Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Opinions/Comment on Lip Size (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 07:45 AM
bwzabodyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions/Comment on Lip Size (long)

Hey guys/gals,

I was hoping I could get some input on my choice of wheels for my G coupe - I have pretty much decided that I want Volks - 19x9.5 front, 10.5 rear - but not decided yet on the model or offsets - I really like the look of the GT-C's with the face2 all the way around, but the SF-winnings have been one of my favorite wheels since they were released (I love mesh wheels) - here's my dilemma (kinda technical):

For each of the wheels, I know what offset I want for the rear:
GT-C 10.5 +24 ----> 87mm Lip = 3.42" Lip
SF-W 10.5 +29 ----> 80 mm Lip = 3.15" Lip

The problem is that with the 9.5" front, I can either get an offset/disk pad that will clear big brakes with a smaller lip, or a setup that will not clear with a bigger lip:
GT-C 9.5 +23 (BBK) ---> 62 mm Lip = 2.44" Lip
GT-C 9.5 +24 (non BBK) ---> 74 mm Lip = 2.91" Lip
SF-W 9.5 +32 (BBK) ---> 55 mm Lip = 2.17" Lip
SF-W 9.5 +29 (non BBK) ---> 67 mm Lip = 2.64" Lip

**the non BBK setups are basically the rear wheel from the 8.5/9.5 setup put in the front

So you can see there are a lot of choices... there is basically three big decisions I need to make:

1) Which wheel style do I prefer more?
2) Do I want to go with a more aggressive offset (GTC) or a more conservative offset (SFW)?
3) Do I want the lip sizes to be more staggered (bigger difference between front and rear) or closer to the same size?

I know that this is probably a lot of info to digest, but I just want to make sure I'm going to get the setup that is perfect for me...

I'm leaning more towards the Winnings, but I still don't know if I should go with the bigger lip in the front or the BBK clearance (12 mm difference in lip size = ~0.5")... So, what do you guys think?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:22 AM
jester7500

Because the SF Winnings have been your favorite since they were released (and because you love mesh wheels), I say go with your heart and get them. I was in the same situation where I wanted the SF Challenges the first time I saw them. Then I considered getting the Winnings for a short time, but ultimately decided on the Challenges. I could not be happier with my choice.

As far as the lips go, if you are going to get a BBK soon after you get your wheels, you might as well get the +32. A BBK behind your wheels will make up for the smaller lip.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:35 AM
bwzabodyn

I think you're right - I'm definitely going with the SF-winnings, it's just a matter of what front wheel I want to go with - I don't think I'm ever going to go with a BBK, but even if I do I think Wilwoods would still fit behind the 9.5 +29 front - I just need to look at more pics to see if I want that big of a lip in the front...