Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Apples & Oranges

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 08:55 AM
lawnmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apples & Oranges

I have been reading this section for 4 or 5 months now,specially the "The Konis are here!!!!!",and yet I can't honestly draw any conclusions because no one seems to bother indicating their model year and since 03 and most 04 suspentions are different"Or so I conclude" I can't decide wheather I would benefit,ride wise,by switching to the Konis and or progressive springs or not.I have an '04,Touring, build date mid Nov '03.I have 18'wheels,Mitchelin Pilot Sports, 4000mi and NO tire issues.I have driven an 03 with 17' wheels and stock tires and Konis,and the difference in ride quality was very minor,Konis aren't cheap. Adding inflatable lumbar supports, to the seat backs, actually made as much or more improvement to me.I think half of the poor ride quality is due to the seat bottoms which, ergonomicly, are a piece of crap.One would think when you buy a car model designated as "Touring",this would imply some degree of long trip ride comfort,and by the same token a "Performance or Track" model by definition would ride accordingly.I feel a little better getting this off my chest here, however I have come to value the many "thoughtful" responses on this forum and I hope those of you out there will share your thoughts with me on these matters.
THANKS
Old 05-23-2004, 09:02 AM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My touring seats were perfect on my 7hr trip to the O.C. I found them supportive and did not have any numbness. I normally rent a car to drive to Sacramento for contract work. Each American car I have rented starts to get uncomfortable at 2hrs. The Z seats do not fatigue me because of the additional lateral support. I find myself all over American sedan driver seats. Just my .02
Old 05-23-2004, 09:21 AM
georgiaboy
Banned

any pics?
Old 05-23-2004, 12:26 PM
lawnmore

Default Seats

Originally posted by shortcut3d
My touring seats were perfect on my 7hr trip to the O.C. I found them supportive and did not have any numbness. I normally rent a car to drive to Sacramento for contract work. Each American car I have rented starts to get uncomfortable at 2hrs. The Z seats do not fatigue me because of the additional lateral support. I find myself all over American sedan driver seats. Just my .02
I agree, open highways are usually OK, especially asphalt.I have driven I5.As long as you stay out of the truck lane it's OK, as is mostly concrete I40 to Arizona.And I really wasn't suggesting a comparison of American sedan seat to a sports car seat. The issue is big city i.e. L.A. freeways,where in daily driving, the seat bottom does nothing to tune out the bouncy ride of the stock suspention. By the way, I notice your suspention is not stock. Do you think this has something to do with your satisfaction with your ride.Would appreciate your impressions. Thanks for your .02
Old 05-24-2004, 02:30 PM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove a mere 1200mi around LA once I arrived. (Really bad traffic down there.) At the time, I had stock suspension. The ride was okay and my girlfriend did not complain either. Remember, I am driving an 04, so the bounce is not as pronounced as the 03.

After switching to the Nismo S-tune suspension I am very happy with the ride. The suspension is much more taunt and lowers the car perfectly. I choose my words carefully (taunt) because the car does not feel stiffer or rough. The most noticeable difference in ride quality was the sound of freeway seam joints and poorly conditioned roads. The S-tune suspension reacts on only the wheel that is taking the impact and makes less noise. In fact, the noise from bumps is significantly reduced and the car does not sound like it is cracking apart. The Z now rides like a 35K car. This should have been the factory suspension period.

I LOVE MY S-TUNE 350!