Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Malice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Hi, I just wanted to say that Ive always loved the 350z's styling since it came out in 2003. And this is a great online community, one of the better ones Ive seen.

I wanted to ask your guys opinion about my current situation. I have a 99 Mercury Cougar that I bought when I was 16, pretty much had it paid for from cash that I earned from when I was 14-16 working at the local A&W. I never spent a paycheck from 14-16, it all went in the bank until I got my car. I put 18" wheels, dual exhaust, sidemarkers, and some various other mods. Well, currently I am a manager at Culvers, and am going to school for a BA in comp networking and security.

I will have more than half of my schooling paid for by this November(Parents arent helping, they give me a roof over my head, which is more than enough). That means, all I will have to worry about is student loans 6 mos from when I graduate (Fall 2008). These student loans wont be much, and I will be making quite a bit more than I am at the moment.

What I want to do, is sell my car and get $6-8,000. And buy a 03 350z for around 17-18k(cheapest ive seen them). Hopefully, I could get one with around 40-60k miles. Does this sound realistic?

Do you think I could afford it? Currently, my car ins is about $75/month, and my car is paid for. I live at home, which is very convenient, especially because I have nice parents. What I am afraid of, is that my car is going to go down in value, and I wont be able to get anything for it.

Well, what I am trying to ask, is what would you do?

Option 1:
Sell the cougar and buy a 350z.
Option 2:
Wait a year, rack up some more miles on the cougar, and get a 2003 z for about $15000 around summer of next year.
Option 3:
Try to keep the cougar running until I graduate, keep saving, and try and buy a brand new Z when I graduate.

Or let me know of something else I should do...

!!!Mods - If this belongs in Buying/Leasing, I apologize, I did not know where to put it.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:32 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Consider the following:

1. The 350Z is a poor choice for a daily driver in a snowbelt state. I assume that Wisconsin gets some serious snow storms.

2. Call your agent and ask about the cost of insurance.

3. Whatever you currently budget for routine maintenance and repairs, triple it. Tires are about $800/4. A simple fix such as replacing a window motor can set you back a couple of hundred dollars.

There is a status called car poor: a car costs so much money that you have little left over for anything else. Its cool to drive a 350Z. It is not cool to be broke.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Malice

Thanks for your input. I guess I am just getting a little tired of my car, its awfully slow, and it doesnt get the looks that it used to, being a 7 year old car now. My Cougar is pretty slow, being that the auto trans in the cougar is horrible compared to one in say, a 350z. The manual cougars do 2 seconds faster in the quarter mile. I could buy a manual cougar.. I would have a head start on mods, and it would be a bit faster, also giving me some more experience with a manual. But, Ive pretty much ruled out every other car available, I just cant get my mind off a 350z.

Some of the other options were..
2003-2004 SRT-4 - Fast, but its still a neon
2000-2004 Mustang GT, or maybe even a Mach 1 - Too heavy, everyone has one, and pretty ugly as well.
2002-2003 WRX - Ugly
Old 07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the kettle calling the pot black because I should have waited as well but to my benefit I am out of school and the Z is a second car.. The Z most likely is a very poor daily driver especially in a state which gets a lot of snow. If your Cougar runs well and is reliable drive it until money is moor available. Even though you will make more money when you get out of school, you will be alarmingly suprised how fast it will get spent. There is nothing more irritating and will make you sell the car than wanting a house, but can't afford it due to the car. Srockpile your money. Car loans are relatively easy compared to some other things you will want in the near future. A wife or and a baby will quickly make the Z hard to keep.

My List:

1. Keep the car and finish school. Current Z or the next gen will wait on you
2. You finish school, sell Cougar & use $ for down payment on next gen Z
3. Sell cougar and use $ for down payment (poor choice) IMO
Old 07-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Crewctlvr

First get rid of any debt before you do anything if the Cougar is running fine. Second, remember practically every car ultimately becomes a junker. Third make investments in something that appreciates. Finally, if you want a Z wait and get a new one. Note, many performance cars are really abused so check out a used one very carefully.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:54 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Malice
Thanks for your input. I guess I am just getting a little tired of my car, its awfully slow, and it doesnt get the looks that it used to, being a 7 year old car now. My Cougar is pretty slow, being that the auto trans in the cougar is horrible compared to one in say, a 350z. The manual cougars do 2 seconds faster in the quarter mile. I could buy a manual cougar.. I would have a head start on mods, and it would be a bit faster, also giving me some more experience with a manual. But, Ive pretty much ruled out every other car available, I just cant get my mind off a 350z.

