Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Repolishing Volk GTS Lips

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
That's just it, they didn't break it in the sense it is cracked or bent. IMHO it can be repaired to like new condition. What if they gave you fair market value for your wheels as compensation like an insurance company would? $600/wheel new, but fair market value of a used wheel would be maybe $250/wheel? What then??

It isn't like the shop is hanging him out to dry. The are making an effort to resolve the situation
Not enough effort IMO. Although you have had a few nice sets. $300/$400 per wheels is about $1200 to $1600 while his are ~700 - 800 a piece making them $2800 - $3200 a set. I dunno bro, I'm just saying IMO if I was in his shoes I'd be demanding new wheels. Not only does his new wheels are now damaged but even after polishing the trouble it would take to keep them 100% shiny all the time is going to be a pain in the ***.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok an update:

The place is still saying they will only repolish the wheels, but they sya that if I would like they will repolish the wheels and I can sell them on ebay or private sell and they will split the difference for a new set. Although not quite what I would like to do it seems like a decent deal. . . thoughts? They absolutely refuse to buy the new wheels outright. I offered to let them have the old set to polish and sell on their own.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Get_Zwole

that doesnt sound too bad get it in writing and signed by their owner. Then youc an sell them. Make sure in writing it says they will pay 100% of the difference so they dont try to sneak out of something.

Last edited by Get_Zwole; 02-04-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
Not enough effort IMO. Although you have had a few nice sets. $300/$400 per wheels is about $1200 to $1600 while his are ~700 - 800 a piece making them $2800 - $3200 a set. I dunno bro, I'm just saying IMO if I was in his shoes I'd be demanding new wheels. Not only does his new wheels are now damaged but even after polishing the trouble it would take to keep them 100% shiny all the time is going to be a pain in the ***.
see, i knew you were sizing me up in terms of what wheels I had. And if it didn't fall with in the big baller volk/work meister category, my opinion on the matter means less.....
I priced out a set of RE30's before I made my most recent purchase and they were a couple hundred bucks more than what my SSR wheels cost. That said, I have spent my money on this car, much more than you have and have more than a flashy body kit and a set of wheels with a big lip to show for it

IMHO I could have bought a set of 19" wagon wheel volks and spent my days worrying about fender rolling, curbing the lip, running tons of camber on my stretched tire just to make my overly agressive offset fit without rubbing, and then having to worry about someone at the dealership or car wash acid washing my lip and forever ruining my precious wheels. instead, I chose decent wheels that are fairly light, and give my car a modest, but somewhat aggressive look.... and are functional in terms of traction and fitting over my brakes.

Your car is nice and all and I do appreciate a nice set of wheels, but like I said, I knew you were just feeling me out on what wheels I had. And being I don't own a set of 3K buck volks, I couldn't begin to know what the owner here is going through in a situation like this.

/rant

Last edited by Zivman; 02-04-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
redlude97

That's just it, they didn't break it in the sense it is cracked or bent. IMHO it can be repaired to like new condition. What if they gave you fair market value for your wheels as compensation like an insurance company would? $600/wheel new, but fair market value of a used wheel would be maybe $250/wheel? What then??

It isn't like the shop is hanging him out to dry. The are making an effort to resolve the situation
No it can't. There are almost no shops that can replicate the polishing and anodizing on the volk lips, clearcoat is not "like new condition", its a poor substitute for the real thing, as well as leaving them bare. There is no easy way to return them to their previous condition, which is why buying a new set is actually the easier/cheaper way of resolving the issue than trying to find a shop that will do clear anodizing
Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redlude97
No it can't. There are almost no shops that can replicate the polishing and anodizing on the volk lips, clearcoat is not "like new condition", its a poor substitute for the real thing, as well as leaving them bare. There is no easy way to return them to their previous condition, which is why buying a new set is actually the easier/cheaper way of resolving the issue than trying to find a shop that will do clear anodizing
+1, for the love of god please get this into your head. they will NEVER be as good as new. the next closest thing like i said would have been to have the lip chromed.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by Nexx
+1, for the love of god please get this into your head. they will NEVER be as good as new. the next closest thing like i said would have been to have the lip chromed.
thanks for all the input so far. BTW special thanks to Sharif for his help offline getting info from Mackin for me. I am hoping to get this resolved. If the guy is willing to make up the difference from the old set to the new after I sell them then the end result will be the same. i get a new set of Volks. Hmm anybody want a good deal on a set of GTS wheels?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Get_Zwole

your 1 week too late buddy or id scoop um up off of ya
Old 02-04-2008, 02:27 PM
sammyG350gt

