Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

NITTO NT05 yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:31 PM
germanguy818

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NITTO NT05 yay or nay

hey guys im looking for 2 rear performance tires that i can drive to the drag strip and back home on a pair of spare rims so i can easily swap rims back to stock after the races. now what i am looking for is straight up grip. i know that drag radials are best such as mickey thomsons, or some toyo proxes r888's but they are all pretty pricey. i believe the nt05's retail at about $230/tire for 275/40/18 and i was referred to someone who'd sell them to me for $160/tire brand new. does anyone know anything about these tires as far as treadwear/grip/performance is concerned...??? all input is appreciated thx guys!!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 PM
germanguy818

bump..?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would never buy nitto..

continental, michelin, kumho, or bridgestone are good
Old 08-14-2009, 07:45 PM
germanguy818

thx for the input. any bad exp with nitto or why the dislike
Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
costilla

Originally Posted by singh

I thought continental tires sucked. I was reading the august issue of car and driver and they tested some good brand tires and the dunlap dirzza's star tires won. I was also going to buy the nt05 but now its between those or the dunlap's. Go to tirerack and they usually have a bunch of reviews on each tire.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 PM
singh

no they don't suck. They are factory tires on my dad's '09 S550.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 PM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

I recently wrote a review of the Nitto NT05's as I just put a set on one of my cars. It's not a Z however I hope this review helps others considering these tires

"When I purchased my M3 it came with a practically brand new set of Toyo T1R's in 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear. I'm a firm believer in tire performance and instead of first swapping out suspension, sway bars, braces, etc.. I start with what matters the most, TIRES! The Toyo T1R's ride great but lets face it, they aren't a true performance tire that can really show what the M3 is capable of. I previously owned a set of Nitto NT05's on my WRX (this car had seen it all, ranging from Bridgestone RE-01R's, Falken RT615's, Dunlop Z1 Star Specs, etc..) and was very impressed with their performance on the street but also on the track. When I found out the Nitto NT05 came in the same 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 sizes I was ecstatic. :woohoo:

Initial Impressions:The Nitto NT05 is a great looking tire. It has an aggressive tread design that screams performance! Also I wanted to comment on the tread design and overall look of the tire. This isn't very important to me however when talking to people or viewing forums they often ask if a tire "looks good". These tires look like a serious performance tire and have a very attractive design. I've never had so many people ask what kind of tires are on the car after looking at only tread design Overall score initial impressions: A+

Street Driving Impressions:Comfort and noise is a big concern for me with the M3. This car is my daily driver and I do drive with passengers often. I usually don't mind a slightly firmer ride however I want those in my car to be comfortable at all times. The Toyo T1R's have a very soft sidewall and overall ride great with little to no noise, which is what I do like about them. The Nitto NT05 did not let me down though, whether I'm cruising around town or keeping steady pace on the freeway, there isn't a ton of tire noise. I did notice a firmer ride with these tires but that is fully expected as they do have a firmer sidewall than the T1R. On a comfort level of 1-10, I would rate the T1R at a 10 and the NT05 at a 8. Still very acceptable and I have no problems daily driving my car with these tires :thumbsup2:Overall score daily driving: A-

Dry Performance:I'm almost at a lost for words, well no not really, but that's the feeling you get after taking a turn with these tires I was literally speechless as I couldn't believe I had that much grip with this car, let alone I was in complete control of the car! If I wanted to have fun with the Toyo T1R's I would have to turn traction control off as every time I started to take a turn somewhat quick the rear end would start to come out. Or if I was to "jack rabbit" off from a stop while making a slight turn, the rear end would want to come out on me. This isn't the case with the Nitto NT05! Traction, traction, and even more TRACTION. My M3 is fairly stock for power modifications however I can't break loose with these tires weather it's a quick start while turning on to a road, a quick shift from 1st to 2nd, or just all out mashing the gas while in a quick turn. If you are wanting more grip (especially those with forced induction) you have a new tire that will handle this power with ease :thumbsup2:Overall score dry performance: A+

Wet Driving:For the last couple of weeks it's been nice and sunny here in California. I was hoping to get a chance to drive in the wet with these tires and let everyone know my impressions. When I had these on my WRX I would often drive in the rain and they shockingly handled very well. It's not often an all out extreme performance tire handles well in wet conditions, but they far exceeded my expectations and the car was very stable. However, I can't do a direct comparison with an AWD and a RWD car for wet handling so I will be leaving my overall score blank for now. (I will edit and update post after our next rainy day) Overall score in the wet: -

