Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Track Vs Nismo Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 08:01 PM
NzZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Vs Nismo Rims

Hey folks,

I had a quick question. I've seen sets of track rims selling for around $1600 for a perfect brand-new set (without tires) or $1600 for a set with 10k miles (ie useless tires). My question is this: When you can get the Nismos for $1800 or so...why bother buying the track rims?

The Nismo rims are new...and they have a warranty...

So why pay $1600 for track rims? (aside from looks). Do the stock tires fit the nismos? Do the nismos work with the TPS? Are the Nismos heavier? I just don't get why nissan doesn't offer the track rims as it does the nismos.

Thanks,
NzZ
Old 05-06-2004, 09:48 PM
GY-Z

Default Re: Track Vs Nismo Rims

Originally posted by NzZ
Hey folks,

I had a quick question. I've seen sets of track rims selling for around $1600 for a perfect brand-new set (without tires) or $1600 for a set with 10k miles (ie useless tires). My question is this: When you can get the Nismos for $1800 or so...why bother buying the track rims?

The Nismo rims are new...and they have a warranty...

So why pay $1600 for track rims? (aside from looks). Do the stock tires fit the nismos? Do the nismos work with the TPS? Are the Nismos heavier? I just don't get why nissan doesn't offer the track rims as it does the nismos.

Thanks,
NzZ
you'll have to pay extra for the tire.
i dont think u can squeeze stock tire on the nismo rims.
nismo rims are 8.5F and 9.5R
and yes, the nismo rims are a little bite heavier.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:39 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

Default Re: Re: Track Vs Nismo Rims

Originally posted by GY-Z

and yes, the nismo rims are a little bite heavier.
the Nismo 18" are 18 and 18.5 lbs F and R. i thought the track wheels were the same or heavier...no?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:48 AM
isugoo

usually track wheels on that price comes with wheels, tires and tps. and nismos are not.

yes, nismos are heavier because its WIDER.
it works with tps with no problem.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:16 AM
BrickydZ

IMO opinion many people dont want to go aftermarket or Nismos.
Many people like the 6 spoke look and would rather have the Track Rays than Nismos.

Many people who have Performance or Touring models would like the upgrade. Makes them look like a Track from afar.

GY-Z: the Nismos are about a pound less than the stock rays but after your put more rubber on them they probably are about even.

As for the cost of Nismo $1800.00 plus shipping, plus mount and balance. Plus the stock tire will fit but if you have VDC you have to get bigger tires Frt 245/40-18 RR 275/40/18. Goodyear F1 cost $1100.00 for the set of 4 installed.

Some people would choose to upgrade to Track for $1600.00 possibly get a set of tires with them, maybe TPS, without having to shell out the money for new rubber liek wiht the Nismos.

As a matter of fact I too will be joining the Nismo 18 club in a week or so, and I will have a set of Track Rays for sale.

Whoever buys mine will get a brand new set of stock potenzas on the front(less than 100 miles) courtesy of Nissan Tire TSB.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by BrickydZ; 05-07-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:24 AM
GY-Z

Originally posted by BrickydZ
IMO opinion many people dont want to go aftermarket or Nismos.
Many people like the 6 spoke look and would rather have the Track Rays than Nismos.

Many people who have Performance or Touring models would like the upgrade. Makes them look like a Track from afar.

GY-Z: the Nismos are about a pound less than the stock rays but after your put more rubber on them they probably are about even.

As for the cost of Nismo $1800.00 plus shipping, plus mount and balance. Plus the stock tire will fit but if you have VDC you have to get bigger tires Frt 245/40-18 RR 275/40/18. Goodyear F1 cost $1100.00 for the set of 4 installed.

Some people would choose to upgrade to Track for $1600.00 possibly get a set of tires with them, maybe TPS, without having to shell out the money for new rubber liek wiht the Nismos.

As a matter of fact I too will be joining the Nismo 18 club in a week or so, and I will have a set of Track Rays for sale.

Whoever buys mine will get a brand new set of stock potenzas on the front(less than 100 miles) courtesy of Nissan Tire TSB.

I hope this helps.
i dont think the stock track wheels are anywhere heavier then nismo.
some one can back me up?
ur track wheels have a great price by the way!
Old 05-07-2004, 02:58 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Track Vs Nismo Rims

Originally posted by NzZ
Hey folks, I had a quick question. I've seen sets of track rims selling for around $1600 for a perfect brand-new set (without tires) or $1600 for a set with 10k miles (ie useless tires). My question is this: When you can get the Nismos for $1800 or so...why bother buying the track rims?
Because some people want Ray's Track wheels. To buy them over the counter brand new at a Nissan dealer is $600+ each! They are unique because they are not a factory option in the US and come only with Track model cars.

