Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

help with spacers

Old 11-30-2017, 06:28 PM
chiknhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with spacers

I am currently running a set of wheels from my other car and the specs are not meant for a z. The wheels are KMC Maze 245/35/20 +40offset all around. After installing them I noticed that they were way tucked in. I did not feel like buying a whole new set of wheels as the tires are still relatively new, so I might just use these until the tires are worn and see afterwards if I do want to drop money into whole new wheels. My suspensions are stock with no fender rolls and I don't plan on lowering my car.I did get bolt on spacers bolt centric on the rear 25mm. The rear seems to sit pretty flush now but the front cant fit that same size wheel spacers. I did purchase 10mm wheel spacers with extended lugs from Z1 motorsports and plan on install sometimes next week. I asked one of my friend if he can help me with changing out the studs and he was hesitant since there was a safety issue. He seem to think the spacers would snap. I was not sure how he came with this conclusion but now it got me thinking. Any ideas? I am pretty new with modifying cars and when it comes to safety, I don't want to take the risk if it's not safe for me. Any suggestions?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:57 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by chiknhawk
I am currently running a set of wheels from my other car and the specs are not meant for a z. The wheels are KMC Maze 245/35/20 +40offset all around. After installing them I noticed that they were way tucked in. I did not feel like buying a whole new set of wheels as the tires are still relatively new, so I might just use these until the tires are worn and see afterwards if I do want to drop money into whole new wheels. My suspensions are stock with no fender rolls and I don't plan on lowering my car.I did get bolt on spacers bolt centric on the rear 25mm. The rear seems to sit pretty flush now but the front cant fit that same size wheel spacers. I did purchase 10mm wheel spacers with extended lugs from Z1 motorsports and plan on install sometimes next week. I asked one of my friend if he can help me with changing out the studs and he was hesitant since there was a safety issue. He seem to think the spacers would snap. I was not sure how he came with this conclusion but now it got me thinking. Any ideas? I am pretty new with modifying cars and when it comes to safety, I don't want to take the risk if it's not safe for me. Any suggestions?
Why are you changing out the studs?

I'm presuming you got slip on spacers with no studs, thereby requiring longer studs on the hub.

OK, before anyone can give you any guidance, please specify the front and rear wheel widths. 40mm offset tells only part of the story.

But, as a general note, if the fronts are UP TO 9.5" wide, with those offsets, you can use up to a 25mm spacer (yielding a 15mm effective offset) but with a preference for around 15mm-20mm spacers; which would yield a 25mm and 20mm effective offset, respectively.

You should take all of your measurements/specs and plug them in here:

https://my350z.com/forum/tire_rim_calculator.php

This will give you exactly what you need in terms of what size spacer you can use given the wheels you have.

S'far as changing out the studs, the process is pretty simple.

https://www.google.com/search?q=repl...ient=firefox-b

And no, the spacers won't snap due to longer studs...if anything, it's safer and wiser to use spacers on the right/correct length (in this case longer) studs rather than short ones where the lugs will have no purchase on the stud.

Besides which, slip on spacers are not a loaded component, unlike spacers WITH studs built in - which have effectively 10 points of potential failure: 5 lugs between spacer and hub studs and 5 lugs between the spacer studs and the wheels. All of which can shear, unlike the spacer that's sandwiched between the wheel and hub.

Search this Thread