future wheel company i guess..
Oh my designs will make money but it comes with risk. Most people say what they are going to do and never do it. I'm finishing up my MBA with a concentration in entrepreneurship/small business and the #1 one thing people do not do is to take risks!

I have experience in the wheel industry, had well known SEMA show cars (yes the Z included). I'm friends with people over at Mackin Industries, American Racing, JIC, I-forged & DPE + connections to get things done.

The wheels I'm going to produce are well engineered something way different (again I'm not going to say). Affordable to most (probably not) but the benefit of my wheels will open up a new niche in the wheel industry.

I’m not going to win over everyone! Rays wheels will always have a following because hey they make awesome wheels (hell thats what I run even now)! Advan has their market as well (light one piece forged designs).

I'm not looking to take out the competition just add choice and a new mode of thinking (in this inside the box driven industry)

I'm an absolute perfectionist with everything I do (just good is not enough for me)! It def boils over in my hobbies and work ethics.

Heres a pic of my old project Z and my current car a 2005 Saleen (I like products at a certain visual level and stive to always be the best).

Def guys I'll keep you posted and appreciate the feedback (positive and negative).

Thanks

Last edited by Red6; 09-18-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember that z in a couple of magazines. I'd suggest having a very wide range in offsets and widths... improper offsets ftl.

I'd also agree with expanding the lineup to at least have 18's
Old 09-18-2007, 10:50 PM
SergEK

I swear, the guy says not 18s to start and everyone tells him why he should do 18's

I think his focus is primarily STREET wheels which are more geared towards looks hence heavier 2 piece design

If you want 18" one piece wheels VOLK has quite a few choices (Along with WORK etc...)

Mustangs, Z's, Chargers, New Camaro, Vettes, Cayman, 911 ....19's will be their street wheel choice if not larger

My Stock wheels are 19X10 in the rear....from Nissan (Luckily there are one piece so they arent complete bricks)

For the street I think more often than not the multi piece wheels are ordered in 19's on Z's and G's

Now for the track an 18 would be nicer (tire choices are somewhat limited for 19's) And if you track your car youll have a dedicated set of track wheels and tires simply for the abuse you subject them to at the track and the more agressive compounds youll be running

Why would you beat up a multipiece wheels like that?

A strong light 18" one piece forged wheel is perfect for the track ---- a badass 2-3 piece fat lipped rolling 19" brick for the street lol
Old 09-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Basscadet

19, 20 and 22 inch wheels?

Are you making truck wheels or wheels for a car?

Even the almighty Ferrari Enzo comes with 19" wheels. I would offer inexpensive, LIGHTWEIGHT (which means under 20, not above 20) wheels that have a simple design for broad appeal.

I would look strongly at what Subydude.com offers. Their wheels are not tacky, are made well, and are affordable.

If you want to make bling bling chrome trash like the hundreds of other websites out there like wheelsnext.com and places like that, join the herd. Competition is fierce in that market.

17,18,19 inchers needs to be your market. That's the most common size wheel for people who are looking to buy aftermarket.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Basscadet

Originally Posted by 03redlineZ
Well there are Rota-Volk Knock offs I believe but who wants to throw a cheap replica on there Z, its just wrong... I own Volks and would laugh my *** off at a Z with replica Volks on it!!
It's a Nissan, not a Porsche.

People who put $3500 wheels on a $20,000 car are foolish, especially if they don't put the car through its paces. And ESPECIALLY if they're putting expensive, heavy garbage wheels (i.e. iForged or HRE) that are soft on their cars.

Quick Reply: Starting up a wheel company need some feedback!