Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Not happy with wheel gap w/ 19" volk gtc's

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 04:13 PM
FB-350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the eibach pro-kit;
lowers the car something like .8" front and 1.2" rear
alot of people here have them on their Z's....
i've got mine sitting in a box in my living room - just waiting for some other goodies before they go on....
Old 03-09-2004, 09:11 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look below and you will see how 19's look on Eibachs.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:53 AM
DM350Z

So, everyone else says there gap wasnt as bad, does the performance z have a different suspension than the track or touring?

-Dave
Old 03-11-2004, 03:14 AM
lowrider

Suspension is the same across all lines. The track (in stock trim) handles a little due to it's lighter wheels.

Lou
Old 03-11-2004, 07:32 AM
dnguyent

Originally posted by DM350Z
So, everyone else says there gap wasnt as bad, does the performance z have a different suspension than the track or touring?

-Dave
Dave,
Did you not read my post?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:43 AM
IndyZCar

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I may be wrong, but I think the ride height between a 2004 Roadster and a 2003 Coupe are different. That may contribute to the view that the Roadster gap is less. It looks less on my Roadster as well. I "thought" that the Roadster suspension was a little different to keep the rear end planted and eliminate the bounce problem.

Then again, I may be completely off base.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:17 AM
dnguyent

The ride height could very well be around 1/8" lower for the roadster if you have the same spring rates as the coupe (that's the assumption I'm making). I'm assuming around 350lbs/in for each spring, and I'm guessing the roadster is around 200 lbs heavier than the coupe, that would make your car sit 1/8" lower.

If you don't experience as much bounce in the roadster as the coupe, that may be attributed to additional weight of the roadster. Try putting a 200lb passenger in the coupe, and it should ride about the same as the roadster.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:29 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by IndyZCar
I may be wrong, but I think the ride height between a 2004 Roadster and a 2003 Coupe are different. That may contribute to the view that the Roadster gap is less. It looks less on my Roadster as well. I "thought" that the Roadster suspension was a little different to keep the rear end planted and eliminate the bounce problem.

Then again, I may be completely off base.
I think you are off base, what people are forgetting is that springs have different tolerances and are NOT exactly alike. I had a civic that had 1/2" diff on the R vs L side. It isn't uncommon. I just happen to get lucky with my Z, as it seems to be a bit lower.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:02 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok, lets go over the basics again. Wheel gap should be exactly the same because the outside rolling diameter of the tire has to reamin the correct size to work. The quick answer is found by using this tool within this link:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I strongly suggest you read the wheel and tire section on the this thread. There are issues related to wheel/tire size that need to be addresssed in addition to wheel gap and looks and these are addressed in this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=50429

Good luck and hope you are happy with the tire/wheels set up.

Jeff - zland
Old 03-11-2004, 05:14 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

The bottom line is 17" wheels have a large tire side wall and less Alum wheel, 19" wheels have a larger alum. wheel with a smaller tire side wall but both have the same outside diameter of the tire to maintain ABS etc.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:20 AM
BoostTed

DM350Z i have the same wheels, same size and same increased gap as you have. It just motivated me to get suspension quicker.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:32 AM
DM350Z

OK< is the gap difference going to be more if I :

A - Get some 35 series tires for the back, OR

B - Keep the 275-30-19's on the back, and just use an eibach kit to lower the car about an 1".

Thanks!

-Dave

PS - Is everyone agreed, or partial as to wether the VDC starts getting irratic after using 30 series on the back?
Old 03-13-2004, 08:47 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Dave:

Why do you have to ask the above question? I gave a webpage above to go to to determine tire size thus you can figure it out on your own. Do the math, use the webpage, then you will know instead of asking others to do it for you. Ouside diameter of tire will determine the size gap end of statement.

Dont get hung up on 30 or 35 series. #30 series simply means 30% of tire width so a 30 series in a 275 tire is not as tall as a 30 series 295 for example. FYI, eibach lowers the rear 1.2" and ft .8". If you figure out the outside tire diameter and figure out the drop size, you will see how much of a reduction in fender gap you will have. This is all simple math and you got a webapge that even does it for you.

Get the tire you want for looks and performance, then lower it if you like. I am kind of frustrated when I gave the answer then you ignored it and start asking the same question again. Is it you dont undertand how to figure it out or you did not read it or are you lazy? I am sorry to be this blunt but if you dont want an answer, dont ask the question.

Jeff - zland

Last edited by zland; 03-13-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:09 PM
DM350Z

Hey zland! I was asking as a general question from the standpoint of other guys with this setup, not asking anyone to do the math for me. Let it go! You are looking to deep into the matter, but thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:07 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

your welcome, good luck...Jeff
Old 03-14-2004, 03:23 AM
Splurt

Default S tune?

If you are worried about warranty stuff with your suspension, have you given any thought of getting the Nismo S-tune suspension? If installed at the dealership ur warranty would remain the same and you get all the benefits of the S-tune suspension. I got the S-tune before I got my new wheels but I believe they did drop my car about 3/4" infront and I forgot how much in back. Here's a picture of my car on s-tune suspension. I have same widths except the 35 series tire in back.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:01 PM
peterhong

Wanted to add my 2 cents to this issue. I think your gap might seem bigger than the Roadster, because the Roadster is a little heavier on the bottom to compensate for the lack of a top, therefore it might give it a little more drop. Also, if you just mounted the rim/tire, your springs might not have settled fully making it seem like the gap was a little bigger than it should be.

Also, I think that when you put a bigger rim/tire you should always lower your car (at least a little) otherwise it looks real funny. On the same hand, I think it looks ridiculous when you lower your car with stock rim/tire combo. Just my opinion.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:08 AM
DM350Z

So a tein flex coilover kit, would be just as safe and ride worthy as an eibach 1" kit? (Given I only lower the car about an inch or inch and a half with the tein). How much am I looking to pay for the eibachs, and how much for the teins?

ALSO, In the past I have heard terrible things about coilovers, that they destroy other stock suspension parts because of the excessive wear they impose.

Let me know guys that have some experience in this issue.

-Dave

dm350z@msn.com
Old 03-21-2004, 05:32 PM
myz8a4re

350steve, what tire sizes are you running? im sure your look compared to dm350z's has more to do with tire size. also, everyone keeps referring to their drop springs as just eibachs! are they the rpokit or the sports? one is progressive & the other has a single linear rate & the drop difference is steeper with the linear rate. wich do you have, your stance looks perfect! beautiful even stance, im curious to hear your tire sizes. are they 245/35 & 275/35's? thanx for the input....
-justin
Old 03-23-2004, 02:39 PM
rogerudc

Hey DM350Z,

Not to sound redundant here, but your wheel gap is noticeably larger than mine with the same wheel/tire size.

Also, the following is a superior link IMO as opposed to the one zland left regarding tire size calculators:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

I plan on upgrading suspension ASAP to resolve this, I think you should do the same. Dont worry about the eibach springs messing up your new ride

Quick Reply: Not happy with wheel gap w/ 19" volk gtc's