Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Counter weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:52 PM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Simplewon, when you drive the tires are constantly picking up energy as they roll over the graininess of the pavement surface. The back wheels will transmit vibration forward and the front wheels will send vibration rearward. So, looking at the vibration from the rear wheels it will take two paths as it travels forward, one through the frame and floor pan and a second path up and over the roof. The frequency of these vibrations is the same, but the longer path over the roof and down the windshield and A pillars will cause the vibration to arrive slightly later. As these two impulses collide they will effectively cancel each other out.

Roadsters and convertibles tend to only send the road vibrations along one path. At certain speeds the combined vibrations from the front and rear will form a harmonic wave that will be felt inside the car. The weights you see are suspended in a flexible medium. Any vibrations in the vicinity also set the weight to vibrating, however the isolation of the weight means that it vibrates slightly out of sync and will also cancel out any harmonics that are building up.

I’ve been reading this forum for over 10 years and I’m continually amazed that people call the smaller similar device inside the coupe’s hatch a “counter weight”. This is not its purpose; it is also a vibration damper to take care of vibrations that build in the hatch.
I just installed the Autech mass dampers from the Nismo Z on my car. Im curious if the Nismo Z has the heavy dampers as well. Also, would the Autech dampers take the place of the heavy dampers?
Old 03-09-2015, 02:55 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Holy post from the dead. This post started in 2003. Thinking this is a record for reviving a post.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

DeusExmaxima, the weights referenced in this thread are exclusive to the Roadster.

Yes Bmccann, products like Dynamat do add an engineered mass capable of absorbing vibrations etc. and I don’t mean to dismiss all the inherent science, but it isn’t meant for the same the same problem.

My dad had no formal engineering education, in fact he didn’t even finish high school. However he had an inherent ability to problem solve. Most of his work entailed fabricating and machining components for some of the most demanding antique car restorers. The odd time he would machine up an engine part or whatnot for someone restoring a rare old Brough Superior, Harley or Indian to be a driver. These things would buzz and vibrate the handlebars like mad. Owners who didn’t want to change any original parts would come to my dad for a solution. He would fill the last ten inches or so of the handlebars with liquid rubber and suspend heavy fishing weights in the rubber as it cured to a solid. The bars would vibrate, which would set the weights vibrating. The slight time delay of the vibrations passing through the rubber meant that weights (having the same frequency but having a small time delay) could perfectly cancel the vibrations in the handlebars.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 PM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

it is interesting that I came across this thread because when I was installing my rear damper in my trunk, I noticed that big chunk of rubber in the right rear corner and was wondering what it was.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:54 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

12 years man...wow.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

I've always enjoyed the Z being one big vibrator.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

DeusExmaxima, the weights referenced in this thread are exclusive to the Roadster.

Yes Bmccann, products like Dynamat do add an engineered mass capable of absorbing vibrations etc. and I don’t mean to dismiss all the inherent science, but it isn’t meant for the same the same problem.

My dad had no formal engineering education, in fact he didn’t even finish high school. However he had an inherent ability to problem solve. Most of his work entailed fabricating and machining components for some of the most demanding antique car restorers. The odd time he would machine up an engine part or whatnot for someone restoring a rare old Brough Superior, Harley or Indian to be a driver. These things would buzz and vibrate the handlebars like mad. Owners who didn’t want to change any original parts would come to my dad for a solution. He would fill the last ten inches or so of the handlebars with liquid rubber and suspend heavy fishing weights in the rubber as it cured to a solid. The bars would vibrate, which would set the weights vibrating. The slight time delay of the vibrations passing through the rubber meant that weights (having the same frequency but having a small time delay) could perfectly cancel the vibrations in the handlebars.
^^^ Awesome answer Jen, and exactly right!

The weight/mass of the dampener is designed to counter the inherent chassis' harmonic vibration and is an integral part of the Nissan design.

There are actually three weights on the Z serving the same purpose (at least there are on the Z34R, believe it is carried over from Z33) - one front on the structural support, one rear in the trunk, and one on the transmission x-member (I believe... It's mid-ship somewhere.)

While it isn't a structural component per se, removal of same *MIGHT* lead to additional NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) - something a factory suspended, street driven Z doesn't need.

My take, trust Nissan engineering. Is the weight savings of removing it worth the possible downside of incurring discomfort while driving on the street? Only you can prevent forest....er, I mean, only you can make that judgement.

FWIW, the weight you take out is negligible unless you are completely stripping and gutting for track use. If it's a track car, sure, throw it out but be careful that scrutineers at the next regional you run don't foul you out for illegal weight removal for your class. Scales at impound do not lie.

Edit: Dayam, just noticed the origin date of this thread...... hahahahahaha. Oh well, add it to the Roadster FAQ!

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-10-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by StuLax18
I've always enjoyed the Z being one big vibrator.

Jenn, what is your take on this?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Well Syner, an electric toothbrush can also serve as a Marital Aid in a pinch, but it’s kinda yucky for its owner the next morning!!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Syner

Well Syner, an electric toothbrush can also serve as a Marital Aid in a pinch, but it’s kinda yucky for its owner the next morning!!
Even if you rinse it before going to sleep?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:00 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

As tempted as I am to chime in on this one, I'm going to TRY to be a gentleman.

But I like your style, Syner!

To stay on topic, I think Nissan sub-contracted with Hitachi on stuff for the Z.

And with that, this thread PROBABLY SHOULD DIE as I don't see it going much lower than the gutter it's in.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:13 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Wrap it up!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:54 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

Old 03-10-2015, 02:11 PM
pez1111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C'mon guys back on track here. Iv been away for a year or so and came back for a bit of nostalgia .
I have roadster and while installing a HKS S/C i had to remove said swinging thing to enable the fitting of the intercooler ducting. It was pretty bloody heavy as i recall . Was driving home one night and at about 130 kph the front wanted to lift. It was dark and there were lots of strange lights in the sky.
But since installation the car drives fine, no vibes at all. I even tracked it a few times at Eastern Creek. Sweet.
remember to floss!!!!

Last edited by pez1111; 03-10-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 AM
Syner

Old 03-15-2015, 01:53 PM
350Z86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't read all the posts but it's only on roadsters. And there is also one in the back as well. Also weighs about the same.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:58 PM
g0lfball3R

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pez1111
C'mon guys back on track here. Iv been away for a year or so and came back for a bit of nostalgia .
I have roadster and while installing a HKS S/C i had to remove said swinging thing to enable the fitting of the intercooler ducting. It was pretty bloody heavy as i recall . Was driving home one night and at about 130 kph the front wanted to lift. It was dark and there were lots of strange lights in the sky.
But since installation the car drives fine, no vibes at all. I even tracked it a few times at Eastern Creek. Sweet.
remember to floss!!!!

Yeah, that rotating weight put a hole in bottom of a 2row aluminum radiator. Had to take it out for the new one.