Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

You get what you pay for. (failed rotas)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 AM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iStan
I STRONGLY Disagree. I say cheap wheels for streets and quality for any autosport. Godforbid I get a cracked wheel like doing 120 on a road course or 45 full tilt at an autocross. -(Vegas people will understand what I mean )
We sponsor a few time attack teams and they have had amazing success with Rota wheels. One of the teams that stands out is the GST Motorsports Impreza L which has won tons of events and is constantly placing first in their class and 1st overall.

They run the Rota P45R and the Rota Torque on their car. Never once have they had an issue with the wheels after countless laps. This car has been through a ton of abuse and hit many berms yet the wheels are still holding strong

and some pictures from this weekend where they won 1st for AWD Unlimited

Rota P45R

Rota Torque

Various other cars from this weekend

-Dan
Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^Oh yeah. That cars ***** fast.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
what did I tell ya?
+10000 Volk > Rotas Any day.....
Old 07-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Chineseguy

Originally Posted by rgeist554
How did you curb the INSIDE of your wheel? No offense, but that just looks like some driver error... I could be wrong, but some of the story is missing. It also looks like a band of rubber from the middle of the tire is missing... kinda like it rubbed against something. (Notice the dark band in the middle of the tire compared to the brownish top and bottom near the rim)

I'm not trying to take sides here, but it seems pretty unfair of people to come out and say that Rotas suck without wanting to hear the whole story or trying to find any more info out.

Just "Oh, the wheel cracked, they obviously suck." Given the right conditions that could happen to anyone on any wheel.
After the rim crack, i found the rim to be useless. so i just layed it down on face up in my backyard. So those scrapes and scratches you see didnt happen because of "driver error". i curbed these rotas once and i doubt the curbing cause the crack.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:22 PM
zcaveman69

Wow it's difficult for some to hide their ignorance on the net, to say "volk > Rota any day"? You might as well compare a phuckin Porsche 911 to a Honda Civic, or a Ducati to a Suzuki, it's forged vs cast. Surely the cost to manufacture/advertise a volk wheel is greater than the cost of a Rota wheel, does that mean the Rota is shyt? No, absolutely not.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Musto

thats pretty crappy man. i spent 2400 on some rozzi wheels about 2-3 years ago for another car i had, they came with a lifetime warrenty, and when one cracked last year, they told me they didnt make my wheel anymore, and all they could do is give me a diffrent STYLE wheel, he said that was no big deal "since they do it all the time on show cars"

they expected me to have 3. of one style rims, and one diffrnet style....what a load of crap.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zcaveman69
Wow it's difficult for some to hide their ignorance on the net, to say "volk > Rota any day"? You might as well compare a phuckin Porsche 911 to a Honda Civic, or a Ducati to a Suzuki, it's forged vs cast. Surely the cost to manufacture/advertise a volk wheel is greater than the cost of a Rota wheel, does that mean the Rota is shyt? No, absolutely not.
Forged vs. cast..... let's explore this argument. Enkei and ADVAN make cast wheels and both companies probably make up about 35% of the wheels on racetracks. In Japan ADVAN and WORK cast wheels both have a huge presence on the tracks.. Int the U.S. Enkei are huge. There are so many RPF01 cast wheels on the Koni Challenge circuit almost every other car running has them.

On top of that MOST Volks are not forged. All the 2 piece wheels are cast centers.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Thread title pretty much sums it up. /thread
Old 07-01-2008, 02:43 PM
kutnupe14

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chineseguy
So i guess im stuck with 3 rotas.
Call up Cube... he may be interested, he tends to do the "3 Wheel Motion" thing... j/k sorry dude, that sucks, time for Volkies
Old 07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com
Here is a recent thread from someone who hit a concrete median at 30mph head on, the Rota P45 wheel has a bent lip but did not crack at all. Even his tire blew out yet the wheel did not crack

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/364856-mother-f-i-ran-over-a-concrete-median.html

These wheels have proven to be very durable but just like any other wheel out there, they can get damaged with a huge impact.

-Dan

Ohh i've become an advertisment... lol

Seriously though that is crazy! My Rota's are still solid though... hope you figure something out.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
brigz

Personally i wouldnt take the risk of going with "affordable" rims. If the risk of cracking is more likely with rotas, imagine if the barrel of the wheel actually broke off the spokes during a drive or even worse, during an auto-x. Instead of spending a little more on qualilty wheels, you would end up spending money fixing the damage due to a broken rim.

Just wondering, the track cars posted above drive 99 percent of the time on smooth roads. Daily drivers deal with potholes, uneven roads, and junk on the road. So do tracked rims really go under impact stress like street driven rims?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
NismoZ33

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Forged vs. cast..... let's explore this argument. Enkei and ADVAN make cast wheels and both companies probably make up about 35% of the wheels on racetracks. In Japan ADVAN and WORK cast wheels both have a huge presence on the tracks.. Int the U.S. Enkei are huge. There are so many RPF01 cast wheels on the Koni Challenge circuit almost every other car running has them.

On top of that MOST Volks are not forged. All the 2 piece wheels are cast centers.
35%? how did you come up with this number? Which Race tracks/event are you talking about in japan?

reason why you see RPF01 in Koni Challenge is cause they give them out for FREE.

Yes I aggree that the 2pcs volk wheels center are cast but the most important part of the wheel that need to be forged is the outter. The outter of all 2pcs Volk are forged.

BTW if cast wheels are so great why don't Formula One (the pinnacle or racing) use cast wheels?

just my 2 cent.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
kutnupe14

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoZ33
35%? how did you come up with this number?
Magic 8 Ball?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM
turismo

Just purchase some Volks and be done with it
Old 07-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Changvi

Originally Posted by brigz
Personally i wouldnt take the risk of going with "affordable" rims. If the risk of cracking is more likely with rotas, imagine if the barrel of the wheel actually broke off the spokes during a drive or even worse, during an auto-x. Instead of spending a little more on qualilty wheels, you would end up spending money fixing the damage due to a broken rim.

Just wondering, the track cars posted above drive 99 percent of the time on smooth roads. Daily drivers deal with potholes, uneven roads, and junk on the road. So do tracked rims really go under impact stress like street driven rims?
Amen, absolutely agree with ya..
Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
dieselmcore

think about it this way, u wouldn't put **** tyres on a powerful car

same concept, good luck...
Old 07-01-2008, 03:30 PM
SpoilsofWar

I lol at this forum sometimes.

Some of you guys think any wheel that doesnt have a Volk sticker on it is a ticking time bomb.

They are nice wheels for sure, but bolting a different brand, even if its (GASP) cheaper, to your axles does not always result in disaster...
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

volks - huge mark up = SSRs
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
ProjectAlpha

what do you expect from a rota wheel? rota FTL

Old 07-01-2008, 04:07 PM
sukebe

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
I lol at this forum sometimes.

Some of you guys think any wheel that doesnt have a Volk sticker on it is a ticking time bomb.

They are nice wheels for sure, but bolting a different brand, even if its (GASP) cheaper, to your axles does not always result in disaster...

+1

Quick Reply: You get what you pay for. (failed rotas)