Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Nissan 450Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:31 AM
dec55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
A 450Z makes no sense to anyone with half a brain. Think about it.

The 4.5L V8 is about to be phased out. Not counting the JDM only Cima (Q45) which is long overdue for a replacement, the only car in Nissan's lineup that currently uses this motor is the M45/Fuga. The 4.5L is about to be retired from Nissan/Infiniti's NA lineup when the M is replaced for 2010. It's already disappeared from the FX line with the recent introduction of the FX50. Why would Nissan drop yesterday's motor into tomorrow's sports car? It makes no sense. They'd be forced to go with the VK50VE if they wanted to build a V8 Z but IMO 390hp brings it much too close to the GT-R.

If anything, true sports car enthusiasts and fans of the Z have been saying for a few years that what the Z really needs is to go on a diet. Nissan is supposedly already addressing this issue by shaving some weight from the new car. If they want to build a Z34 NISMO or some new "higher performance" model, strip this sucker out and bring down the curb weight. Throwing two more cylinders at the car won't help weight distribution, packaging or (I can't believe I'm saying this) fuel economy. If we see a hardcore Z, my guess is it'll be a sort of stripped out Clubsort model devoid of any shoo shoo bird gadgets with only the essentials making the equipment list. THAT would be the way to go. Save the V8 for the M and the FX, or if Nissan ever gets around to it, a G50R.

I have reading about a V8 too in the 370z,it was a unexpected surprise to
see it even mentioned...but the guys at Nissan apparently are thinking about
this option. Nissan is known for mixing up parts from other models...a V8 in
a Z car would be a new step into more HP in Nissan high performance cars.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:32 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlitos_G37
Don't know if this is a repost or not, but I just found this on Left Lane News:

"The 370Z is expected to use the same VQ37VHR powerplant found in the Infiniti G37 — a V6 displacing 3.7-liter — delivering at least 330 horsepower. Recent rumors indicate a 4.5-liter V8 might also be offered. According to Japan’s Best Car, Nissan’s Chief of Production confirmed a bent eight was a distinct possibility. "

I'm thinking 400-420 bhp stock, and a wicked TT platform.

'Los

Laugh, it is not happening. They probably heard it from people on forums.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:50 AM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mmmmm, Yeaaa

Old 10-31-2008, 05:20 AM
mjk

why not a 500z and price it to compete with carera 911? it would not out handle the gtr and it would not be quicker in straight line due to rwd, unless on stickies..
Old 10-31-2008, 05:23 AM
zsport1

Like I said I don't know if it's a repost or not. BTW... I've been a member at MyG37 and G35Driver since November 2003, I've just recently decided to grace you with my presence.

And exactly what is wrong with posting about a possible V8 in a Z car? I understand the Nissan V6s are great motors. I currently own a 2006 G35 sedan and a 2008 G37 coupe. Even the SR20DE 4 banger in my old 1993 NX2000 was a great motor. But I also understand that squeezing a 4.5L V8 into the Z would take this car to a new level of stock performance that hasn't been seen in a Z, yet.

'Los
Dude, read thru some of the other threads in this category before you post up. If you had done that you would have found SEVERAL other threads regarding the "V8 Z Theory". Your question has been answered already, many times over.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:23 AM
primo79

Originally Posted by 350Zforlife
I had waffles for breakfast today.

Im having "mini mantecadas - mini muffins" from Bimbo brand...they r pretty good
Old 10-31-2008, 07:39 AM
graider

maybe a v6 super charged around 400hp?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:48 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets not start this "V8 in a Z" crap again
Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
CrownR426

Originally Posted by 350Zforlife
I had waffles for breakfast today.

I had oatmeal, hardboiled eggs, banana and an apple for breakfast today.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:51 AM
TerraNova3

Really? Im having IHOP today and getting all the pancakes I please.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 AM
zsport1

Blueberry Pancakes, yummmmm!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Greedy4nismo

they won't do it for the same reason porsche won't put even more power in the cayman S...they begin competing with their own sales. Turbo in the 370 wouldn't make sense either. They'd want to seperate the feel of the cars quite a bit if they decided to up the power in the 370. Supercharged V6, rear wheel drive only, and a more raw feeling car is more of what you can expect from the Z line if they decide to boost the power up a notch.

