Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

New Tires, Nitto 555 245/40 & 275/40

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 07:55 AM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires, Nitto 555 245/40 & 275/40

I ended up getting my Nitto 555 Fron 245/40 and Rear 275/40.

Nitto Website for my Specific Tires

I got the street compund for durability, and I just came off Big Willow and they did VERY well.

I got my tires here at Chatsworth Tire, Check them out, good prices, great service, ask for Bob and tell them Joe with the Blue 350 Track Z sentchya, I've been dealing with them and the owner for years

Yes, they do let the rear out more than I would like, and if I didn't run VDC through nasty turns I would more than likely NOT toelrate it at all, however the rest of the time these tires rock once they are at "temperature" and "desired pressure"

Now I need the suspension configuration to keep up with these tires.

I will now "play" with them on the street/highway and see how they do there.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:28 AM
georgiaboy
Banned

how much did u pay for them?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:34 AM
alpine

Default new input on these tires

I didn't get a chance to post some of my experiences with these tires.

I have not had a single issue with these tires on Street under any conditions.

They have done everything I have asked of them.

Now track has been a different story

Took them out on Big Willow, they held up great ALL DAY. I had great track times, no "off track" experiences, and I was high speed all day, hard braking, full acceleration, and it was hot out that day on top of it all.

I just got off buttonwillow, configuration #13, counter clockwise.

They heated up on the second session, and I went off track 2 times, in that session, under "unexpected" moments.

For the second session I did lower the pressure in the tires to 35, and within 2 laps I was back to 48/49lbs under "moderate" and NOT hard driving.

After the first spill, lowered them down to 40 (as they were still hot) and again in 2 laps I was back to near 50 and spilled off track again.

So I think this is coming down to the Nitto 555 series, street compound, does NOT hold up under track conditions with more technical turns.

They were "greasy" from the 2nd session on out. in my 3rd session under less than "moderate" driving they were "ok".

I'm certain if someone could drive "the line" they would have been "ok".

Any recommendations out there for race tires?

thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 01:21 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50LBS of tire pressure in 2 laps!

What width rims are you putting those tires on? If stock, even track rims, I'd say they are too large.

I check my pressures on my Kumho MX's immediately after a session, and anything above 42 LBS is not good, nor is anything less than 40 PSI. Both from a seat of the pants feel and having tread temps checked with a friends fancy laser temp guage, this pressure range seems best for MY tires.

As for R comp recommendations........Advans or Cup Sports are on my wish list.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:58 PM
alpine

Originally posted by EnthuZ
50LBS of tire pressure in 2 laps!

What width rims are you putting those tires on? If stock, even track rims, I'd say they are too large.

I check my pressures on my Kumho MX's immediately after a session, and anything above 42 LBS is not good, nor is anything less than 40 PSI. Both from a seat of the pants feel and having tread temps checked with a friends fancy laser temp guage, this pressure range seems best for MY tires.

As for R comp recommendations........Advans or Cup Sports are on my wish list.
These tires seemed to perform very well around/just under the 45 mark. Going over seems to make them too hard and then of course less grip.

Typically I was experiencing 5/6 degree increases during a session, and what I was experiencing that day was 10+ !

yea I'd like to check tire temp too, it's only $100.00 for one of those laser temp gauges the A/C guys use.

I have to check the exact measurements on my wheels/tire cause I got a bunch of messages from people telling me to take that into account.

So I'll get to meauring shortly.

Joe