Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Nissan 370Z reliability -- better info ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 AM
mkaresh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan 370Z reliability -- better info ASAP

I wanted more up-to-date auto reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now reports absolute repair rates that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to report on new models like the 370Z quickly once enough owners sign up to participate.

We've had excellent participation by Nissan and Infiniti owners, and provided very quick initial results for the 2007 Versa, 2007 G35, 2008 G37, and 2009 Murano. We'd like to do the same for people interested in the 370Z.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Z, free of charge.

(Haven't bought a 370Z yet? Well, what's taking you so long? It is possible to sign up with your current car in the meantime.)

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 AM
Old Chuck

Default Mike

I would urge others to participate as surveys such as yours help us all. I have been on board for a few years for my two autos. I know you look at popular vehicles to get the right number of samples but would be interesting to look at Porsche. On their boards such as Rentech and Porsche Petes Boxster Board. In the 986 and 987(as well as 996) it is well known that there is a very rate of engine failure. Porsche will not publish any figures or answer any questions on the issue. Would be interesting to contact those boards to get some answers as they would love a good valid survey. On the Z, have not heard reports through the years on major engine failures but have heard of buring oil issues earlier and some tire feathering. Nissan seems to correct morst of their problems whereas Porsche tries small fixes instead of spending big bucks to effect a change. Nissan as a whole seems more responsive to customers or maybe they just want to grab more of the market where Porsche feels they have their niche and people will buy their marque regardless of possibility of engine failure once the cars are out of warranty.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:30 AM
mkaresh

Thanks, Old Chuck.

I'll include any car in the survey once at least 25 owners sign up. I don't care whether or not the car was popular, that simply effects our odds of getting enough participants. We already have over 75 Jaguar XFs and over 50 of the Hyundai Genesis and Pontiac G8, so low sales aren't necessarily a problem.

I learned of the Porsche engine failures through Stephan Wilkinson. I believe he posted about the research on at least Pete's board. I should track down those threads and post something myself. Currently not enough Boxster owners are signed up to include them in the main survey, but some years aren't far off.

I have yet to see common engine failures in any car. One possibility is that even when they're "common," they're not all that common. Another is that none of the most affected models are yet in the survey.

In generally, truly common problems are relatively minor. For example, in the Infiniti EX35 the fuel pump tends to require replacement for noise and the power-tilt motor for the steering wheel tends to fail. To give another, in the 2007 G35 sedan a piece of trim often fell out of the sunroof mechanism and the seat heater wiring often required replacement.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Old Chuck

Default Mike

Don't discount the Porsche engine issues as urban legend. Even Excellence magazine has stated that they may be as high as 20% which is significant. An engine builder Jake Ruby is involved with trying to find the cause of the issue with Porsche boxter, cayman and 996 engines. I know you need folks to look into a model but if you do get enough folks, look into this issue. Porsche will gladly replace any engine under warranty however, once the warranty is up the owner is on their own. These cars can be expensive to repair. Just a thought.....
Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 AM
mkaresh

I'm not discounting them, just not sure how common they are. 20% would be huge.

I did post at Pete's earlier, and received a decent response. I might do the same at a couple of other Boxster forums.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
melloyello370

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I'm not discounting them, just not sure how common they are. 20% would be huge.

I did post at Pete's earlier, and received a decent response. I might do the same at a couple of other Boxster forums.
Just an FYI since I noticed this thread..

My wifes 99 Boxster engine did fail at 55,000 miles. I was driving the car down the 405 fwy at about 75 mph when it happened. Urban legend? Think again. To make matters worse, the warranty was up at 50,000 so they (Porsche) said it was up to us to replace the engine to the tune of $15,000. That is until my lawyer of a wife set them straight at which point we got a replacement at no cost to us.

That car is currently for sale if anyone is interested...

I myself drive a new 370z and would like to take part in this ongoing survey!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Old Chuck

Default Mike and Mello

This is a more common occurance then most would believe. This has happened to more then one person on this board. One person thought it an isolated incident until his second engine went. He now drives an 08 350Z. I myself had almost closed the deal on a new 08 Boxster when I started looking at the amount of engine failures. Given that Porsche is not up front about the amount of failures and knows these engine have issues has kept me from helping Porsche pad their pockets. Many have had to pay out of pocket for these when out of warranty. Usually because of time not miles. I am now looking at the 370Z because I do not trust Porsche to stand behind their product. Is Porsche a great handling car, sure but will it last? Maybe the new DI engines without the IMS may be better but who knopeed ws. I know better then to trust Porsche. Mike, good luck getting any info from Porsche as they guard this like Fort Knox. Others have tried on various boards. In closing, I have not known the 350Z to have any long lasting expensive issues which the company has failed to address. The strange thing with the Porsche seems to be that most of the failures seem to occur in routine driving at a steady speed. Not, tracking or pushing it...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 AM
ChrisSlicks

One of the guys that runs auto-cross and track days with us has a GT3 RS. His engine blew at the end of last year, it was only a year old. Granted his does beat the snot out of it, but if you're buying a GT3 or GT2 you would think that they are designed to take the beating. Also it took him months to get the warantee repair, Porsche had run out of engines and was shipping the last GT3 engine they had from Germany. Lucky for him it was towards the end of the year and the car was going off the road soon anyway.