Totally my own opinion, supercharging may be one of the few things they can do to appeal to 350 owners that feel the same way i do about the looks of the 370.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Kiriller

.... I like turtles!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Carlitos_G37

Originally Posted by zsport1
Dude, read thru some of the other threads in this category before you post up. If you had done that you would have found SEVERAL other threads regarding the "V8 Z Theory". Your question has been answered already, many times over.
Well... after my search, I've found that there are no official answers to this theory. Only a bunch of speculation by Z-car traditionalists about why there won't be a V8.

Here's another interesting find. Again, I don't know if this has been posted before or not.

From TheGarageBlog.com
"NISMO Releases V8 350Z for Super GT Championships
February 9th 2007 by Gary Grant — 7 Comments
Tagged:350z, nismo, nissan, super-gt

Nissan Motorsports, otherwise known as NISMO has a stellar history in the Japanese Super GT Championship, having won 2 out of the last 3 years. For 2007 they have introduced a V8 powered Fairlady Z to the series. At the same time, they have ramped up their support for customer teams across the globe.

Today’s press release actually doesn’t give too much information about the actual car, other than the fact that the car is powered by a 4.5 liter V8. The sole picture released shows a complete carbon fiber body.

Nissan press release after the break

Nissan challenges SUPER GT Championship with new V8 engined Z
- 2007 Global motorsport programs announced -

Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. and Nissan Motorsports International Co., LTD (hereafter NISMO)today announced their global motorsports activities for the 2007 season.

Nissan’s factory Fairlady Zs (350Z) will now be powered by a stronger 4.5 L V8 engine aiming at victory in this years SUPER GT championship in Japan. Complimented by changes to the chassis and other key components, the competitiveness of the machines that won championships twice in the past three years has now been significantly improved.
"

Unfortunately, I also found this:
"Nissan's entering the 2007 Super GT race championship in Japan with this ferocious looking 350Z, a car which makes history by being the first works-backed 350Z to have V8 power.

Yes, folks, a V8 350Z, the stuff of dreams for many Zed fans, but the eight cylinder 4.5-liter engine is only for the track. We hear there are absolutely no plans for production, unfortunately
."

But who knows? Manufacturers like to let their racing technology trickle down into their production vehicles. Why not Nissan?

'Los
Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 AM
scrapser

In the interview with the designer dated 6/28, he also mentions the strong possibility of a limited production run of the 370Z with a V8. If that happens, it will be weird because the name denotes the size of the engine but not if they throw in a V8. They will have to call it something like 370Z Plus or perhaps 370Z SE (Second Edition). If it sells well, perhaps the next true generation of the Z may be a 450Z or whatever the displacement.

I think it's worth waiting for the second year 370Z model to be released for those who like this car. There will be time for the car to get a shakedown and time to see if the V8 version actually comes out.

For me, I'll drive my 350Z until the dust settles on this question. By then there should be at least some intelligence on the next generation floating around the Net.

Last edited by scrapser; 10-31-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
zsport1

Well... after my search, I've found that there are no official answers to this theory. Only a bunch of speculation by Z-car traditionalists about why there won't be a V8.

Here's another interesting find. Again, I don't know if this has been posted before or not.

From TheGarageBlog.com
"NISMO Releases V8 350Z for Super GT Championships
February 9th 2007 by Gary Grant — 7 Comments
Tagged:350z, nismo, nissan, super-gt

Nissan Motorsports, otherwise known as NISMO has a stellar history in the Japanese Super GT Championship, having won 2 out of the last 3 years. For 2007 they have introduced a V8 powered Fairlady Z to the series. At the same time, they have ramped up their support for customer teams across the globe.

