Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

My XM Sat Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 04:07 PM
netman_one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My XM Sat Radio Install

I went with the new XM2GO ($299) which sounds great in the ZR, and is also fully portable (w/5 hour battery) for the beach, pool, around/in the house, etc. Some quick pics below of my install. You will note only a small amount of wires show near the left base of the XM holder (black wires - barely notice them).

No dash removal required, just use a plastic knife edge to push the wires in between the padded dash, in a path straight down to the 12v outlet. The antenna wire also routes easy under weatherstriping from the center piece in the front of the Z. The black magnetic antenna is very small and blends in well.

Looks much better in person then these pics can convey. And the best part is you operate it (change channels) with the full function remote control while driving!
Attached Thumbnails My XM Sat Radio Install-dsc00416.jpg   My XM Sat Radio Install-dsc00412.jpg   My XM Sat Radio Install-dsc00415.jpg   My XM Sat Radio Install-dsc00408.jpg  

Last edited by netman_one; 06-02-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:38 PM
maxpowers

Cool. How does it interface with your head unit, through fm? Also I noticed your headunit is black, thats funny because mine is the same color as the dash (grayish).
Old 06-03-2005, 07:00 PM
netman_one

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Cool. How does it interface with your head unit, through fm? Also I noticed your headunit is black, thats funny because mine is the same color as the dash (grayish).
Yep - built in FM Transmitter (to any radio set on one of 12 frequencys).
Although not a direct wire job, seems it sounds great, and the placement of the XM antenna on the metal strip just above the windshield probally helps.

FWIW: The pics above were quickly taken at night with a camera flash in my garage, which makes my dash look Much lighter (in those pics) then it really is. My dash is actually dark black (no longer grayish) due to applications of fomula 2 from PPC. And the stereo unit may have turned somewhat darker due to the same product.

I installed the XM Wednesday on a sunny day, since then it has been constant rain. When it stops and we get some sun, will take some better pics in natural sunlight which will clearly show how it all looks. Meanwhile I have been playing with the XM2GO outside of the car and love all the features! One neat feature is ability to store 20 favorite songs by pressing the memory button while a song is playing live, or selecting any song from up to 5 hours of recorded tunes from any recently stored live broadcast.

Last edited by netman_one; 06-03-2005 at 07:23 PM.