BTW I signed up for the survey with my 370z.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM
mkaresh

Originally Posted by melloyello370
I myself drive a new 370z and would like to take part in this ongoing survey!
Details and link to the enrollment form are here:

Car reliability research

No need to get any information from Porsche. Just need to get a few dozen owners signed up, then see how many engines fail, when how soon. 93 Boxsters and Caymans signed up so far, but they're spread across a dozen model years. But if yesterday's response continues, we'll get there.

207 owners now signed up for the 350Z, but only 3 for the 370Z so far. More needed to include it in the main survey.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
melloyello370

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Details and link to the enrollment form are here:

Car reliability research

No need to get any information from Porsche. Just need to get a few dozen owners signed up, then see how many engines fail, when how soon. 93 Boxsters and Caymans signed up so far, but they're spread across a dozen model years. But if yesterday's response continues, we'll get there.

207 owners now signed up for the 350Z, but only 3 for the 370Z so far. More needed to include it in the main survey.
Quick question: Is the survey only looking for stock vehicles? My 370Z is already under way with the tuning process (ECU reflash, full exhaust system, oil cooler, etc.). Does this sort of thing eliminate me from taking part in the survey?

--Michael
Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 PM
mkaresh

Thanks for asking.

Unless you have a heavily modified car, and yours doesn't seem to be, the mods aren't an issue. There are a few very broad questions about mods on the survey, so we can separate out modded cars if this proves necessary.

We do ask that problems that were clearly caused by mods or the process of adding them not be reported.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 AM
Old Chuck

Default Mike

I know you have done it in the past but could you contact Porsche Pete's Boxster Board as the IMS failure has been in the conversation again this week. It seems that builder Jake Raby is in the process of rebuilding several engines and trying to re-create some of the failure and now would be a great time to get some more responces from those guys.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:11 PM
mkaresh

I posted there for the first time a couple of days ago, because of your earlier suggestion. About 30 more owners have signed up since then, which is pretty good.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:19 AM
mkaresh

If just five more owners of the 370Z sign up to participate during April, we'll include the car in the survey starting next month.

Auto reliability research
Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM
mkaresh

Did not get those five. Could still start mid-month, though, if a few sign up in the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 AM
mkaresh

A few more owners have signed up. Unfortunately, the minimum to get started increases as the 2009 model year progresses, so we still need a few more.

Car reliability research
Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
I would urge others to participate as surveys such as yours help us all. I have been on board for a few years for my two autos. I know you look at popular vehicles to get the right number of samples but would be interesting to look at Porsche. On their boards such as Rentech and Porsche Petes Boxster Board. In the 986 and 987(as well as 996) it is well known that there is a very rate of engine failure. Porsche will not publish any figures or answer any questions on the issue. Would be interesting to contact those boards to get some answers as they would love a good valid survey. On the Z, have not heard reports through the years on major engine failures but have heard of buring oil issues earlier and some tire feathering. Nissan seems to correct morst of their problems whereas Porsche tries small fixes instead of spending big bucks to effect a change. Nissan as a whole seems more responsive to customers or maybe they just want to grab more of the market where Porsche feels they have their niche and people will buy their marque regardless of possibility of engine failure once the cars are out of warranty.
What you are saying is false. Porsche does fix their problems over the years. Between the 99-01 3.4l Boxer 6 the rms and intermediate shafts (boxster) in the boxsters were replaced by dealer. All the engines were properly fixed. As of now the 3.4l reside in the Cayman S. Also to note the 3.6l which followed after the 3.4 also recieved a much better rms. Which to date has no said problems of leaks or engine failure. These facts can all be checked at 6speedonline.com which is a primarily Porsche site.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 AM
mkaresh

Added the 2009 to the survey. Still short of the minimum, but at the rate owners are signing up we will get there. Sooner is of course better than later. Help make it sooner:

Car reliability research

Last edited by mkaresh; 07-17-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 AM
mkaresh

I'd like to have at least a partial result for the 370Z in November, but we'll need at least a few more participants for this to happen.

Details here:

Car reliability research
Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 AM
mkaresh

We'll have results for the new Camaro and Genesis Coupe next month, but not for the 370Z. Not quite enough owners participating.

We will have another update in February. With a few more participants, we will have a result then.

Help make this happen:

Car reliability research

Quick Reply: Nissan 370Z reliability -- better info ASAP