Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z owner, question about driving in snow.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:07 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

Originally Posted by Regu Av Pommern
Hey guys. If I plan to only drive when it is not snowing during winter, do I still need Blizzaks, will it be dangerous. I think I will get a rental for snow, icy days. I mean if I have to, I will have to, then. I want to be safe and keep my beautiful machine intact.
you live in NY, you are going to have snow
Old 10-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Regu Av Pommern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replying. I know. I mean what if I put the Z away during specific icy, snowy, periods? I guess I just never drove a rwd during winter, I really don´t know how risky it is, but I worry that the cold, semi frozen road may also be dangerous. I guess I want to you to confirm if I should

a) not worry about that as long as there is not actual snow/ice outside (even without blizzaks)

or

b) definitely get blizzaks and only drive the Z during no-snow winter days, still.

I mean, I am just trying to gather info. I am very respectful with my car. I know the amount of power it has. It is my first RWD, maybe I should just concentrate in avoiding the winter altogether or perhaps I am overthinking it.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:19 PM
travlee
Master

If you are not used to rwd, i wouldnt bring it out in snow/ice. If you do, take it to an open lot and sling it around some so you kinda know what to expect. I live in Texas so we just get a couple days of ice per year, so i am prob not the best person to give advice. Others will chime in
Old 10-19-2016, 06:26 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Ice > any car.

To put the Z away on icy days and rent a car is a waste of time and money, IMO. You might as well store the Z and get another car for your daily driver.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:05 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for replying. I know. I mean what if I put the Z away during specific icy, snowy, periods? I guess I just never drove a rwd during winter, I really don´t know how risky it is, but I worry that the cold, semi frozen road may also be dangerous. I guess I want to you to confirm if I should

a) not worry about that as long as there is not actual snow/ice outside (even without blizzaks)

or

b) definitely get blizzaks and only drive the Z during no-snow winter days, still.

I mean, I am just trying to gather info. I am very respectful with my car. I know the amount of power it has. It is my first RWD, maybe I should just concentrate in avoiding the winter altogether or perhaps I am overthinking it.
You best option is to get a second car. FWD is excellent with snow tires and is more than enough for NY winters. Any weather that requires a awd/4wd you shouldn't be driving in anyways. No rear reason to waste the gas and money on an AWD just spend it on proper rubber.

a) If you have good all season tires this would be fine. If you have summer tires its a complete no go below ~40F.

b) If you ever drive in the snow and ice blizzaks are a huge improvement. No reason to get them if they never see snow.

You can drive the Z safely in the snow with blizzaks but its never going to be a good car for it.

The RWD isn't the problem it the fact it a sports car. Its tires are way to wide, a 215 would be a much more sensible tire size for the weight of the car (in the snow). But that requires new wheels to fit properly. The short wheel base makes it easy to spin and hard to catch. The stock tow in and camber in the rear suspension don't help as its set up to help rotate the car. Again making it ease to spin. The car also gives you the feeling it has way more grip than it actually does.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Northern Alberta

We don't get a ton of snow like the east coast, but we have snow/ice pack all winter. RWD in the winter isn't the problem, the relatively light rear-end of the Z is. I rarely use 4WD in my Jeeps - they're left in 2WD (which is RWD) 95% of the winter.

Snow/ice tires make a HUGE difference. Even if you have dry pavement, the cold will freeze up the rubber in summer tires.

BC recently passed a law requiring snow/ice tires from October 1 to March 31. I think every area that sees snow should have laws like this. It's one thing to drive without a seatbelt and endanger yourself, it's entirely different driving without proper tires and endangering everyone else on the road.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:02 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have driven my 350 year round since I bought it in 2003. 1st couple of years when it snowed I just drove the company van until the streets were cleared. Got caught out in a sudden snowstorm one day though and spun the Z right off the road. Ordered Blizzaks the next day, and have never had a problem since. And yes, they are great for the cold as well as the snow - summer tires have no grip when it gets below 20!
Old 10-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Regu Av Pommern

Thanks guys. I suppose I will get some Blizzaks, most likely in 24 days, by mid November. If it snows, though, I will most likely call an Uber to take me to the train station or get a rental. I work at a Uni, so I get a modest discount to rent a car and I only really need to drive from monday to friday. I mean, I won't even be here from Dec 16th to January 21st, so that leaves me 2.5 months of winter to deal with, then I get to drive my Z with pleasure. BTW BTW..... Would you recommend that I get some cheap wheels with those Blizzaks???? What would be the ideal set of wheels to drive during winter?
Old 10-21-2016, 05:49 AM
rancor

17" make for cheaper winter tires and should fit over the stock brakes not necessary oe brembos.