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

my local infiniti dealer recently destroyed the finish on my GT-7's while my car was in for service. It looks like they put spray brake cleaner on the lips

so far they're being pretty responsible about it and have sent the wheels out to be repaired. I tried to explain the complexities of the anodized finish and that it may be in everyone's best interest (cost wise) just to have the barrels chromed.

I just got off the phone with my service rep and he said they are putting them back to factory specs (anodized)

I'm a little worried they're just going to strip, polish and clear coat the wheels.

Supposedly they've been in contact with someone at mackin.

The worst part is... these wheels cannot be replaced!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:28 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by sammyG350gt
my local infiniti dealer recently destroyed the finish on my GT-7's while my car was in for service. It looks like they put spray brake cleaner on the lips

so far they're being pretty responsible about it and have sent the wheels out to be repaired. I tried to explain the complexities of the anodized finish and that it may be in everyone's best interest (cost wise) just to have the barrels chromed.

I just got off the phone with my service rep and he said they are putting them back to factory specs (anodized)

I'm a little worried they're just going to strip, polish and clear coat the wheels.

Supposedly they've been in contact with someone at mackin.

The worst part is... these wheels cannot be replaced!!!
This is why I only let Forged Performance touch my motor and need to find a local body shop that is not retarded. . . Peace of mind is worth the extra money. Hard lesson learned by us.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
redlude97

actually, best advice is have a set of stock wheels whenever it goes into the shop. Cheap insurance IMO
Old 02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by redlude97
actually, best advice is have a set of stock wheels whenever it goes into the shop. Cheap insurance IMO
yeah that will definitely be happening
Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 PM
zSupreme7
Banned

Whatever you end up agreeing to, GET IT IN WRITING. Who knows if they'll change their mind down the road, before it's all resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

see, i knew you were sizing me up in terms of what wheels I had. And if it didn't fall with in the big baller volk/work meister category, my opinion on the matter means less.....
I priced out a set of RE30's before I made my most recent purchase and they were a couple hundred bucks more than what my SSR wheels cost. That said, I have spent my money on this car, much more than you have and have more than a flashy body kit and a set of wheels with a big lip to show for it

IMHO I could have bought a set of 19" wagon wheel volks and spent my days worrying about fender rolling, curbing the lip, running tons of camber on my stretched tire just to make my overly agressive offset fit without rubbing, and then having to worry about someone at the dealership or car wash acid washing my lip and forever ruining my precious wheels. instead, I chose decent wheels that are fairly light, and give my car a modest, but somewhat aggressive look.... and are functional in terms of traction and fitting over my brakes.

Your car is nice and all and I do appreciate a nice set of wheels, but like I said, I knew you were just feeling me out on what wheels I had. And being I don't own a set of 3K buck volks, I couldn't begin to know what the owner here is going through in a situation like this.

/rant
I wasn't setting you up for anything. I was simply stating that in my honest opinion, if it was "my" wheels - I'd raise hell because of how much I spent They would never be the same to me

I know what you're saying and yes I have had anywhere from a $600 a set to $800 a piece wheels. And I did felt really good about having the $600 set because it was so cheap to replace and maintain. However, the satisfaction of having the perfect offset, the look, and the strength of the wheel that I wanted outweights the trouble I'd have to go through to maintain them..

It's the same with my car, I always feels 10x less worried when I park my beater car at school - but I always love to drive my Z, because it's worth the trouble - it just feels better to me.