Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 350z from Down Under : Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:32 PM
nickcrews95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 350z from Down Under : Build Thread

I hope I'm posting in the right place for a build thread. I've owned my Z for over a year now and have been lurking on these forums for a good part of that time. These forums as well as many other sources have helped me get my car closer and closer to what I want it to be.

I have a few goals for my Z which range from suspension to cosmetics but my main goal is to get 500whp. To obtain this I have done a lot of reading on forums and consulting with other VQ enthusiasts. But the main decider of where I should go with this build is my budget. To keep costs low I have purchased a few second hand parts including my turbo kit. Although I originally was going to go with a Turbonetics singe turbo kit. I managed to pick up a second hand HKS 3037 single turbo kit with a bunch of goodies so I am basing my build around that.

My purchased performance parts so far are:

Haltech Platinum Pro ECU (Second Hand)
HKS 3037 Turbo Kit
GT3582 Turbo (Second Hand)
BC Stage 3 272 Cams (Second Hand)
BC Valve Springs and Retainers (Second Hand)
Kinitex Velocity Manifold (Second Hand and Installed)
Fujitsibo Legalis R Exhaust (Second Hand and Installed)
Treadstone 750HP Return Flow Intercooler (Second Hand)
Deatschwerks 300C Fuel Pump (Second Hand)
Deatschwerks 1000CC Injectors (Second Hand)
Mac 3 Port Boost Solenoid (Second Hand)
Competition Stage 4 Clutch (Installed)
Competition Ultra Lightweight Flywheel (Installed)
Rev Up Oil Pump (Second Hand)
Epman Swirl Pot
D1 Spec Catch Can
HKS Rep Turbo Timer
Stepmaster Boost, Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Gauges

I still need to purchase:

AAM Fuel Return Kit
NGK Spark Plugs 1 step colder
Spools Forged Internals kit (Spools Forged Rods, CP 8.5:1 Pistons, Cometic HR Head Gaskets, ACL Bearings and ARP Studs.)
Rebuild Gasket Kit
GFB Deceptor BOV
GFB G-Force II Boost Controller
Oil Cooler
Z1 Master Silicon Hose Set
Wideband Gauge
eBay Lightweight Pulleys
Throttle Body Spacer (For more Vacuum Ports)
Bigger Radiator

In my opinion these mods should be more than enough to warrant 500whp but time will tell.

I wont be fitting many more performance mods to my car until it's time to turbo. This is due to me managing to get a spare engine. I was going to just pull the car off the road and build it's current engine but managed to score my spare one for free.

Handling wise my Z has:

Linea Corse Lemans Wheels 19x10+20 (Second Hand Installed)
BC BR Coilovers (Installed)
Whiteline Adjustable Front Sway Bar and Links (Installed)
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Sway Bar and Links (Installed)
eBay Adjustable Front UCA (Installed)
eBay Adjustable Rear Toe Arms (Second Hand and Installed)
eBay Adjustable Castor Arms (Second Hand and Installed)
Ultra Racing Strut Brace (Installed)
SPL Toe Bolts (Installed)
Extended Wheel Studs (For If I decide to run Spacers)

I still need to purchase:

Poly Urethane Diff Bushings
Quaife Diff Centre
OEM Brembos or OEM Akebonos
Steering Lock Mods (Not sure what yet)

I’m pretty sure these mods will suffice for handling. I do need to figure out what I tyres I need to put the power to the ground though.

Cosmetically I do like the Z’s in their stock form but there are some things I do want to change.

