Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Volk GT7s and tire feathering

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 10:33 AM
YTsnave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volk GT7s and tire feathering

Hello everyone. I was just on the verge of ordering a nifty set of Volk GT7s gunmetals and (probably) Nitto NT555s when I became aware of the notorious feathering problem. I checked my Potenzas and sure enough.... My case though isn't especially acute ... I will probably get 12K miles out of the fronts. And I haven't begun my war with the dealer yet.

What has been the experience of those of you who have put on better wheels and tires. Are they being eaten up like the Potenzas? Am I going to have to be rotating out the front Nittos every 6,000 miles at $500 per pop?

As soon as I get this idea past my wife I'll probably buy the wheels anyway, but a word of comfort might help me sleep better.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:55 AM
350zSpeedRacer

The Potenzas are REALLY soft--treadwear of 140, where as the Eagle F1s I just bought have a treadwear of 280.

While this feathering seems to be a chromic problem on some Zs and not others, just remember that at least part of the problem is due to the OEM tires being so insanely soft.

What I'm going to do is get my car aligned at a performance shop to make sure it's set to where it's supposed to be, and basically hope for the best.

Good luck with yours, too.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:42 PM
elmer

Do you have the latest specs? Or does your alignment shop know them? How do I get a hold of them?

I want to take the Z to a reputable speed shop instead of the dealer.

Thanks,
Elmer.

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
The Potenzas are REALLY soft--treadwear of 140, where as the Eagle F1s I just bought have a treadwear of 280.

While this feathering seems to be a chromic problem on some Zs and not others, just remember that at least part of the problem is due to the OEM tires being so insanely soft.

What I'm going to do is get my car aligned at a performance shop to make sure it's set to where it's supposed to be, and basically hope for the best.

Good luck with yours, too.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by elmer
Do you have the latest specs? Or does your alignment shop know them? How do I get a hold of them?

I want to take the Z to a reputable speed shop instead of the dealer.

Thanks,
Elmer.
Prior to my alignment, I had zero luck finding any revised specs.

Just make sure your alignement shop has a HUNTER alignement machine. If not...then find another shop. If you are located in Southern Cal, I'd suggest Wheel Warehouse in Anaheim. PM me if you need more info
Old 01-25-2004, 02:12 PM
elmer

Thanks for the info on the Hunter alignment machine.

Unfortunately, I am in f'n Canada where its -30C here today. I wish I was in California.

I'll see if my performance shop has the Hunter though.

Thanks,
Elmer.