Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM
wrecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sub box 6 cubic feet

here is a sub box i made for the 350z.
it has a inner of 6 cubic feet.. tuned to 36HZ
ports fire towards the front of the car
box had to be assembled in the trunk , spare tire and all the other **** in there removed.
2 kicker L7 12 " atm ..
will be 2x15 hair trikkin in the future
more pics of the install coming
Attached Thumbnails sub box 6 cubic feet-pict3500.jpg   sub box 6 cubic feet-pict3504.jpg  

Last edited by wrecker; 09-05-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts

OMG.. please tell me your kidding.

Name:  dog-butt.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  38.9 KB
Old 09-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Bullitt5339

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the time you get it squeezed in there, and with that port configuration, you'd be louder and it would sound a hell of a lot better with a pair of 10's in 3 cubic ft with a proper alignment.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM
wrecker

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339
By the time you get it squeezed in there, and with that port configuration, you'd be louder and it would sound a hell of a lot better with a pair of 10's in 3 cubic ft with a proper alignment.
that's cool... but i'm going for spl not sq its gonna get fiber glassed and polly thrown in the side cubes
this port configuration is giving me the proper displacement for these subs
i havent seen many ppl go for a maximum inclosure, so i decided to do something different

Last edited by wrecker; 09-06-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts

props for different, or should i say props for a first time try.. but theres zero sonic advantage to a box that big.. how about ZIP for power handling, an extremely small bandwidth and ports facing a different direction that the cone of the driver.. and excessivley heavy box for a car with very little hp that is ultra afffected by added weight.
If youre going for SPL, this aint the way to do it.
Use multiple small drivers.. no one SPLs at 32 hz. Period.
Youre stepping on the gas and the breakes with your design.

Anyways.. im unsubbing before i punch myself for posting twice.

Seriously tho.. why would you do that to any car?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Bullitt5339

As a former Multiple SPL Winner in IDDBL Pro 0-500 and NSPL Pro Trunk, let me give you a bit of advice:

That's nowhere near a good SPL setup. Kicker subs except for the Solo X really don't SPL well in competition for the most part, the box panels are going to flex itself apart under any SPL stress, they're too large and aren't double or triple walled MDF. And subs up, port forward is a horrible configuration for an SPL hatchback. Go to a few real IDBL or DB Drag competition and look at what the other hatchback cars are running (if you can sneak a peak, they're pretty secretive), I think you'd be surprised. The loudest hatchback cars (without a wall) are typically 10" subwoofer setups. Subwoofer facing forward, external aero ports to the rear or to the side (depending on vehicle). And like bmccann said, no SPL competitor tunes their box for 32hz. Typical hatchback SPL competitors are tuned around 52-60hz, depending on where their individual vehicles peak at. Many many many hours are spent finding the vehicle's peak frequency. No two vehicles are the same.

The reason why people don't go with huge enclosures is because they simply don't measure up. A properly designed box with the proper alignment will always win out over "bigger is better".

Name:  2011-09-06_17-07-38_420.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  63.3 KB

Last edited by Bullitt5339; 09-06-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few pointers for you.

1. L7's don't like circle ports (words of Kicker tech support) it takes way less space to get the same amount of cu.in of port by going rectangle. This could be proven wrong with the newer models see #3

2. 2 subs should be split down the middle.

3. Ports don't look big enough to make it the exact amount kicker recommends. I had 1 kicker 15" L7 in my old mini van and my port was probably 3x the size of that and it was only for 1 sub. I don't remember the math as I haven't done this stuff in years but it involves 3.16 for pie.

Will it still sound fine? Yes but it isn't reaching the full potential which it looks like that's what your going for.

My 15" was powered by 300w and used shake peoples house windows when I drove by.

My friend had 4 L7 10's in his ext cab F150 and you couldn't sit in it for more then 2 mins without feeling like a firecracker went off too close to your eardrum.

We built every single box exactly like the one listed on this link (Kicker Site)

Both our boxes were drawn up and approved by kicker tech support.

I do like the idea but I feel like you might be a little mislead on design. I could be 100% wrong I haven't been into car audio in probably 7 years but that was all true last time I was into it.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Bullitt5339

Originally Posted by morphiusrt

1. L7's don't like circle ports (words of Kicker tech support) it takes way less space to get the same amount of cu.in of port by going rectangle. This could be proven wrong with the newer models see #3

3. Ports don't look big enough to make it the exact amount kicker recommends. I had 1 kicker 15" L7 in my old mini van and my port was probably 3x the size of that and it was only for 1 sub. I don't remember the math as I haven't done this stuff in years but it involves 3.16 for pie.

Will it still sound fine? Yes but it isn't reaching the full potential which it looks like that's what your going for.

My 15" was powered by 300w and used shake peoples house windows when I drove by.

