Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire Mounting Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang that's unfortunate. Hopefully he is able to help you out a bit more and get them all fixed!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

After shelling thousands to get my new wheels, I was not going to let anyone mishandle them. When I took them in for mounting, I called the manager and we both examined them to confirm they were mint. He gave them to his "best guy" and he stood there all the time till the job was done. He did a very impressive job
Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 AM
JSON

The manager called me today and said I had 2 options after talking to the regional VP.... either I pay to fix two of the wheels or he can file an insurance claim. But he 'warned' me that if the insurance adjuster comes out and says that the shop didn't do the damage, that I would get nothing. I said fine, have them come out and inspect my wheels, because I'm not going to pay for damages that I didn't cause. The fact that he's willing to try to deal with me tells me that he knows that it was dismounting/mounting damage, but won't admit to it out in the open. So we'll see where this goes.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:38 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, which discount tire location is this at in Houston.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 AM
JSON

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Just curious, which discount tire location is this at in Houston.
This was in Atlanta.... Kennesaw
Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn sucks. hope you get reimbursed.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
JSON

Wow.

Here are before pics that I found: http://imgur.com/a/zZg7O

And you've got to be joking me. Corporate said it wasn't their fault after their insurance guy came out to see them. Even though the insurance adjuster told me not to go back there again and said he definitely saw the damages.

Tire Mounting Damage?-c6qs1.jpg

Last edited by JSON; 07-30-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm not really surprised at the response from Discount Tire. Your wheels appear to be in terrible condition and some or most of the deterioration is not from the mounting machine. I don't doubt some small scratches were caused by the machine, but the overall condition of the wheel makes me think you need to have them refinished anyway. I would just bite the bullet and have them refinished.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM
JSON

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I'm not really surprised at the response from Discount Tire. Your wheels appear to be in terrible condition and some or most of the deterioration is not from the mounting machine. I don't doubt some small scratches were caused by the machine, but the overall condition of the wheel makes me think you need to have them refinished anyway. I would just bite the bullet and have them refinished.
Please don't use the fact that they have brake dust/are dirty because it rained for a month straight in Atlanta to say that they were in bad condition. Look at the before pics and compare the damage. Most of the scratches were from mounting/dismounting. I had one curb rash and maybe 4-5 paint imperfections.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 PM
JSON

Lol so months later. I had their insurance company come look at my wheels. The independent contractor told me he def saw the damages and told me not to go back to a place like that.

Weeks later, Discount Tire denied that they were responsible for the damages. I showed my pictures on their Facebook, and the manager started calling me. I returned the manager's call today after a week of having him call me multiple times (I expected some good news/I didn't have a chance to call back this past week).

He tells me that corporate told him to do whatever he wanted since the claims department said they weren't responsible (again, I dunno how they denied responsibility for this), and out of the generosity of his heart, he is still willing to pay $150 to fix two of my wheels if I pay for the other half. When I told him that this didn't seem fair, he almost hung up on me, until I said that I'd think about it.

Thanks Discount Tire of Kennesaw, GA! Enjoy your publicity! 40,000 views of people that won't do business with you because you were dishonest with me. Don't even care about my BBS's now.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
ericjackson

ive had a tire shop do the exact same damage, it wasnt from their machine, it was from the metal tool they use to "pry" the tire off the rim. they pry the lip up and hook the machine to it and rotate the wheel. ive seen that "tool" slide along wheels and take the paint right off.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Esser

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

This is why I had a signed paper stating that if my wheels were damaged in any way that Meineke would replace them!!

Always ask if there is a guarantee before they do that stuff. They should have reverse mounted it if that was a problem, at least it wouldn't be seen that way.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably my biggest pet peeve. this whole wheel damaging thing.