Today’s press release actually doesn’t give too much information about the actual car, other than the fact that the car is powered by a 4.5 liter V8. The sole picture released shows a complete carbon fiber body.

Nissan press release after the break

Nissan challenges SUPER GT Championship with new V8 engined Z
- 2007 Global motorsport programs announced -

Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. and Nissan Motorsports International Co., LTD (hereafter NISMO)today announced their global motorsports activities for the 2007 season.

Nissan’s factory Fairlady Zs (350Z) will now be powered by a stronger 4.5 L V8 engine aiming at victory in this years SUPER GT championship in Japan. Complimented by changes to the chassis and other key components, the competitiveness of the machines that won championships twice in the past three years has now been significantly improved.
"

Unfortunately, I also found this:
"Nissan's entering the 2007 Super GT race championship in Japan with this ferocious looking 350Z, a car which makes history by being the first works-backed 350Z to have V8 power.

Yes, folks, a V8 350Z, the stuff of dreams for many Zed fans, but the eight cylinder 4.5-liter engine is only for the track. We hear there are absolutely no plans for production, unfortunately
."

But who knows? Manufacturers like to let their racing technology trickle down into their production vehicles. Why not Nissan?

'Los
Again, read some of the previous threads regarding the V8 Z theory before you post.
I sat with the chief designer for the Z at the Z Convention earlier this month in Cleveland and I was told NO V8 Z.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, I don't know what's up with the V8 speculation when the 370Z (3.7L V6 confirmed, and nothing else) is going to unveiled in a few weeks. One can repost 1+ year old articles with regards to Nissan's V8 and racing heritage. You can wish all you want, but what you see from Nissan is what you get. In the end, you'll have to make the best of whatever Nissan has to offer which is a fantastic V6 (VQ37VHR) - most notably a great step up for me (coming from a VQ35DE). (not trying to sound harsh hehe)

Have you seen the Z projects that are fitted with the Titan engine? They could barely get it to fit in the engine bay, and the hood had to stay off because of its height. The result would be an even larger rhino bump on the hood.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
VR38DETT

[QUOTE=DIGItonium;6499779] IMO, I don't know what's up with the V8 speculation when the 370Z (3.7L V6 confirmed, and nothing else) is going to unveiled in a few weeks. One can repost 1+ year old articles with regards to Nissan's V8 and racing heritage. You can wish all you want, but what you see from Nissan is what you get. In the end, you'll have to make the best of whatever Nissan has to offer which is a fantastic V6 (VQ37VHR) - most notably a great step up for me (coming from a VQ35DE). (not trying to sound harsh hehe)

Have you seen the Z projects that are fitted with the Titan engine? They could barely get it to fit in the engine bay, and the hood had to stay off because of its height. The result would be an even larger rhino bump on the hood.[/QUOTE
Actually the VK56de doesn't fit that bad. Second of all don't hate on the evolution. Historically There was the GTR at 280bhp and the 300zx TT at 280bhp both offered by Nissan Japan on the same showroom floor . Be conceptual and look outside the box for once. No hard feelings.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Glentismichel

huh.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Carlitos_G37

Originally Posted by zsport1
Again, read some of the previous threads regarding the V8 Z theory before you post.
I sat with the chief designer for the Z at the Z Convention earlier this month in Cleveland and I was told NO V8 Z.
Or maybe he wasn't ready to "let the cat out of the bag", yet.

Again, this thread was started simply because of the possibility of a V8 Z car.

Until Nissan comes out and makes an official statement saying "There will never be a V8 in a Z car", it's still a possibility. Again, racing technology tends to trickle down.

I realize GM is a totally different company, but for years no one thought they would ever come out with a FI Corvette. Now look at 'em. A blown 6.2L in the Corvette, a blown 6.2L in a Caddy, and (rumor has it) the possibility of a blown 6.2L in the Camaro.

And for how long did Nissan say they wouldn't bring the GT-R to the US? Guess what we have now.

'Los

Quick Reply: Nissan 450Z?