Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wider rims same offset same tyre changes alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:27 PM
Zkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wider rims same offset same tyre changes alignment?

G'day, I'm looking to replace beat up 2005 Touring 18's with 18x8.5 and the standard tyre sizes 225/45, 245/45 are within the margins for 8.5" rims. I understand that keeping the same 30p retains the scrub radius but for the tyre not riding quite as high on a wider rim. The extra rim width will be inconsequential to the clearances. That suits me fine. Should I ask for the standard wheel alignment?

More info that may be influential.
I have not owned it very long. I am no race driver but I drive faster than most, on the highways of NZ which are quite twisty in many places.

A previous owner flipped a tyre which was very worn on the outer corner. It escaped my notice when I picked up the car in the rain.

Driving it handles well enough. Pushing it too hard gets into understeer. That's a safe condition I think.

Plan is to quickly junk the mismatched fronts ( one asymmetric inside out ffs! ) and replace with non directional symmetrical tyres which can stand the feathering until I get it dialed out. Looking at Hankook Optimo which wear well on my Camry and conveniently come in 225/45. Then get new rims.

​​​​​​​Have I missed anything?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Zkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been suggested there is a sharper handling front to be gained from reduced offset. I am not planning any suspension changes or bigfat wheels so I wonder if there's any benefit with 8.5" rims.

Does the sharper turn in make it more prone to snap oversteer?