Go Back  MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion > 350Z Tech Area > Wheels & Tires
Reload this Page >

BACK TO BASICS: WHEEL OFFSET? (Pictorial Explanation for Offset Novices)

Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BACK TO BASICS: WHEEL OFFSET? (Pictorial Explanation for Offset Novices)

Old 11-17-2016, 12:10 PM
rizeld

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
Thanks.

If it helps just one person select the right setup for their car (or better yet...avoid getting the wrong one ) then it was worth writing.
Just made me wonder about my purchase, and if I need to correct my offset (and tires) for running at the track. so maybe 2 people now
Old 10-27-2017, 04:53 AM
Mark Santos

Default Wheels and what size I should go with??? Noob here.

Hello everyone. Not sure if this group/site is dead. I just joined and I see a ton of old post by years not days. ;-( ...... My question is this. I would like to know what size wheels I can go with for best fit and overall great (Fill the wheel well" tire and wheel? I see some have 2 size wheels front being smaller and rear larger. I am a Noob to all this and I am a Very new 350z owner and would also like to do the brake upgrade to the Brmbos. I think the G35 brakes are what ppl go with? Any and all help would be awesome.

Thank you guys.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:56 AM
travlee
Master

Thanked 5,846 Times in 4,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Santos View Post
Hello everyone. Not sure if this group/site is dead. I just joined and I see a ton of old post by years not days. ;-( ...... My question is this. I would like to know what size wheels I can go with for best fit and overall great (Fill the wheel well" tire and wheel? I see some have 2 size wheels front being smaller and rear larger. I am a Noob to all this and I am a Very new 350z owner and would also like to do the brake upgrade to the Brmbos. I think the G35 brakes are what ppl go with? Any and all help would be awesome.

Thank you guys.
been asked and answered a million times in the 14, almost 15, years the car has been out.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:20 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

18x9.5 +15 255/40/18 front
18x10.5 + 15 275/40/18 rear

You can thank me later.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:51 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanked 1,925 Times in 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Santos View Post

Thank you guys.
Originally Posted by dboyzalter View Post
18x9.5 +15 255/40/18 front
18x10.5 + 15 275/40/18 rear

You can thank me later.

^^^ As dboyzalter mentions, this is a go-to setup for a lot of people BUT.... if you drop the car, there's a < 90% probability you'll have to roll your rear fenders.

Reason there's not a lot of new stuff because not much in terms of "best fits" or "most recommended" parts and mods has changed. New brands here and there but there's a load of standbys.... all chronicled here over the years.

If you're looking for something (question, product, etc), just use Google using the " site:my350Z.com " operand at the end of your query to limit answers to this site. Better than using the search function on this site because Google can drill you down to the specific PAGE of answers rather than just to the thread, which can be hundreds of pages long....

-
Old 10-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Mark Santos

Thank you all very much. Just excited it's my first 350z. I am looking at the 370z now. She is a beautiful car as well.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Zenxia06

This thread is very informative, and packed full of knowledge... I see all the sizes that others have posted, like dboyzalter.
So I am understanding that a 15-20 offset offers better stability and handling, plus a more aggressive stance... my question is... Would 18x8.5 +20 w/ 245/40 front & 18x9.5 +20 w/ 275/40 Rear be a good fit to allow for a 1-2 inch drop without having to roll the fenders?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:05 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanked 1,086 Times in 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenxia06 View Post
This thread is very informative, and packed full of knowledge... I see all the sizes that others have posted, like dboyzalter.
So I am understanding that a 15-20 offset offers better stability and handling, plus a more aggressive stance... my question is... Would 18x8.5 +20 w/ 245/40 front & 18x9.5 +20 w/ 275/40 Rear be a good fit to allow for a 1-2 inch drop without having to roll the fenders?
will be pretty weak looking , but if thatís the goal it will work.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post

^^^ This.

IMO, better fit (without any body mods) would be at least a 9"/10" combination with offsets in low-mid 20s to be safe. But popular 8.5/9.5 +20-plus is fine. I never HAD to roll until I put on a set of 9.5 +15 square RPF1s.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 AM
Zenxia06

Can you be more specific? Would going 9" on front rims, and 10" on on the rear rims would be a better choice?
I am just getting some ideas and info before dropping a $1000-$1500 for some new rims and tires. I am trying to get a good combo for daily driving and some weekend drifts at the local track.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:44 AM
Zenxia06

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
^^^ This.

IMO, better fit (without any body mods) would be at least a 9"/10" combination with offsets in low-mid 20s to be safe. But popular 8.5/9.5 +20-plus is fine. I never HAD to roll until I put on a set of 9.5 +15 square RPF1s.
Thank you for your input. Would this be a decent setup for dialy and playing on the drift track?
If the combo will work, then it narrows down what size rims and tires to look for, and gets the easy part out of the way...lol
Now to go on the search for a shoe style that my lady will like.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanked 1,086 Times in 797 Posts

Can you be more specific? Would going 9" on front rims, and 10" on on the rear rims would be a better choice?
I am just getting some ideas and info before dropping a $1000-$1500 for some new rims and tires. I am trying to get a good combo for daily driving and some weekend drifts at the local track.
9 and 10 combo, really depends on the offset, but Iíll but itís a much better setup. Hell, run 10 and 10 depending on the offset.

The offset and width determine how far flush the wheels sit.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Zenxia06

9 and 10 combo, really depends on the offset, but Iíll but itís a much better setup. Hell, run 10 and 10 depending on the offset.

The offset and width determine how far flush the wheels sit.
I lke the look of the staggered rims, and after reading ths thread... I am liking the +20 offset idea. I only want to lower my car 1-2 inches, and where I live really can't get any lower without damaging something, due to the bads roads, and don't want to get into the fender rolling just yet...lol Does that seem like a good set-up for daily driving with the occassional weekend drift / drag fun?
Old 08-21-2018, 10:59 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I lke the look of the staggered rims, and after reading ths thread... I am liking the +20 offset idea. I only want to lower my car 1-2 inches, and where I live really can't get any lower without damaging something, due to the bads roads, and don't want to get into the fender rolling just yet...lol Does that seem like a good set-up for daily driving with the occassional weekend drift / drag fun?
Let's clear something up here.... you say "I only want to lower my car 1-2 inches".

"Only" is not a good word here. 1" is "moderate lowering" and 2" is "very low". And, there's an order of magnitude difference between 1" and 2" in terms of ride quality and what you may/will need to align the car. Lowering 1" MAY mean you need adjustable alignment gear (recommended anyways) and 2" means your camber and toe will be so out of whack your "Z will feel like driving a John Deere" and therefore the $500+ adjustable camber arms, offset bolt, FUCAs will be mandatory.

As was stated, +20 is good or bad depending on wheel width. You have to play with offsets using your favorite wheel calculator (here: https://my350z.com/forum/tire_rim_calculator.php OR elsewhere for anyone else's favorite) then make the determination of what you should get.

I just spent 2 minutes on the calculator to see what I'm up against with a new set of wheels comparing to my already known "nice setup" and determining how my new wheels will fit vis a vis my "nice setup" or whether I'll need spacers. (Whew, I get to run them natural owing to changes in width AND countering offset! But that's for another thread...)

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-21-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: