Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Need New Tires - Cooper Zeon RS3 A or Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 AM
rorad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New Tires - Cooper Zeon RS3 A or Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Folks, trying to decide just purchased 08 roadster. Found out the tires need to be replaced. The michelins sound great but wondering if I could save money and go with the coopers. Want good handling tires that are as quiet as possible. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Hankook V12 is a great tire, quiet and sticky
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Tread Depot
Vendor - Former Vendor

Both The Cooper Zeon RS3-A and the Michelin will give you what you're looking for, but you're kind of comparing oranges to tangerines. While these are both UHP tires, the Michelins are summer tires vs the Coopers are all-season. So ultimately the Michelin will out grip the Cooper, but the Cooper will give you longer tread life and light snow traction (if that's important). We sell plenty of both of these and have had no issues with either. So you're not going to go wrong either way, just ultimately boils down to what's more important for you in a tire.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 PM
rorad

Thanks folks for your assistance.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
neal@tirerack
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If looking for a dedicated summer tire, the Michelin is probably the best tire in its class right now. Very good dry traction, good ride for the class, tread life warranty even! I have not had one complaint on that tire yet.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 AM
JoeR

Default Run, run away very fast!

Brother, I can tell you from my own experience (and I'll never go there again) stay away, FAR away from the Coopers.

I have a 2004 Roadster that I purchased last July. After going through it mechanically (tune up, oil change) I brought it to my very trusted local tire shop and had 4 new Cooper Zeon's installed and 4 wheel alignment, as they were what was already on the car so I assumed I should stay with them.

Just at 10K miles later I'm installing another 2 new ones on the rear (stayed with the Cooper's thinking I could get some sort of warranty on them - THAT one apparently is a laugh to Cooper, they stiffed me for the entire replacemenet). I'm not a young man who beats on the thing thinking its cool because it can, I simply love the car and enjoy just driving it. I'm completely appauld at the lack of life to these tires after I spent $1,100.00 on all four (and the alignment).

I'm looking now towards something in a all season setup, does anyone have any suggestions on something that will last more that 4 months?

Joe

Last edited by JoeR; 02-14-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Please post piks of the wear on replaced tires? I work for a LARGE tire company and would love to see if you got stiffed or your bs. When companies take tire manufacturer claims age and driving habit can't be and won't be pre judged. Now maybe the company said to hell with you bc your a kid but idk waiting for piks
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 AM
JoeR

Here ya go!

They're still at my dealer's, he tried to get them to help but said "nope."

The biggest mistake I made was not purchasing them in the first place but having them replaced with the same ones (assuming they would be covered in some fashion).
Attached Thumbnails Need New Tires - Cooper Zeon RS3 A or Michelin Pilot Super Sport-wp_20130212_001.jpg   Need New Tires - Cooper Zeon RS3 A or Michelin Pilot Super Sport-wp_20130212_002.jpg   Need New Tires - Cooper Zeon RS3 A or Michelin Pilot Super Sport-wp_20130212_003.jpg  

Last edited by JoeR; 02-14-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Tread Depot
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JoeR
Here ya go!

They're still at my dealer's, he tried to get them to help but said "nope."

The biggest mistake I made was not purchasing them in the first place but having them replaced with the same ones (assuming they would be covered in some fashion).
Those are Zeon RS3-S correct?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM
JoeR

Originally Posted by Tread Depot
Those are Zeon RS3-S correct?
Yes. These were removed in December.

I should have gone with all weather (as I said I'm not pushing the car but I do live in the Northeast, they would be much better to have).

Last edited by JoeR; 02-14-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Tread Depot
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JoeR
Yes. These were removed in December.

I should have gone with all weather (as I said I'm not pushing it and living in the Northeast they'rre much better to have.
You would definitely get better life out of an A/S vs Summer. Not sure if you're Z is running staggered sizes or not, but if it is most manufacturers only warranty the rear tires for half the listed mileage warranty up to (usually) 20-25k miles. And it does vary based on manufacturer. Which, if that is the case here, these are 20k mile tires and you say you got 10k out of the rear so that would make sense and explain why they wouldn't warranty them. I'm not sticking up for them and I wasn't on the phone with your dealer and Cooper so I don't know what was said. Just trying to shed a little light on what the case might be. If you need help or have any questions on all-season tires feel free to give me a call and I'll be happy to take care of you.

