Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:22 AM
BaddassZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Should I sell my car?

So after saving a years salary by living at home, working, and going to college, I bought myself a 07' 350z Enthusiast HR. I unfortunately overpaid for it cause I fell so in love with the car. Paid $13,500 + 7% NJ Tax + Motor Vehicles, closer to $14,400. It has 106K miles on it. Since purchase I've had to do spark plugs (100K is a bad mileage to buy a car cause these things start to have to get replaced), fuel injector cleaning, serpentine belt, 2 new TPMS sensors, and weatherstripping (almost $180 installed). After cleaning the injectors and throttle body I kept getting Check engine lights. After deep research I found that it was linked to the local shop not doing a idle relearn procedure post cleaning the throttle body as I was getting a high idle code.
These past couple weeks have left me kinda traumatized given how much time, money, and check engine lights and TPMS lights were going on.

My question is: do you think I should just fold and sell the car and lease a Elantra or something given the mileage of the car? I'm graduating college this semester and NEED a reliable car.

Last edited by BaddassZ; 02-27-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by BaddassZ
So after saving a years salary by living at home, working, and going to college, I bought myself a 07' 350z Enthusiast HR. I unfortunately overpaid for it cause I fell so in love with the car. Paid $13,500 + 7% NJ Tax + Motor Vehicles, closer to $14,400. It has 106K miles on it. Since purchase I've had to do spark plugs (100K is a bad mileage to buy a car cause these things start to have to get replaced), fuel injector cleaning, serpentine belt, 2 new TPMS sensors, and weatherstripping (almost $180 installed). After cleaning the injectors and throttle body I kept getting Check engine lights. After deep research I found that it was linked to the local shop not doing a idle relearn procedure post cleaning the throttle body as I was getting a high idle code.
These past couple weeks have left me kinda traumatized given how much time, money, and check engine lights and TPMS lights were going on.

My question is: do you think I should just fold and sell the car and lease a Elantra or something given the mileage of the car? I'm graduating college this semester and NEED a reliable car.
first determine how much you could sell it for. since you already own the Z I would probably drive it until something major happens. These cars are pretty reliable. Have you changed fluids yet? Like trans, coolant, brake, clutch, and power steering fluids? I would recommend doing this if you plan on keeping the car. If you really want a new car then do it but if you plan on moving out you are going to have other expenses like rent and utility payments and then throwing car payments on top of that for someone just getting out of school might be a tight squeeze on your wallet. Cant comment on how reliable the elantra is but my brother inlaw drives a Sonata and seems to like it and hasn't had any problems yet.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 AM
BaddassZ

Originally Posted by Zmandriving
first determine how much you could sell it for. since you already own the Z I would probably drive it until something major happens. These cars are pretty reliable. Have you changed fluids yet? Like trans, coolant, brake, clutch, and power steering fluids? I would recommend doing this if you plan on keeping the car. If you really want a new car then do it but if you plan on moving out you are going to have other expenses like rent and utility payments and then throwing car payments on top of that for someone just getting out of school might be a tight squeeze on your wallet. Cant comment on how reliable the elantra is but my brother inlaw drives a Sonata and seems to like it and hasn't had any problems yet.
Well I could afford to make lease payments on a Elantra or of the sorts with my current minimum wage salary NOW. A major selling point on the lease is they have to fix it on their dime if something goes wrong. It's a guaranteed car for the 2 yr lease term. Also any NEW car you buy in this day and age will be reliable for the next 2 years without a problem granted u maintain it, witch is part of the lease terms. I'm guessing if I got 11 for the car and figure $5500 for a 2 year lease I'd have around 5-6K back in my account.

I'm not worried I won't be able to make payments on a lease + rent with a professional level income. You can always modify ur rent to accommodate ur car payments. It's just another piece of the puzzle solved. But the uncertainty of expensive car repairs is what I have to say I can't really afford. It's a hard decision cause I f'in love this car and always wanted a Z. But if I can't afford a lower millage / new one maybe I should have held off.

Last edited by BaddassZ; 02-27-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:02 AM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of what you have done is preventative or elective maintenance. You don't need TMPS, You didn't have to have the Injectors and TB cleaned and I doubt your serp belt was in desperate need of immediate replacement, your weather stripping would be related to an abuse issue. The serp belt could have left you stranded if it actually broke, nothing else you've done has had any real affect on the reliability of the car. IF the car isn't a lemon and has been moderately cared for it should have no trouble reaching 200k miles or more.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:06 AM
BaddassZ

Originally Posted by monztr
Most of what you have done is preventative or elective maintenance. You don't need TMPS, You didn't have to have the Injectors and TB cleaned and I doubt your serp belt was in desperate need of immediate replacement, your weather stripping would be related to an abuse issue. The serp belt could have left you stranded if it actually broke, nothing else you've done has had any real affect on the reliability of the car. IF the car isn't a lemon and has been moderately cared for it should have no trouble reaching 200k miles or more.
I agree that most of this was elective maintenance. But the spark plugs and the belt I believe were not. Spark plugs I needed for obvious reasons and I didn't spend $14K on a car to hear the belt squeal (was cracked btw)! But the whole check engine lights have me concerned. They're off now and supposedly corrected with the idle relearn. I just can't afford car problems.

Last edited by BaddassZ; 02-27-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:23 AM
BaddassZ

Thanks for your opinion that you think I should keep it! Any other opinions welcomed!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM
essejd

Sounds like regular maintenance so far

Spark plugs aren't a big deal. I believe the plugs themselves were under $100 and took me half an hour to do.

Not sure why you want to get rid of it now
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Geo Metro Convertible
Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 AM
NissanZcrazy

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Um.....How do you go from a HR 350z to a Hyundai Elantra?.By all means keep your 350z.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

The elantra hatch is a nice DD and I'm being completely serious
Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
I would look at ford fiesta st for a dd. They are quick and fun little cars. Hyundai for some reason rubs me as cheap crap car that will have issues. Maybe because the brand hasn't been around that long. I don't know it's up to you but you are going to be going to slow car compared to Z power.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:44 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that you should jeep the z given if you can afford it with rent and everything else. The maintenance shouldn't be a problem since it looks like you've done the worst of them already..

But I want to add the elantra isn't a bad car either. I had an 05 we bought with 55k miles and we had it til around 80-90k before my gf pulled out in front of someone.... The only thing we had to replace was the cv axles. Keep in mind they have NO ***** once your doing 70ish you can floor it and they barely move its a good dd and reliable but if you want something fun and reliable your pretty much out of luck. But I did buy this chip that worked pretty well, it gave it a couple more hp or you could turn it down and save gas, looking back now I'm surprised it actually worked, but its not like it was 20+ hp ( like it claims) more like 5ish, was probably a more aggressive stock tune for it or something..
Old 02-27-2015, 02:00 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

keep the Z, but pray that the slave cylinder doesn't go out.... if so bend over and get ready to take it up the bum (unless you are mechanically inclined and feel comfortable dropping the transmission)
Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

is the car paid off? if so most repairs are going to be cheaper than a car or lease payment over the year
Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Keep her she will last.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:01 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My cars are paid off and I can't fathom a car payment again.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 PM
LiVn_It_UP

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
And way faster
Old 02-28-2015, 05:59 PM
dykel3fiddyz

A ****ing Hyundai? NO.

Keep Z and make it a project car down the road. And buy a DD when you do
Old 03-02-2015, 06:54 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That was all basic maintenance - the TB and injector cleaning probably involved a bottle of $10 "cleaner" in the gas tank BTW and wasn't need to begin with. did you do most of that work yourself I hope? No reason not to keep it from what you posted.