Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kamil's '03 350Z Journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:50 AM
kamilitaryman

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rearranged
Report back on those tires after you get them broke in. I saw them on tire rack and they don't have any reviews because they are a new tire. Curious to see how they will perform.
Will do bud. I did find some reviews on the same tire but a different size and had good reviews. Everyone seems to like the tread wear and the grip on dry and wet pavement, so it should be a decent tire.

Last edited by kamilitaryman; 04-04-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:57 PM
kamilitaryman

Tires got picked up a few hours ago. I pulled the trigger on the rims a few minutes ago! This is my 1st legit set of rims ever! Once I get the refund for the tires, I'll be ordering those Indy 500s.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 AM
kamilitaryman

I totally forgot to mention this but I think the stock VLSD sucks *****! It's very undecided if it wants to stay open or locked on hard acceleration. The only way to fix this is to replace the viscous disks and slap it all back together. I'd really like to get something with less maintenance. What are your thoughts on the Quaife ATB diff?

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...al-p-2397.html
Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 AM
kamilitaryman

Dang, looks like I'm going to have to wait a max of 3 months before I get my rims. They were special order. I tried different shops and they all had the same thing to say. I ended up getting them through Evasive Motorsports.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:31 AM
kamilitaryman

Evasive just updated my order status to shipped! Rims are going to be here Monday, I'm so fkin' pumped! No more sunken battleships on the Z lol

I should've ordered those Indy 500 back when I was looking at them because now, the 275s won't be available until early September. I really wanted to try those out! I'll look around for other choices I guess.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:52 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I was eyeballing those Indy 500 also but the availability keeps moving back, I went with sumitumo because JDM yo

Btw your ka24det build link doesn't work.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 07-26-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Quaife is a really good one to have as it doesnt need to be refreshed like a clutch type. Although a true 2way clutch type would be ideal if you are doing big tracks, starting off with a helictical is probably the best idea. Just keep in mind if you get 1 wheel in the air (over a curb, wheel hop) it acts as an open diff.

The VSLD is only 30% locking anyhow even if it locked like it should.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:29 AM
kamilitaryman

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I was eyeballing those Indy 500 also but the availability keeps moving back, I went with sumitumo because JDM yo

Btw your ka24det build link doesn't work.
When I was looking at them, they were still in-stock. I ended up buying a set of wheels for my WRX with the refund lol

The build thread link should work now. Not sure what caused the link to change.

Originally Posted by NiLL
Quaife is a really good one to have as it doesnt need to be refreshed like a clutch type. Although a true 2way clutch type would be ideal if you are doing big tracks, starting off with a helictical is probably the best idea. Just keep in mind if you get 1 wheel in the air (over a curb, wheel hop) it acts as an open diff.

The VSLD is only 30% locking anyhow even if it locked like it should.
Awesome post. Thanks for your input! I really like the fact that the Quaife is basically maintenance free. It's not easy getting the whole unit out to perform any type of work on it. Not without a car lift at least.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:36 AM
kamilitaryman

Alright gents. Ordered the tires yesterday afternoon. Ended up going with a set of BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 from TireRack. They should be here today. I also ordered TPMS sensors from RockAuto and those should be here Monday. Ah yes, I also forgot to mention but I also bought both window motors a couple weeks ago. My passenger side works when it wants to now and the driver side keeps doing the up-down dance when I auto-it up lol Replacing those should be fun...
Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

You could just reset the motor if its doing the happy dance... You will like them bfgs, they are really good but you will not want to keep them on the car over the winter... Under 50 outside they have very little traction. But they stick like glue normally.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 AM
kamilitaryman

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
You could just reset the motor if its doing the happy dance... You will like them bfgs, they are really good but you will not want to keep them on the car over the winter... Under 50 outside they have very little traction. But they stick like glue normally.
You know, I've thought about doing that, but in my opinion, replacing them now would be a better long term solution here. I'd have the door panel removed anyways to get access to the reset point, what's a few more steps. Besides, I'll be learning something new about my car! As far as winter and the Z, it won't be happening. I drive the daily in the winter, rollin on General Altimax Arctics

The daily actually has the A/S version of the gForce COMP2 and I love them!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 AM
kamilitaryman

Awwww yiiiiiis! The car just needs a quick wash and these are going on shortly here!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:21 PM
kamilitaryman

I fell in love with my Z all over again. It's amazing what a nice set of wheels can do to a car and your soul lol

Old 08-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Pat_Landor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the way your car looks! Well done. Any suspension mods? Or is it stock suspension?
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:40 PM
kamilitaryman

Originally Posted by Pat_Landor
I love the way your car looks! Well done. Any suspension mods? Or is it stock suspension?
Thanks!
Thank you very much! No suspension mods yet. There are plans for it in the future though
Old 08-05-2016, 08:06 AM
ApexEight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good lord that looks incredible.

Any rubbing from lock to lock? Any spacers?

Love what you're doing the car so far man.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:18 PM
kamilitaryman

Originally Posted by ApexEight
Good lord that looks incredible.

Any rubbing from lock to lock? Any spacers?

Love what you're doing the car so far man.
Thank you!!! I'm quite happy with it's progress. Just a few more fixes and upgrades and she'll be set for the track. There are no spacers, just the right width and offset The fronts clear without issues however, the rear is rubbing at the very edge of the tire during a hard dip. I'll take care of it once my weekend starts. It's been hot outside so it'll help with the fender rolling process. I got some good practice on my WRX with the Eastwood tool so I'm hoping for a good outcome with the Z lol

Last edited by kamilitaryman; 08-05-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:48 AM
kamilitaryman

Well, I finally found and bought a decent set of rear Brembo calipers! It feels like it took forever to find these but I'm glad the wait is over. Once those arrive, I'm going to sand blast and powder coat both the front and rear set together, most likely in starlight red from Eastwood. I still have to order rotors and SS lines for the rear. I held off on doing the front set as I figured it would be best to do all 4 corners at the same time. Stay tuned for updates!

Last edited by kamilitaryman; 08-21-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:44 PM
kamilitaryman

Update:

I finally decided to start the brake upgrade project. Since the rear calipers were used, I decided I'd start with them 1st. I didn't know the actual condition of the until I cleaned them up and took the apart. As predicted, the dust seals fell apart during disassembly. Ordered the OEM Brembo replacements from courtesyparts. Pistons and their seals were in excellent shape. The pistons were extremely light compared to any previous calipers I've worked with. Does anyone know what material they're made of? A magnet wouldn't stick to them.

I used paint stripper to get most of the gold off. What I couldn't get off with a brush, I got off with the sand blaster. I also cleaned up all the threads with a thread chaser to get all the gunk out. All that's left to do is to split the halves, clean them up a bit more and then I can finally spray some powder on them. I think I'm going to PC them in metallic red!

Here are some progress pics from the work I did on the rears:

Here's everything else that'll get installed. PowerStop Extreme rotor/pad combo and StopTech SS lines for the front and rear:

And here are a few more pics of the car with the new wheels, just for the hell of it (rear fenders were finally rolled too)

Last edited by kamilitaryman; 09-07-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

kamilitaryman, if those are A1 cardone front calipers check the threads with the mounting bolt before you put them on the car. They may be improperly tapped and require you to cut the threads deeper, or I just got very unlucky.

Anyways, I like the build can't wait to see the calipers painted.

Quick Reply: Kamil's '03 350Z Journal