Andrew
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
JoeR

Thanks Andrew.

These are staggerd, 225/45/18 fronts & 245/45/18 rears.

I appreciate the insight, is it possible for you to PM me?

Last edited by JoeR; 02-14-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM
JoeR

Default TSB from Class action lawsuit

Not sure if you've seen this, my wife just found it.

http://www.nissantireproblems.com/class-action.html

Scroll down and there's a Nissan TSB PDF there.

Joe
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Suwaidi

If you're looking for Summer tires, +1 on Pilot Super Sports. I've tried the PS2, PS3 and the PSS, and in order I like the PSS, PS2 then PS3 (PS2 are being phased out for the PSS).

On a side note, TireRack and DTD are running a Michelin rebate of $70 for another week.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 AM
JoeR

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
If you're looking for Summer tires, +1 on Pilot Super Sports. I've tried the PS2, PS3 and the PSS, and in order I like the PSS, PS2 then PS3 (PS2 are being phased out for the PSS).

On a side note, TireRack and DTD are running a Michelin rebate of $70 for another week.
Great info, thanks Suwaidi

Also, it is certainly worth noting here that I've been having quite a few conversations with Andrew of Tread Depot off of this forum. He has been truly helpful as well as offering guidence on which way I should proceed. All the time knowing that I'm already involved with a local tire dealer. You just can't ignore this type of assistance.

Last edited by JoeR; 02-15-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM
ModBargains
Vendor - Former Vendor

Look for the Hankook Ventus V12 , it's the best bang for the buck tires on the market right now,and thats why 75% of my customers go with the V12
Old 02-19-2013, 04:37 PM
ZDONZ

I agree.. try the Hankook V12. They are great on my roadster. The rears only last a year (aprox. 12,000 miles). The fronts Go about another 5 or 6 thousand miles. I drive hard, but I do not burn out. Corner hard and drive fast....my car is lowered 1" and I have the rear camber bolts. For the price these are really good tires.

Sumitomo HTR Z III are pretty good too. They were on my car when I got it and they we as good as the Hankook.

Just know it is a sports car and you will be replacing the tires much more than your average daily driver....my wife screams at when it is time to get tires...lol..and these are the cheaper tires.....she would have a heart attack if I bought really good tires....

Hell wait until you have to replace the top......ouch!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

right now nitto nt555 are the best value imo.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 AM
JoeR

Originally Posted by ZDONZ
I agree.. try the Hankook V12. They are great on my roadster. The rears only last a year (aprox. 12,000 miles). The fronts Go about another 5 or 6 thousand miles. I drive hard, but I do not burn out. Corner hard and drive fast....my car is lowered 1" and I have the rear camber bolts. For the price these are really good tires.

Sumitomo HTR Z III are pretty good too. They were on my car when I got it and they we as good as the Hankook.

Just know it is a sports car and you will be replacing the tires much more than your average daily driver....my wife screams at when it is time to get tires...lol..and these are the cheaper tires.....she would have a heart attack if I bought really good tires....

Hell wait until you have to replace the top......ouch!
Okay at the risk of being burnt at the stake for being off topic....

I actually bought it with a bad top and had it replaced. Purchased a Robbins brand off of eBay for $539 and then another $360 to have it installed (6 hours @ $60/hr). I had a $1,500 quote from another local guy.

I have two others in the yard that need tops too and will be going back to him (66 T-Bird and a 93 Mustang GT). If you can find a shop that will do T&M you'll save a LOT. Joe

Last edited by JoeR; 02-20-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 AM
JoeR

Just wanted to toss out an update.

Through Andrew, I replace the crap Coopers with Toyo Proxes (had them on my SHO too and liked them then). What a major difference. Now if only the fronts would wear out so I can have a matched set.

Major kudo's to Andrew & Treaddepot!

Joe

Quick Reply: Need New Tires - Cooper Zeon RS3 A or Michelin Pilot Super Sport