My friend had 4 L7 10's in his ext cab F150 and you couldn't sit in it for more then 2 mins without feeling like a firecracker went off too close to your eardrum.

We built every single box exactly like the one listed on this link (Kicker Site)

I do like the idea but I feel like you might be a little mislead on design. I could be 100% wrong I haven't been into car audio in probably 7 years but that was all true last time I was into it.
IMHO, any box store brand's enclosure recommendations are always a compromise of space and port length. SQ guys shoot for that magic .707 alignment, SPL guys don't go by any specs, they build the enclosure as large as possible for proper alignment and through testing on the Termlab, they start shrinking it down until it peaks. Then they play with tuning frequencies and start the process all over again until they reach the loudest possible combination of box volume, port area and tuning.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM
morphiusrt

I wouldn't say a 6 cuft box with a 14"x4"x20" port is any type of compromise. I think that was the dimensions of my old box.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Bullitt5339

That's only 56 square inches of port area. If I was building a 6 cubic ft box for music, I would shoot for around 75-85 square inches of port......... So yes, that's a compromise. I like 12-14 square inches of port area per cubic ft of enclosure volume ideally. No less than 12. If I can't get 12, I recommend a smaller subwoofer.

Last edited by Bullitt5339; 09-06-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 PM
wrecker

thanks for all the info everyone..
all in all this is a test box for fun. . i build boxes over and over .. and i can add layers to beef up this box.. fiberglass ect.. im planing on 2x 15" but im gonna play around with these sub for the time being..
just wondering if 2x 15 if there will be enough airspace in the cabin area.. and where to fit extra batteries ..

as for the port location.. ya its not my preference, but that's where it works n this car.. plus i can play with the sizes..
i wanted to go with 2x 6 inch id ports.. but couldn't find any in town =(

and i shouldn't have said spl i guess. im not gonna be burping this or anything like that.. just going for loud and low..

as for the 6 cubes.. i was just aiming for the larger size for what kicker recommends for there subs.. they say 1.75-3.25 per sub for vented box.. also for space for different applications.

Last edited by wrecker; 09-06-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
wrecker

i have never herd of kicker saying not to use round ports..
the boxes kicker makes and sells for all there L7 applications all have round ports and Polly in them.. i guess anyone can argue about what they like or whats better.. but i have had nothing but good results from aero ports .. and like to try some exo octo ports...

Last edited by wrecker; 09-06-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Bullitt5339

It's just hard to get proper port area using round ports in larger boxes because of the length they end up being if you use enough. Using 4-4" ports, you've only got 50ish square inches of port, which is on the small side for 6 cubic ft. The problem is, if you add more, you'll run into length problems using the round ports and they won't fit in the box.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM
wrecker

It's just hard to get proper port area using round ports in larger boxes because of the length they end up being if you use enough. Using 4-4" ports, you've only got 50ish square inches of port, which is on the small side for 6 cubic ft. The problem is, if you add more, you'll run into length problems using the round ports and they won't fit in the box.
point taken .. thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 12:19 PM
My LT Won

i am also going for spl in the 350z. i would also like to say, ditch those garbage subs for one, for two, they don't have near enough airspace, 3:, you need to go subs up port up. what amp/amps are you running?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:32 PM
My LT Won

you have no clue what your talking about.

also your buddies 4 l7 10's are not impressive. your 15" on 300watts deffinately isn't either. just because you haven't heard anything loud and those weak setups seem loud too you, they are not impressive.

the audio section on this website is a joke.

Last edited by My LT Won; 09-10-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:35 PM
My LT Won

that's why you use flared aero ports, you can get away with less port area. making them effective in saving a little space.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Bullitt5339

Originally Posted by My LT Won
that's why you use flared aero ports, you can get away with less port area. making them effective in saving a little space.
That's a compromise as well. While it will work, having the proper airspace/port area is the best option. And subs up, port up is not the best alignment for either SPL or SQ, I will promise you that.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:42 PM
dkmesa350z

Beautiful! I had 2 12" L7s in my Z a few years ago powered by a USAmps MD2D in a sealed enclosure. Couldn't imagine that setup.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
My LT Won

That's a compromise as well. While it will work, having the proper airspace/port area is the best option. And subs up, port up is not the best alignment for either SPL or SQ, I will promise you that.
sub up port up is best in the 350z. it's not a one setup works best for all vehicles. my other vehicle will be subs up port back. which seems to work best in suv's.

defaintely sacrafices when working with the small space in the z. my btl 12's are squeezed in my z with about 1.95 cubes per sub.

also as far as his tuning frequency i'm sure he want's a loud muscial setup like i do. not a burp box tuned around the cars renosonce frequency.

if he wants to get loud he should throw those l7's in the trash and look at new woofers.

Quick Reply: sub box 6 cubic feet