Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Smaller manufactures vs Big brands

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:59 PM
lamluc01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smaller manufactures vs Big brands

Hi everyone,

Do you think it’s worth the spend the extra money on well known brand tires versus smaller manufactures?

I’m quite satisfied with my current tires (Maxxis MA-Z1 18 inch) in terms of performance. However they need to be replaced.

So I’ve started looking for alternatives. I came to realise there is a big price difference ($300-$400) with the big brands for a ‘similar marketed’ tire. As it is difficult to find a good test review for high performance tires I was wondering if it’s worth spending the extra money. The budget is not really a consideration here, I just hate to spend money for nothing.

So what are your experiences with lesser know brands versus the big guys?

Here’s my driving conditions:

- 99% of the time during the weekend and only during the summer months
- 90% of the time just cruising
- 10% of the time sport driving on back roads (like to brake late and hard and aiming for a fast exit, however always within the envelop of the car, no reckless driving here as my wife is most of the time with me)
- Less than perfect pavement conditions most of the time

Here’s another related question, with the above driving conditions, when do you go for a performance tire versus high performance one? Here’s an example, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus versus the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2?

Luc
2007 GT Roadster 6 speed
Old 07-20-2010, 05:15 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

To answer the easy question - the Pilot Sport A/S are all-season, meaning that they are made for a wide variety of conditions, including very cold, lots of rain, etc. The PS2 is the ultra-high-performance tires made for warm to hot, damp to dry, high speed, max traction conditions.

Probably the main differences between the major brands and the smaller players are experience, R&D, far reaching areas of expertise, greater selection and wider availability.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 07-20-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No tire is superior in all categories. Each is a trade-off.

Organisations such as Consumer Report does quantitative testing. I believe the conclusions.

90 percent of drivers will not test a tires full capabilities. Then comes the odd occasion when a car in front brakes, and you must stop in the rain. What do you want on your car?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
No tire is superior in all categories. Each is a trade-off.

Organisations such as Consumer Report does quantitative testing. I believe the conclusions.

90 percent of drivers will not test a tires full capabilities. Then comes the odd occasion when a car in front brakes, and you must stop in the rain. What do you want on your car?
The jumping mechanism on Speed Racers Mach V.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 AM
idrive_MD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are happy with your Maxxis tires, why change it up when its time to buy new? Likely odds are that if you get a similar performance tire from another manufacture you will probably like it better than your old worn out maxxis because you are more than likely not going to remember how well they performed in the beginning.

To answer your larger question...nothing wrong with giving a new company a chance. I think that comes down to the kind of person you are in life too. I like trying new things rather than just forming uninformed opinions about them. Others prefer to stick with what they know and thats perfectly acceptable. I've been a big fan of my Hankooks and I am a believer in their brand and hopeful with their future direction, others think they are korean garbage.

Last edited by idrive_MD; 07-21-2010 at 01:46 AM.