Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stick and automatic what is yours

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
led

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keosh
Was wondering am i the only guy here who has a automatic Z here haha. Dont get me wrong i know how to drive a stick but when i bought the car I wasnt to confident with stick then. Thats maybe the only mistake i made when i bought my Z other then that i love my BABY hehe
ok, is your name jose and do you drive a white Z?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by FALLEN1z
i had a stick jeep when i had my permit, a stick mustang gt for 3 years and now a stick z and i wouldnt have it any other way. auto is fine if it's not a sports car. sports cars are made for fun and auto is just not fun, it's boring. the whole tiptronic thing is completely pointless. it doenst respond fast enough to compete with a stick, it hesitates for a second before the shift is carried out. the only auto i'd ever get i a sports car is a sequential manual because it's technically a manual transmission internally. it still has a clutch. and i'd only get that if i was going to do a lot of track duty. it drives me nuts when i see figures like "74% of corvette sales are automatic" it's rediculous. if you want a sports car, go all out, save the auto for your camry

I highly doubt you can shift faster than the 5AT. It's very similar to the Porsche tranny which can shift in less than 200ms. Yes, that is milliseconds. A Ferrari takes 150ms in sport auto mode to shift. Pro drag cars use ATs because they shift faster than any human in a MT can. A professional NASCAR driver can do a single shift in approximately 0.7 to 0.8 seconds and they are some of the best manual shift drivers around. If you can shift faster than the Z 5AT, I say we get you on the race circuit and make some serious money. If your shifts are taking a second or longer you either have a faulty transmission or not shifting correctly.

A sequential transmission has nothing to do with being an AT or MT. Any transmission that shifts in a 1...2...3... X ...3...2...1 pattern is a sequential transmission because you do each shift in "SEQUENCE". A non-sequential transmission is a transmission that has an open shift pattern, like an H pattern shifter.

See my post above, all multi-gear transmissions have at least one clutch. It doesn't matter if it's an AT or MT.

Yes, the SMG, DSG and similar type trannies uses a friction plate as opposed to a torque converter to transfer power. But, they are not manual transmissions. Those trannies including the Tiptronic types are automatics with manual overrides at best. In those transmissions you only get to tell the tranny when you want to shift by using a paddle, lever, button or whatever input they decided to use. Once you activate the shift command the computer takes over and controls everything from the timing to the disengagement and engagement of the gear and clutch. You have no other control other than when you want to shift. The only transmission that can be called a manual transmission is a standard tranny.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 02-10-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by kj98r05
But in stock cars the manual will be faster 95% of the time because of driver error.
It's the other way around, the AT will have less chance of driver error.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Ianmtx

keosh you son of a b**ch!
Old 02-09-2007, 07:43 PM
03performz

Originally Posted by keosh
Was wondering am i the only guy here who has a automatic Z here haha. Dont get me wrong i know how to drive a stick but when i bought the car I wasnt to confident with stick then. Thats maybe the only mistake i made when i bought my Z other then that i love my BABY hehe

One of the lamest posts ever.. where is BEEESSSSPPEEE when you need to compare lameness? Did he jump off a bridge or something?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:47 PM
led

Originally Posted by 03performz
One of the lamest posts ever.. where is BEEESSSSPPEEE when you need to compare lameness? Did he jump off a bridge or something?
What's soo lame about it? Dude wasn't comfortable with stick when he bought his car and now he is semi-regretting it. Big deal
Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrible thread
Old 02-10-2007, 04:05 AM
kj98r05

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
It's the other way around, the AT will have less chance of driver error.
I'm saying it's not 100% of the time because of driver error. 5% of the time a good driver (not just anybody) will mess up off the line or miss a shift or spin a little too much or whatever. Doesn't really matter because this dumbass thread needs to get closed anyway!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:37 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by ___DJK___
Terrible thread

yes it is
Old 02-10-2007, 04:50 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 03performz
I put the blame on deltafarce!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:10 AM
roast

Originally Posted by davidv
I put the blame on deltafarce!
I blame you david. It's all your fault!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Z04

actually, it is dave's fault
Old 02-10-2007, 10:51 AM
bonusfrag

in before the lock. the internet is an awesome place to solicit opinions btw.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 PM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Old 02-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets try this:
https://my350z.com/forum/polls/248776-at-vs-mt.html
Old 02-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Electricchild