Some of the other options were..
2003-2004 SRT-4 - Fast, but its still a neon
2000-2004 Mustang GT, or maybe even a Mach 1 - Too heavy, everyone has one, and pretty ugly as well.
2002-2003 WRX - Ugly
I do not want to ignite the 350Z and snow debate, but a front wheel drive Neon or Subaru with all-season tires will go just about anyplace in any weather.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:06 PM
ZedNewbie

I say do it (buy the Z) - you only live once. Check your finances and make sure you can swing it though. davidv gives you some sound advice that you should think over carefully.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:21 PM
LIdrew

Originally Posted by Crewctlvr
First get rid of any debt before you do anything if the Cougar is running fine. Second, remember practically every car ultimately becomes a junker. Third make investments in something that appreciates. Finally, if you want a Z wait and get a new one. Note, many performance cars are really abused so check out a used one very carefully.
You tell him to invest in something that appreciates but then tell him to get a NEW Z which will depreciate about 4K bucks or more as soon as he drives off the lot. For someone on a budget this may not be the best choice.

My advice to the OP...Just keep your cougar man. Drive it till its done, save your money while you're in school and don't ASSUME you will be making a bunch more money when you graduate. Wait til you graduate and get a Job and then see how much you are ACTUALLY making. I didn't even own a car until I graduated college and then I bought an 8 year old integra. I loved that car.

Your cougar isn't worth 6-8K. Maybe on a dealer's lot.
A Used Z isn't 17-18.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:01 PM
06daytona

i will tell you keep the cougar, as much as i love my new Z, i am always strapped for cash, and its my daily driver (in san antonio though), so now im stuck w/ a huge car payment for 4 more yrs, thank god i have a girlfriend that is cool w/ that and makes good money as well or i prob wouldnt have one. hold off as long as you can.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Crewctlvr

Originally Posted by LIdrew
You tell him to invest in something that appreciates but then tell him to get a NEW Z which will depreciate about 4K bucks or more as soon as he drives off the lot. For someone on a budget this may not be the best choice.
I used the word get a new Z. Not invest in a Z. I was talking about a long term strategy. Since most automobiles are depreciating assets I never use the word invest in referring to an automobile. He should pay off his debt, keep his current car if possible, when he pays off his debt he should invest what he was paying on the debt and then he will be ultimately in better position to get a dream car. Sorry if I conveyed the wrong idea.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:37 PM
mamu

You could always comprimise and buy a 300zx. Their not as cool looking as a z, but still nice, and pretty damn fast. Im in the same boat, Ive got a 2000 mustang v6, and Im looking for something different, most importantly though something a lot faster.

Last edited by mamu; 07-18-2006 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Forgot additional info
Old 07-18-2006, 06:34 PM
h8rain

I would definitely wait until you know you have a job. I do not konw how the market is in your area, but it took almost two years for me to get a job. (My field is in computers as well). I would hate to have a car that I could not suddenly afford.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Malice

Thanks for all of your great opinions. Its definately changed my mindset a bit. Ill guess Ill have to clean up the cougar, maybe thats why Im so down about it.

Well, feel free to add any more opinions you might have, or possible solutions.

Hopefully Ill make enough at a job I like when Im older to afford a 350z.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:03 PM
HighwaySpeed

Smile

Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 PM
NewJerZ

Are you planning on staying in WI, after you graduate college?? As a new college grad, your Z will be your daily driver....so, if you do get it, make sure to get ANYTHING but the Base Model...higher trims have Traction Control, Limited Slip Differential, VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control)...BUT you'll be spending more money on a used one w/these features.

If it were me in WI....I might consider a used Audi Quattro A4 w/manual (I hate VW, so MF a Passat) or Subaru WRX.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Malice

Well, I could get a winter beater, Im sure what I would save on insurance over the winter would pay for that. Also, storing wouldnt be a problem.

But I think that is thinking a little TOO much ahead
Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 PM
rockinbboy

I say graduate...get your job..make the extra dough...and get a used Z. Let the cougar be your beater for winter.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Ruth

Graduate-Whatever job/career you're after, go get it.You saved,bought the cougar yourself-you understand money.Used car no way.You sound like youv'e got head on your sholders.Wait,get a brand new one.