So why pay $1600 for track rims? (aside from looks).
Because that is cheaper than $2500-2600!

Do the stock tires fit the nismos?
Stock tires will fit the Nismos, but are not recommended. The stock size tire must be stretched width-wise to fit the slightly wider rims of the Nismo wheel. It obviates the advantage of a rim protection bead on most tires such as the Michelin PS or POS, er, I mean Bridgestone RE040s.

Do the nismos work with the TPS?
Yes - the Nismos work just fine with the TPS! (see pic below)

Are the Nismos heavier?
The Nismos are one half inch wider in front and one inch wider in back than the Ray's track wheels. That translates into each Nismo wheel weighing MORE than the Ray's Track wheel. The actual difference is a little less than a pound, which is a tribute to the forged construction of the Nismo wheel.

I just don't get why Nissan doesn't offer the track rims as it does the nismos.
Simple - it makes the purchase and appeal of the most expensive Track model 350Z that much more special and exclusive (to some buyers at least!). This is the NNA US marketing strategy. In Japan, the Ray's wheels ARE offered over the counter as a factory option on any model 350Z.
Attached Thumbnails Track Vs Nismo Rims-tps6.jpg  
Old 05-10-2004, 06:03 PM
wick3d350Z

i just ordered my nismo wheels because i have the touring.....from what i hear the nismo front is 17 pounds and the rear is 18.5....their wider and weigh less on front and not much more on back than the track wheels

Last edited by wick3d350Z; 05-10-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:15 PM
NzZ

Default Thanks for the responses guys.

You know, I had my heart set on those nismo wheels...then someone pointed out the extra holes...and somehow...the wheels have never looked as good to me since. I love the spokes..LOVE the spokes..but those damn holes...

The track wheels are sweet too...but there is no way in hell I'm paying $1600 for a set of used Tracks...which is apparently the market value. To me, the Nismos would be well worth the few extra hundred (esp b/c they're brand new)...but...the Nismos those damn holes ahhh!

Life is too difficult. I'm sticking with my stock touring 18s for now. Just as well, b/c I'd probably curb new rims the day I got 'em. Sorry to have been a pain in the a$$.

NzZ
Old 05-10-2004, 09:13 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought I read somewhere LMGT4's are a couple LBS lighter thatn stock track wheels. I hafta look for that article....

Besides, track wheels tuck inside the fender while LMGT4's are more flush with the fender which make them look more aggressive.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:18 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Okay... my bad. nismo's are slightly heavier.

nismo LM-GT4
8.2kg (f)
8.6kg (r)

Rays' Track wheels
8.1kg (f)
8.3kg (r)
Old 05-11-2004, 04:14 AM
ChinaClipper

Default Similar wheels with different design hubs.

Originally posted by NzZ
You know, I had my heart set on those nismo wheels...then someone pointed out the extra holes...and somehow...the wheels have never looked as good to me since. I love the spokes..LOVE the spokes..but those damn holes...
NzZ
Go to tirerack.com and take a look at the Kazera KZ-A wheel.....
Old 05-11-2004, 06:11 AM
wick3d350Z

Default Re: Similar wheels with different design hubs.

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
Go to tirerack.com and take a look at the Kazera KZ-A wheel.....

I rather stick with the real thing....never go replica
Old 05-11-2004, 03:56 PM
ChinaClipper

Default Re: Re: Similar wheels with different design hubs.

Originally posted by wick3d350Z
I rather stick with the real thing....never go replica
I am with you Wicked, but NzZ stated he did not like the hole pattern on the "real thing", so I offered him an alternative to look at! (To each their own - I know where you stand!)
Old 05-13-2004, 12:46 AM
pyroteknix

Which is exactly what I'm doing.
They just came into stock, in Japan and should be with me in 3 weeks.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:06 AM
ChinaClipper

Originally posted by mc350z
<snip>. and from my understanding the nismos even though they are wider they are 1 pound lighter each than the tracks i dunno i thought i read that on this forum

<snip>
mc350Z, this is NOT true! The numbers posted by SHO-TIME above are correct - the wider Nismos are a tick heavier, but by less than one pound each per wheel!

Quick Reply: Track Vs Nismo Rims