Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Finished Smoothline Hardtop with PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
LOL - We had a guy from Oregon attend ZdayZ last year. You wouldn't be the first from such a distance.

It's a bummer that your car has been down for so long. I'm sure smoothlines wishes you were out there advertising for them.

If they will pay to ship it there and back, I'd be happy to mount it up on my Z and setup a display for them. Just provide a good crate, ship it directly to Fontana Village. When ZdayZ is over, I'll put it back in the crate and smoothlines can ship it back. Include some flyers or materials to pass out.
Yeah building a motor, swap out the auto, install a widebody partially only decide not to keep it, design a turbo kit slowly buy parts... all are individual beezys when you don't have time for it! But the car will be worth it in the end, I hope.
Oregon? Jeesus. I can't imagine driving all the way over just for a meet (regardless of what was going on)

If they pay for a train ride and ship the car over on the train I'd go. I'll just find somewhere to park and sleep in the car LOL. I promise I'll throw down
Old 12-18-2011, 05:47 PM
13ino13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. This completely changes my view on the roadster. I was thinking about this the other day when I saw an S2000 with a hardtop while driving in my 350Z, "What if the roadsters could come with hardtops..." I didn't know they actually existed. Looks great!
Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 AM
MB33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad at all!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM
WRSONG

I think smoothline should of spend more time and create a hardtop where it extend above the tonneau cover to the trunk lid and give it a more fast back look
Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by WRSONG
I think smoothline should of spend more time and create a hardtop where it extend above the tonneau cover to the trunk lid and give it a more fast back look
Yeah having to remove the top every time you want to open the trunk is totally functional hahahahaha
Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 PM
micdams

agreed with the fast back opinion they should design a top that has a hatch built in and replaces the factory trunk
Old 10-28-2012, 01:07 PM
WRSONG

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Yeah having to remove the top every time you want to open the trunk is totally functional hahahahaha
What I meant was cover the tonneau but the trunk will still be functional. Can't really put much in the trunk to start off with.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by WRSONG
What I meant was cover the tonneau but the trunk will still be functional. Can't really put much in the trunk to start off with.
It goes back past the top tail light, so they really couldn't go too much further.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 PM
laurentj23

Im ordering the cf finished tomorrow. Does it still required to be painted or is it just dropped and go?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by laurentj23
Im ordering the cf finished tomorrow. Does it still required to be painted or is it just dropped and go?
It's a 3m nidoc finish, so it doesn't need to be painted. It's just drop and go. You may find some issues with the rubber gasket fitting on the front of the top, I just trimmed mine off, but you will have to use your discretion whether or not you should trim it or have to.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 AM
laurentj23

Originally Posted by Resmarted
It's a 3m nidoc finish, so it doesn't need to be painted. It's just drop and go. You may find some issues with the rubber gasket fitting on the front of the top, I just trimmed mine off, but you will have to use your discretion whether or not you should trim it or have to.
How hard is it to uninstall the top? I read the instructions and it looks like a 30 mins job. I just put a deposit down and will be in by mid january.

Any leaks whatsoever during rain season?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 AM
scruggyj

Putting the top on and off only takes a few mins. It is easy but because of the size and shape it should be a two person job to pick up and put on the top.

Not too sure about the rain as mine is a 3rd car that is only driven on nice days. However when washing the car I may get a very small amount of water upon direct spray with the hose.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 AM
laurentj23

Originally Posted by scruggyj
Putting the top on and off only takes a few mins. It is easy but because of the size and shape it should be a two person job to pick up and put on the top.

Not too sure about the rain as mine is a 3rd car that is only driven on nice days. However when washing the car I may get a very small amount of water upon direct spray with the hose.

Awesome man! Thanks. Ill take pics when it arrives in 2 mos
Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 PM
ugame

Hi guys,

Just wondering of there are any updates on this and/or fresh pics of other installs?

Im in Australia and slowley getting into Rally style events but the soft top is a no go.
However I found out today that a bolt on Hard Top would allow my car entry into the events im aiming at in the future.

However, while this top looks like a good answer, its pricey especially when I'd have to pay freight to Australia etc etc.

Really dont want to sell my roaster which is an 08 model. But most of that is not because it's a roadster (I'm almost over that now, too easy to get sun burnt in perth haha) but because I know THIS car. Every car is diferent and I've owned this one direct from the dealer with only 11,000ks on the clock. Swapping to a coupe, even of the same year and K's, is still swapping into the "unknown".

un-decided.

And before anyone suggests it, the wife wont let me buy a 370 haha.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by ugame
Hi guys,

Just wondering of there are any updates on this and/or fresh pics of other installs?

Im in Australia and slowley getting into Rally style events but the soft top is a no go.
However I found out today that a bolt on Hard Top would allow my car entry into the events im aiming at in the future.

However, while this top looks like a good answer, its pricey especially when I'd have to pay freight to Australia etc etc.

Really dont want to sell my roaster which is an 08 model. But most of that is not because it's a roadster (I'm almost over that now, too easy to get sun burnt in perth haha) but because I know THIS car. Every car is diferent and I've owned this one direct from the dealer with only 11,000ks on the clock. Swapping to a coupe, even of the same year and K's, is still swapping into the "unknown".

un-decided.

And before anyone suggests it, the wife wont let me buy a 370 haha.
That's rough.
These things are very expensive, and the shipping would be a killer no doubt.

I'm not sure I can say it's worth it ultimately for a totally stock car. You should decide whether or not this rally thing is worth it to you! I don't understand why you need a hard top, it really won't add any safety to the car (at all). Why don't you contact smoothlines and see how much shipping would be for you?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 AM
ugame

the rally rules (targa west and targa Tas) state that no soft top or open cars are allowed.

No rush as I'm entering more entry level events at the moment while both me and the car evolve into something more ready for the larger events, so who knows what will happen between now and then.

I'm still toying with selling the 2008 Roadster and buying a beat up cheap 2003 coupe which I can strip right back and set up for rally.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by ugame
the rally rules (targa west and targa Tas) state that no soft top or open cars are allowed.

No rush as I'm entering more entry level events at the moment while both me and the car evolve into something more ready for the larger events, so who knows what will happen between now and then.

I'm still toying with selling the 2008 Roadster and buying a beat up cheap 2003 coupe which I can strip right back and set up for rally.
In retrospect, I wish I had picked up a coupe to build my car off of as-well. If you're even considering it, I would back that decision to get a coupe instead 100%.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM
ugame

cheers mate. That's the kind of advice and input im looking for.

You know what it's like though. Putting my roadster up for sale would be a MASSIVE step. Love it to bits.

If i do sell, I might even sit on the money for a year and see if either a 370Z comes my way, or see if the 2014 240Z rumours are true
Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 PM
murders

Resmarted, she looks professionally done to me. Looks great with silverstone, take some pics in the sun ! Thank you both for sharing.

Last edited by murders; 12-18-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by murders
Resmarted, she looks professionally done to me. Looks great with silverstone, take some pics in the sun ! Thank you both for sharing.
Car's going to be flat white when she's running again, but the CF + Silverstone is TASTY!

Quick Reply: Finished Smoothline Hardtop with PICS!