Cosmetics I’ve purchased:

Exterior

Linea Corse Lemans Wheels 19x10+20 (Second Hand and Installed)
Black wrapped Roof (Installed)
eBay Black Headlights with Angel Eyes (Installed)

Interior

Nismo Gear Stick (Installed)

Engine Bay

Chrome coolant reservoir
Silver D1 Spec Catch Can
Silver Epmann Swirl Pot
All rubber and silicon hoses in engine bay in red
Custom Chrome Coilpack Covers (Second Hand)
Tomei Piston Oil Cap (Installed)

Parts I still need to get:

Exterior

HR Bonnet
Rear Window Louvers
A Spoiler (Drift Dialects Duck Tail/Smoothed Rocket Bunny Duck Tail/BCL Wing I’m not sure yet)
Side Splitters
Stillen Front Lip
Guards pumped a small amount
Cut Front Grille for Intercooler
Completely Debadaged
Door handles painted black
Later Model Tail Lights
Red Tinted Rear Indicators

Interior
Corbeau LG1 Seats
Aftermarket Steering Wheel (I’m not sure what yet)
All Silver on the interior painted black
All interior lights replaced with white LEDS
Later model door cards

Engine Bay
Rare JDM Chrome Harness Cover
Chrome Radiator Diffuser
As many Chrome or Red Engine Bay Pieces I can get

The cosmetics are the last thing on my list and will probably never get that list finished but we will see.

This build will take awhile as I work casual and study part time but in saying that I am nearing the end of my parts list and I do have a tuner sorted and just need to talk to someone I know about building my engine.

I hope to update this thread when ever I purchase any new parts or install anything new. If you have any advice or questions feel free to let me know. Constructive and un-constructive criticisms are also welcome haha.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:25 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Nick, OK so you've been lurking for a while but since this is your first post I'm going to say welcome to the forum. It seems like you'been doing a lot of bedtime reading and it looks like you've spent some time thinking of just what you want from your build. I think going for the HKS turbo is a good move as a few people seem to have problems with Turbonetics. Next to the Daytona Blue, Pikes Peak White comes a close second. Good Luck with the build
Old 08-22-2016, 05:09 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Sweet ultra racing strut bar, and stubby antenna... Does that strut bar have more clearance than the oem bar? My stock bar has spacers and still has a slight rubbadubdub

On my hood, not my IM
Old 08-22-2016, 07:04 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 AM
nickcrews95

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
Hey Nick, OK so you've been lurking for a while but since this is your first post I'm going to say welcome to the forum. It seems like you'been doing a lot of bedtime reading and it looks like you've spent some time thinking of just what you want from your build. I think going for the HKS turbo is a good move as a few people seem to have problems with Turbonetics. Next to the Daytona Blue, Pikes Peak White comes a close second. Good Luck with the build
Thanks Sam . I'm glad I managed to get the HKS kit as well. Turbonetics isn't supposed to be straight bolt in for RHD models so I would have had to mess around with that to. I'll have to disagree with you about the colour but we will leave it at that hahah.

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Sweet ultra racing strut bar, and stubby antenna... Does that strut bar have more clearance than the oem bar? My stock bar has spacers and still has a slight rubbadubdub

On my hood, not my IM
I'm honestly not to sure. I put my manifold and strut brace on at the same time so I have nothing to compare it to. If the noise of it rubbing is annoying you, you could always try putting a bit of foam padding on the bonnet.

The Stubby antenna is a eBay "Nismo" one that I bumped one day and it snapped in half hahah. It barely worked anyway, I'll get a new one when I can be bothered.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Spoolin'Fool

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

holy great first post bat man! lol only kidding, nice plans man, wish i could scrounge enough scratch to be able to boost my Z but looks like youre off to a good start, i would check out mightycarmods, moog is a big nissan guy he might be able to point you to a good nissan tuner in your area. but good luck with the build sir!
The following users liked this post:
rearranged (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 01:15 AM
nickcrews95

Originally Posted by Spoolin'Fool
holy great first post bat man! lol only kidding, nice plans man, wish i could scrounge enough scratch to be able to boost my Z but looks like youre off to a good start, i would check out mightycarmods, moog is a big nissan guy he might be able to point you to a good nissan tuner in your area. but good luck with the build sir!
Cheers Spoolin I've got my tuner sorted, I had heard a few good things about him but when a friend took me to his shop and I saw there were 5+ Z's there I knew he would be the guy. I flew down to Sydney for a Mighty Car Mods event this year and met Marty and Moog. They both seemed extremely nice. I got my photo with them and what not .