5AT here. Flame me all you want I don't care. When it comes to ****ty stop and go Seattle traffic I just want to sit back, listen to Howard Stern and not worry about anything else while I'm in the car.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:37 PM
keosh

ya same here LA trafic is a biznatch and well i realy dont feel like changing gears every 5 sec but dont get me wrong befor i get my TT in my car im going Stick. so stop flaming on me by the way is this the longest automatic vs manual thread cuz i havent seen one longer
Old 02-11-2007, 09:47 PM
lilquazyvietboi

Here is the 2 fastest z's on this site first of all its preference what you would rather drive auto or manual my point is that no matter what you say the 2 fastest z are auto's and if they made better parts for the stock auto transmission which i believe is in progress by reading other threads i think it will still hold its own if not beat out the six speed trans. Yes it is fun to drive stick but some people need to wake up to reality you act like its a huge difference or something if you think that you are very funny person. I don't think there are any z's that are running any kind of good horsepower that still have stock z trans either. Automatic is an automatic and manual is a manual no matter what car you throw it in why couldnt they just throw a t56 manual trans in the car instead of the th350 i believe it can hold the power also their is a reason why they put the auto in the car and not the manual.

FASTEST Z'S: AUDIBLE MAYHEM 10.404 ITS A AUTO
BLRDZ 10.697 ITS A AUTO
ok? the fastest car is in an auto... ur point? the more drag racing oriented the car.. the less reliable it is on the street. what about rally race? sure the top auto cars can go from 0-120 the fastest... let's say

but... on the street and on a roll.... trying an auto would do u no good. here's why.

let's say we're going 80mph... and (3 horn = let's roll)... since i know we're gonna go on 3rd horn... i lower my gear to 3rd gear in the torque band at around 6rpm (starting at 80mph)... on 3rd horn... all i gotta do is slam on the gas. where as if u drive an auto.... when u slam on the gas... it takes like a full second or so before it can go from 6th down to 3rd gear. ASK ANY Drag racer... a full second of response at the start of a race = very very bad

there's a reason why most street sport car are manual. because we can manually adjust the car to our own taste accordingly to the condition. the drift king tsuchiya always drives a stick and not an auto why?

all touge racers drive a stick because they can keep their car at the torque band regardless of the situation: uphill, downhill, tight corners, wide corners, u-turns,... an auto will **** u up cause every second counts... if u slam on the peddle half way... it shifts u into a certain gear... then when u slam ALL the way down, it gets u down to ANOTHER gear.

another this is... let's say we're speeding up to hit a corner... u know u gonna slow down so u let go off the accelerator... an auto will go to the next gear... u hit the brake upon cornering... accelerate a little cause u losing speed... brake a little more to adjust.... and slam on the gas at the corner exit.... ur auto will shift like crazy.... i bet u... u'll lose like 2-4secs of response.

where as with a stick... i can just slow down... heal-toe to an appropriate gear and do the whole cornering within 1 gear.... and at the corner exit... i just slam on the gas? ^_-

u brought up a worthless fact... cause Z is a road sport car... not a track car.... they use these crazy 7 seconds car with parachutes in the rear fo the brakes. that does not mean an auto is better than a Z when

1. it isnt stock auto
2. it is for the track 1/4 drag time (no professional draggers choses a Z for 1/4 anyways)

auto z is not BETTER than a stick... and here's MY reason why stick > auto

1.pre-adjust my car to be ready for a roll.
2.keeps me active and not bored
3.i can drift better.
4.i can rev up my engine (sure u can put N and rev... but that's not safe while u are on a roll :P )
5.im a lefty... so my left foot needs to be doing something.
6.i can watch my time and improve.. instead of slamming on the gas for 1/4... well unless u are a pro drag racer... what fun is it to slam on the gas at a 1/4?
7. and finally....... i can shift to the beat of the music

CASE CLOSED... u people who use "the top 1/4 mile Z is an auto"... U GOT OWNED!!!! cause ur fact is pointless... just admit ur fukn lazy and want to relax on a cruise

Last edited by lilquazyvietboi; 02-11-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:04 PM
md350

In auto Z's you can manual shift and choose your gears.

...there goes that page of writing

Quick Reply: Stick and automatic what is yours