Track Performance:Unfortunately I've been extremely busy with work and I haven't had a chance to take the M3 out to the track with these tires. As mentioned above, I had a set on my previous WRX (600hp+ street/track car) and they were amazing on the track. Where others tires were fall off after a couple laps, the Nitto NT05's would continue to shine and be very predictable. I have no doubt that this set will perform just as well but until I get out on the track I'm leaving my overall score blank (I will edit and update post after my next track day!) Overall score on the track: -

Overall Analysis:I can't be anymore direct than this, I switched from my previous Toyo T1R's to the Nitto NT05 and I'm never looking back. I found that I gave up very little comfort and gained tons of dry traction, way more response, and overall a better feel while driving. Give them a try, I do not think you will be disappointed. Overall score: A+

Pictures, because who doesn't like looking at some sick tires :thumbsup2: And also some sick wheels just recently installed the Linea Corse Leman's in Gold "

Originally Posted by singh

Why is that? I've ran Nitto tires on many of my cars and I love them.

-Dan

Last edited by WheelDude.com; 08-14-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 AM
germanguy818

wow ur analysis is amazing. lol thats all i needed to hear, nitto tires will be going on my car today! lol i was thinking of buying 2 rims and putting the tires on that set of spare rims so that i'd be able to swap rims and drive my nt05' to the track, run them, and come back. then swap my rims again to stock in order to maximize the nitto's tread life. but then again my buddy has his falkon rt 615? the zenies i think, well he uses those tires for every day driving and he goes canyon driving a lot. both tires are 200 treadwear and if his last that long im sure i wont have a problem driving the nt05's around on surface streets and save the money i'd spend on 2 extra rims. but thanks again for the feedback and analysis! if anyone else has anything to say about the nittos please feel free to do so!

oh and singh, just because ur dads car came with continental tires doesnt mean that they are the best tires in the world....remember the s550 is a powerful car, however its mainly luxury. we are looking for straight performance tires here to take our cars to the drag strip and tracks. im sure your dad wont be taking his 550 to the track with his continentals. lmao they are good for smooth/quiet driving but its not nearly as much of a performance tire as nittos are. ;-) props though, the 550 is a nice car. a cls 550 took me off the line another day and we kept that 1 car gap all the way down the strip. that was with my factory tires though
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 AM
NyCSnEaK

I wish they made the Nt05 in the stock 18 sizes. Going to go with Yoko Advan 08's. My replacements when Spring(ahhhh) comes back around, if Nitto does not expand there size line-up. They stick like crazy glue when warmed up. Conti's are nice for sporting intentions, but will not be getting my bread when it come's to max performance tires.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:46 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by costilla
I thought continental tires sucked. I was reading the august issue of car and driver and they tested some good brand tires and the dunlap dirzza's star tires won. I was also going to buy the nt05 but now its between those or the dunlap's. Go to tirerack and they usually have a bunch of reviews on each tire.
The Dunlops are one of the best tires you can get right now for grip. Many Track people I know swear by them now.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 AM
somebody

i love my NT05s on the track......good tires. I originally wanted the direzza's but, couldn't get them for my wheels....
NT05s were my second choice & happy with them so far...about 2,000km + a few track days.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 AM
blasian

My buddy ran his NT05s on the road course and the instructor was very impressed by them for being a street tire.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to hear from some of you guys that have used them in the rain. I am thinking about these, but need to hear some opinions about them in the rain. I have heard alot of good stuff about the dunlap dirzza's star. This seem to be my 2 choices with the research that I have done. Keep the comments coming. I have heard the dunlaps doing good in the rain.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 AM
somebody

MW9...
my car is a daily driver....I have no problems with the tires.....
very stable in the wet......even in heavy rain......haven't experienced any aquaplaning.
also, they seem to wear nicely.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 AM
BarefootRacer

I am also running NT-05 and love them. I have driven my car in the rain and i was very impressed with these tires. No hydroplaning what so ever and they felt sticky even in the wet. lol. The dry grip and cornering grip are also amazing. Since this is a pretty new tire to the market everyone isnt sold on them yet, but everyone i know that has driven on them love them. This time next year this tire will be huge!! Cant beat it for the money ethier.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 AM
germanguy818

i agree with you barefoot. since this tire is new not many people know about it yet. but the ones that do love this tire. and as far as my tire choice is concerned i made my decision to go with this tire as well, plus i got a good price from one of my local tireshops $160/tire brand new 275/40/18's cant wait to see results!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Zoom750

^at that price, I'd be stocking up on them. Enjoying my setup w/ 273/35 up front & 275/40 rear, although I seem to trip the VDC more often now than with my old staggered set. Given that I wanted to keep the circumference as close/consistent to stock as possible, ended up choosing these by default.

Was very happy with the NT-05's at an HPDE, and have had no white knuckle experiences driving in the rain so far.