The recommended tires and wheel width are 225/50R17 front and 225/55R17 rear and 17x7 but up to 17x8 would work.

Enkei are a good, trusted, and cheap wheel brand but you can probably go with anyone for winter wheels.

They're ugly but cheap

Last edited by rancor; 10-21-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:33 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Even with the two weeks of snow we get in the MD/DC area I won't drive mine until ALL the ice is gone and the roads are clear. And even afterwards you'll have to contend with the excessive salt on the roads. I've seen people here getting Z's stuck on mild inclines in snow/ice simply because they were too lazy/cheap to purchase appropriate tires or just simply had no clue how to drive in snowy conditions.

After doing a complete 180 in traffic one December, I just parked mine and said f*ck it for a few weeks.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Regu Av Pommern

Originally Posted by rancor
17" make for cheaper winter tires and should fit over the stock brakes not necessary oe brembos.

The recommended tires and wheel width are 225/50R17 front and 225/55R17 rear and 17x7 but up to 17x8 would work.

Enkei are a good, trusted, and cheap wheel brand but you can probably go with anyone for winter wheels.

They're ugly but cheap
What are my options if I do have Brembos? I got the 05 anniversary edition.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:02 AM
rancor

All the Z wheels fit on every Z if i remember right. I would also check tire rack. The wheels I posted earlier are supposed to fit even over brembos according to tirerack.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:11 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
Ice > any car.

To put the Z away on icy days and rent a car is a waste of time and money, IMO. You might as well store the Z and get another car for your daily driver.

A car you wont be upset about abandoning in the case of an emergency is the way to go... And awd helps.

Just think about a salt truck driving by throwing chunks of salt at your car.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 10-25-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:29 PM
travlee
Master

i would think if these fit over stop tech you would be okay

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tire...7x10-25-a.html
Old 10-26-2016, 03:00 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
BC recently passed a law requiring snow/ice tires from October 1 to March 31.
Does that mean all-season tires are ok or are they specifically saying you need to own some Blizzaks or equivalents?
Old 10-27-2016, 06:46 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Does that mean all-season tires are ok or are they specifically saying you need to own some Blizzaks or equivalents?
All Seasons must have the "Mud & Snow" logo

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...t-winter-tires
Old 10-27-2016, 07:24 AM
rancor

Originally Posted by travlee
i would think if these fit over stop tech you would be okay

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tire...7x10-25-a.html
They are way too wide though so don't get these exact ones.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:02 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm running 225 Blizzaks on the stock 03 Performance wheels - they were just laying around collecting dust anyway. And I have never been close to getting stuck - did scrape bottom a bit once two years ago getting the 3 blocks out of the neighborhood after a fresh 9 inches or so, which is extremely rare in these parts. Other than that I can controlled drift a bit with total confidence when I'm feeling froggy lol. Just about time to put the Z32 away for the winter and go back to the Z33. Sad........
Old 12-29-2019, 07:27 AM
Astérix.

Default Anyone driving 370z in Ottawa snow?

Hi, new to the forum. Thinking of buying a 2020 370z mt, however our winters here in Ottawa Canada can get pretty brutal.
Anone here drive a 6 speed 370z in similar weather conditions?

Current car: 2017 Accord sport Mt. (yes with snow tires)
Thanks
Old 12-29-2019, 01:42 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I'm in Colorado, not Canada, but my Z stays in the garage when the snow flies. Even with all-season tires, it's not worth fighting a 50-50 weight distribution on slippery streets. Ask me how I know...

Quick Reply: New Z owner, question about driving in snow.