Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Emergency Spacer help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:55 AM
SeinZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Spacer help!

In advance: I've searched and can't find an answers to my problem...only questions about wheel spacer size/fitment.

The problem:

So I installed ichiba 25mm wheel spacers on my 06 Z 2 days ago and I find myself tightening the lug bolts to 80lb ft after every car ride.

The lugs keep getting loose to the point where I can hand tighten them.

When I installed the new extended wheel studs I pulled them into the hub to anchor them by tightening a lug nut onto each stud to pull them through. I saw the extended studs get pulled into the hub and then checked and they seemed very solidly mounted.

Does anybody know what the issue is? So far I have had to tighten the lug nuts 4-5 times? Is this a problem with th extended studs or with the lug nuts?

I should note that I am tightening the lug nuts to 80 lb ft every time and am using an accurate torque wrench. Also, my wheels are the factory 18's

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:18 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a good situation.

Are the lug nuts the proper size and shape for the wheels?

Are the lug nuts bottoming-out on the lugs? In other words they are closed lug nuts, and the torque is applied to the inside of the nut and top of the lug. The nuts are too short.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 AM
SeinZ

The lug nuts are the factory ones that came on the car with the factory wheels (still on the car) and they are the closed type that use a 21mm socket. Did thenismoshop.com send me extended lugs that are too long?

What can I do? I'd rather not have to go looking for open-ended lug nuts and don't think they would look right on the car (exposing a gold lug).

Thanks again
Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 AM
tree_fitty

get some opened lugs, your bolts are too long!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:55 PM
SeinZ

So I got a set of open-ended lugs for the rear of the car (spacers are on the rear). The problem is solved for the passanger side. However, the drivers side wheel bolts still loosed up a bit after a 10 mile drive.

This is very weird...fixed the problem on one side but not the other. what gives?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM
tware

have you cleaned the mating surface between the rotor and wheel (both sides). Are you using hubcentrics and are they the right size? are they on a clean surface?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are the lug nuts by any chance flat, trying to mount into a curved hole on the wheel ?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:45 AM
SeinZ

I did not clean the surfaces. Is this a necessary step even if no obvious dibris was seen on any of the surfaces?

And theses spacers are the hubcentric ones from Ichibia. I ordered them from thenismoshop.com and they seemed to fit perfectly.

As for the lug nuts, they are open-ended and have an angled face like the factory ones so as to seat properly into the wheel.

Thanks again for the help.

Has anybody ever had this problem before?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you seating the lugs while the tire is off the ground, and than tightening them up when it's lowered?

Any chance you are using a 1.50 thread pattern on a 1.25 bolt? They would screw on but not hold tight.