2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Sell the 350z and buy a lower milage one
4.35%
Keep the 350z it will last you another 4 years/ 60k miles
69.57%
Keep the 350z, there isn't enough reason to upgrade either financially or reliability related
26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

To keep my 350z or upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 PM
magellster

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Yeah, man. That's my alma mater. I suppose it's probably too late to talk you out of going to law school

Let me know if you want any advice/tips on life during or after. I currently practice in Raleigh. I still have a lot of my old notes, outlines, study aids, and books (even though they're probably outdated since I got my JD in 2010).

Didn't mean to hijack or get too OT. Feel free to PM me.

I've wanted to be an attorney since I was 6, you're about 16 years too late to try and talk me out of it! I'm actually from Raleigh (small world) and a part of the TZC (Triangle Z Club) if you've heard of it. I'll be moving back to Raleigh when I graduate in May. I'll PM you for those life tips

Last edited by magellster; 10-29-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 PM
magellster

Originally Posted by NiLL
VQs are relatively cheep. I found a place that has rebuilt block + heads, .20 over bore, 3 angle valve job decked and honed and everything set to factory specs, Brand new oil/water pumps and timing chain + tensioners. 3 year 100k mile warranty. $2800 with free shipping (you do have to send your core back). Im planning on doing this when I hit 130-150k. The guy might be willing to put aftermarket connecting rods in it as well, if I pick up the full bill for it, then I can super charge it, and daily 400WHP all day every day safely.

Your main issue will be what has been repaired / upgraded on your car. 100-120k and you are needing new suspension. Door handles and window motors every 70k (if you use them often) CD player will start skipping at some point. Coil packs and cam sensors (rev ups have 4) 80-120k. is yours outside? Seals should be looking bad right about now. The cars important components are very reliable, but there is a ton of little things that need to be replaced. 80 bucks here 120 there.
Yeah most repairs I can do myself or with my dads help (he was a mechanic in the Marines). I have money all day long for those sort of things, but my main concern was having to replace the engine which would cost more money than I will have available while in law school. From what everyone and you are saying the engine should last with good regular maintenance, which I do so looks like I can put that worry to bed! My window seals are AWFUL! I need to replace those ASAP.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:55 PM
magellster

Originally Posted by Arrtus
If I was in your shoes and I knew my Z had no problems then I'd keep it for a few more years. When the time comes, you can sell it and upgrade to a 370Z, by then the prices will have dropped. Or even a cleaner 350Z.
Great advice, but I think finding a cleaner Z would be too much of a challenge

Old 10-30-2015, 05:04 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming that you decide to trade your 350Z for the same vehicle, but in "better" condition, why not stick with yours since it's a known quantity? The upgrade would cost you as much or more than replacing the engine on your current "Z". Why not gamble that yours will go another 60K miles? Either way, by the time you get your law degree and new job, your present "Z" or even the replacement will have virtually no trade-in value. Should your gamble work, use the money saved now as a down payment on your next car - and that might be something completely different.
The following users liked this post:
magellster (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 AM
350z82

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stogey420time
^ This.

Keep the car... if taken care of, the Z is capable of going over 300k. I know the stock body style is outdated but you can spice things up by adding a body kit to enhance the appearance. If body kit is not your thing... I understand but the 350z in stock form does look outdated compare to the newer cars.

No need to find the same car with lower miles. If I'm buying a new car... it'll be an upgrade not a lateral move... unless you are a die hard 350/370z fan, more power to ya.

GL on your decision!

"the stock body style is outdated". I find this to be completely wrong. I have a 06 350z RevUp aswell (about half the mileage) and I get plenty of looks and complements on it. Check out the forum https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...l#post10672858 and you'll see what I mean. Most of us still LOVE the look of our Z.

I say keep your Z and continue to make it truly yours.

Last edited by 350z82; 10-30-2015 at 09:54 AM.
magellster (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 10:11 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

It's subjective. IMO, the stock body line of the 350 looks outdated.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:39 AM
08andawesome

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive it till the wheels fall off and by then you will have lawyer money. Then you make a killer toy/track car out of it.
magellster (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Bigsyke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stogey420time
It's subjective. IMO, the stock body line of the 350 looks outdated.
I've never received a complement for my Z33--Track, stock and clean. I have, however, had my car mistaken for a:
  • G6 coupe
  • VW bettle
  • Prius

You make 10k a year, if I heard correctly. I think that's how much I spend a year on feeding my Revup oil.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:41 PM
magellster

Originally Posted by TEF
Assuming that you decide to trade your 350Z for the same vehicle, but in "better" condition, why not stick with yours since it's a known quantity? The upgrade would cost you as much or more than replacing the engine on your current "Z". Why not gamble that yours will go another 60K miles? Either way, by the time you get your law degree and new job, your present "Z" or even the replacement will have virtually no trade-in value. Should your gamble work, use the money saved now as a down payment on your next car - and that might be something completely different.
I want to avoid "gambling" with my Z lasting because I need a car to get me through the next 4 years and having to replace an engine would put A LOT of strain on me financially, especially since I will be paying for law school myself. It sounds like my Z should and will get me there as long as I take care of it, which I do.

The thought I had with selling it would be to sell my modded parts such as the exhaust to someone who wanted to upgrade from stock and give them a small discount for their stock exhaust which I would place on my car before selling it. This would be a huge headache though.

I think I will be holding on to my Z until I graduate law school and/ or win the lottery
Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 PM
Frank_White

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

A properly maintained Z can last many years of spirited driving. As for the "outdated" debate, almost everyone who isn't into cars assumes my car is a 2008+
magellster (11-10-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 09:37 AM
chari
Banned

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Hold onto it till it can't hold on no more. Plan to do that with mine and my 05 Spec
magellster (11-10-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 10:15 PM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NiLL
VQs are relatively cheep. I found a place that has rebuilt block + heads, .20 over bore, 3 angle valve job decked and honed and everything set to factory specs, Brand new oil/water pumps and timing chain + tensioners. 3 year 100k mile warranty. $2800 with free shipping (you do have to send your core back). Im planning on doing this when I hit 130-150k. The guy might be willing to put aftermarket connecting rods in it as well, if I pick up the full bill for it, then I can super charge it, and daily 400WHP all day every day safely.

Your main issue will be what has been repaired / upgraded on your car. 100-120k and you are needing new suspension. Door handles and window motors every 70k (if you use them often) CD player will start skipping at some point. Coil packs and cam sensors (rev ups have 4) 80-120k. is yours outside? Seals should be looking bad right about now. The cars important components are very reliable, but there is a ton of little things that need to be replaced. 80 bucks here 120 there.
hey!Nill I might be in the market for a engine like that as well do you mind sharing the information you can PM if you would I appreciate it.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Heritage

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bad boyz
hey!Nill I might be in the market for a engine like that as well do you mind sharing the information you can PM if you would I appreciate it.
I would like to know this as well - just for future reference.